Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your blood type?
YES 124 81.05%
NO 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious by just how many people know their blood type. I personally have no clue and am always paranoid that I have some rare blood type that will make it difficult for me to seek treatment

curious does anyone here know their blood type, and if you do, do you have it written down somewhere in case you get into an accident so doctors will know immediately what type you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
I'm type O Positive. I knew mine from when i was in the navy as it was on my dog tags that i wore back then and that i still have and sometimes i still wear them.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
You really should find out. It's to your benefit and also to others. You may have some rare form of antibody and your blood could be a life saver for someone. I knew a woman that was "on call" at our local blood center because she was one of the few people that did. She was well paid when someone needed it and she was able to give.

No reputable hospital or doctor will give a person any blood without first checking the type. They wouldn't take the word of the patient or any piece of paper that had it written down. It would be a start, but the type would be checked.

My husband is A negative. I, and all our children are A positive.

A person story coming up. I worked in a doctor's office once. He came in and asked if any of us were A positive. He had a really bad surgery case coming up and needed a lot and the hospital was on short supply. My boys were home on Spring vacation, I called and got them out of bed and sent them to the blood center. 3 units...just like that. He (and I hope the patient) was most grateful.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,170 times
AB negative here. As rare as they come. I have a blood card from when I donated blood. It has my type on it so I keep it in my wallet. All you have to do is ask your doctor because if they have ever drawn blood, I am sure it has been typed at some point and is on your record.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,328 times
A neg here ----
Husband is O Pos
Son #1: A Pos
Son #2: O Neg

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
They were paid? My father had AB- and he was always contacted by blood banks from all over and nobody ever offered to pay him anything.

A couple of years ago, I saw a notice in a local paper asking for people with my type (B+) to get in touch with someone who needed help. He lived in the next town, and since I've donated before, I e-mailed the guy and offered some blood - it turned out he wanted a lung.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
B-. I've always known, because the only type rarer in the U.S. is AB-, so it's pretty in demand. In the last state I lived in, there was a place to put your blood type on your license, on back where the organ donor info goes. I don't think there's a spot for it on the licenses where I currently live. I'll have to check.

Unfortunately, due to severe iron deficiency anemia, I'm not allowed to give blood.

My boyfriend just informed me that he doesn't know his blood type.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,875 times
If both parents have the same blood type, does that mean their child must be that blood type as well? Both of my parents are A-positive (I know this because they donate blood a lot). I've never given blood and have no idea what my blood type is, but I'm assuming it's A-positive as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I have no clue either.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
If both parents have the same blood type, does that mean their child must be that blood type as well? Both of my parents are A-positive (I know this because they donate blood a lot). I've never given blood and have no idea what my blood type is, but I'm assuming it's A-positive as well.
No but you could only be A+ or O+.

Your parents are either AA or AO (A is dominant, O is recessive) and therefore gave you an A or an O. If both parents gave you an A, you are AA and therefore A. If one gave an A and one an O, You are AO but still an A. If both gave O you will be an O.

Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness