Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times

Advertisements

I am glad of that in the case of tylenol and advil, because I normally only take one pill and I'm fine for 6-8 hours. Also, while my kids are still too young for anything other than Children's Motrin, I probably would give them one regular Advil once they are big enough for 200 mg at a time and also able to swallow pills.

I do have a question for those in the know, though:

Is generic ibuprofen really the same as taking name-brand advil or motrin? Are the amounts of active ingredient closely monitored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
Generic is fine. My blood pressure medicine is generic and I pay only $4.00 for it. It's recommended to go generic.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I am glad of that in the case of tylenol and advil, because I normally only take one pill and I'm fine for 6-8 hours. Also, while my kids are still too young for anything other than Children's Motrin, I probably would give them one regular Advil once they are big enough for 200 mg at a time and also able to swallow pills.

I do have a question for those in the know, though:

Is generic ibuprofen really the same as taking name-brand advil or motrin? Are the amounts of active ingredient closely monitored?
When I get prescriptions, I usually get the generic since it's a lot cheaper, but sometimes there's a difference. It really depends. It's not psychological either, since there are times I wasn't even aware I was taking a generic drug and noticed the difference.

I know the last post on this thread was in 2009 (well, I just realized it after I posted) but I began experiencing terrible indigestion after taking 2 Equate brand ibuprofen (purchased at Walmart) last week. The bottle was 24 pills for $0.97 so I figured I'd try it. When my stomach started to bother me, I thought it was something I ate, but tonight I took 2 of the same pills and I have indigestion again. Maybe it's the coating on the pill or one of the added ingredients (coloring, fillers) that is causing me stomach problems, but this cannot be a coincidence. Motrin is so darn expensive, but I think I'll buy the name brand instead.

By the way, the topic is "why is it always 2?" and I don't see that direction all the time. In fact, the Equate ibuprofen directions read "start with 1." I know you can take up to 4, but 1 might work. In the past, before it was an OTC drug, I got prescription Motrin 800. That's equal to 4 OTC pills which are 200 ea. If I have a very bad headache, I'll start out with 2 pills and take a 3rd in an hour if I'm still hurting. I rarely take 4.

Maybe it's like milk. I mean, milk is milk, right? However, I've been buying Publix 2% milk for a long time and whenever I buy Walmart 2%, it goes sour quicker - either that, or I just don't like the taste. There are just some mysteries in life we can never answer.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-08-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness