Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,998,362 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see Michael Moore's 'Sicko'? What did you think of it? I missed the first half so I'm going to watch it again tonight but it sure prompted a lot of questions about our country's healthcare so I'd be interested in what others have to say about it, both here and abroad. What details, particularly, should I watch for when I watch tonight, anything special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 PM

931 posts, read 3,801,830 times
Don't waste your money or time watching it.

It's garbage entertainment.

All he does is take people's statements out of context and make them look stupid.

It's entertainment, NOT a source of education.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,719 times
I agree. The movie makes it sound like healthcare in other countries is vastly superior to ours. What he doesn't note is that the subsidized healthcare is causing massive financial strains on the economy of these countries. Many countries do not cover dental. Do you know why? Because the cost for medical is already sky-high, so they couldn't afford to include dental.

The UK provides free dental though. I've had 3 patients come from the UK to PAY me to do their dental work because they say the system there is horrible.

Here's another thought. Ever heard of the phrase, "you get what you pay for"? If you want superior healthcare, you're going to have to pay a premium to a person who's willing to put the time and effort into becoming an excellent doctor in exchange for good compensation. This is where government and insurance company intervention breaks down. The government must collect taxes to pay for healthcare. They want to make it "affordable", so they minimize tax collections and choose to pay hospitals less. If a hospital wants to pay a competitive wage to its doctors, the hospital has to lower customer service and increase volume---i.e., you wait longer and spend less time with a doctor. The more people on this plan---especially those that don't pay their fare share---the worse this gets. The best way to improve it is to collect more taxes, but that won't be popular. How about cutting doctor salaries? Sure. But are the smartest people going to want to become doctors? Put in 8-15 years, thousands of additional hours, and $100,000+ in loans to earn the same amount as someone who didn't have to do that? You get what you pay for...

I'm not against universal healthcare, by the way. Access to healthcare for everyone should be a universal right. How to go about doing it is the question... one that's as difficult to solve as this economy!

One final point, one that really irks me about Michael Moore documentaries. He tries to be the champion of the blue collar worker, but he's no longer one of them. He's a multi-millionaire. Since you earned it on the backs of blue collar workers, and you decry how corporations use and abuse "little guys", why don't you give some back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness