Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

If you were appointed King or Queen of fitness, would would you do to help Americans become more fit & healthy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Talking If I were Queen of Fitness........

Starting in Kindergarten.... and continuing through High School...... EDUCATE students in nutrition so they understand the difference between eating natural whole foods vs. processed products = an apple or an apple-pop-tart, a potatoe or potato chips, a chicken breast or chicken-mc-nuggets .......... ETC !

Then continue the education in every grade, designed for the age level ! As part of the studies, educate the children about the results of poor nutrition choices..... obesity, diabetes, heart disease, auto-immune diseases, ETC.

As part of the studies, educate them about the benefits of physical activity - make it fun for the students!

Compel the students to be role-models for their parents and to avoid temptations from outside sources!

EDUCATION is what I'd stress if I were Queen of Fitness

Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I would ban all artificial sweeteners! Your body doesn't know what to do with that stuff! Real sugar isn't harmful, in moderate amounts, and your body knows how to process it!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Make sure all schools (elementary, junior high and high school) had P.E. and intramural sports like we did back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Make sure all schools (elementary, junior high and high school) had P.E. and intramural sports like we did back in the 70's and 80's.
I agree.I think we used to have gym class everyday when I was a kid.Along with that,track meets and all kinds of playing outside activities.We used to walk to school and then run around and play before school started.My kids now have gym once a week.They can't get to school to early because no one is there to supervise.We have a neighborhood,walking distance school,and half the parents in the neighborhood still drive/pick-up their kids from school.Either because it's raining,too cold, or they need to get them off to their next activity.It's a sad state of affairs!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
When I was a kid and got my first two wheel bike I was always off on it--it was my ticket to freedom. Great bike--chartreuse and black, one-speed, balloon tires. Guess many kids today play a lot of video games indoors? I don't see very many kids playing outside, roller-skating, biking, though there are some younger teen boys on skateboards. Ramping up the exercise as other posters have suggested seems a good start...wonder what other actions might be?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
outlaw cars and junk foods....boy that will make me popular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness