Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times

Advertisements

Mine is not meniers disease, it is just tinnitus but believe me that is bad enough. I've had an MRI of the brain which the noise just about killed me and hearing tests with an ENT and yes I have hearing loss and could have an hearing aid but as far as the tinnitus, well it won't kill you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
You should check your blood pressure, ears for wax or any kind of infection or a problem with drainage of the ears or nose. Have you had any loud noises or any impact to the head or even a stroke or severe stress. so many things could be responsible. have you just been on a airoplane?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My brother-in-law had it for awhile, and found the only thing that worked was revising his diet to salt and sugar free, including alcohol. <>
My diet includes a lot of alcohol, as you suggest, but now my liver is screwed up.
"what'd he say?"

Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
You should check your blood pressure, ears for wax or any kind of infection or a problem with drainage of the ears or nose. Have you had any loud noises or any impact to the head or even a stroke or severe stress. so many things could be responsible. have you just been on a airoplane?
None of the above. Long term environmental noises, cars, machinery, boats, concerts, they don't have an answer, just is what it is!!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Red wine is very very good for you
not too much though

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

try a radio tuned out of a staion

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
What is Meiners please? I saw an ENT today they are referring me for a hearing test. If that comes out OK then they told me there was nothing that can be done. Told me to sleep with a fan, radio or TV on which I do but it can only be masked at this point no cures yet.
I see someone posted about what Meiners is. There is no cure for it, the low salt diet helps control the dizziness and nausea. I have learned to live with constant ringing, sometimes I even forget about it. At night I sleep with two white noise makers and a fan. The hearing loss is much more irritating to me than the ringing.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
oh ok because I mentioned it to my daughter who is an audiologist. I can't pass along what she said though as she won't givie advice on these forums.

Maybe you should consult an audiologist or an ENT and not a nurse who may or may not know all the ins and outs of such.

nurses are a good resource for ent dr's that have dealt with tinnitus in a large number of pts.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
nurses are a good resource for ent dr's that have dealt with tinnitus in a large number of pts.
I disagree in terms of a nurse being updated on the technology involved in implants;which is what the conversation was about.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
meniers disease is a disease of the inner ear. it causes nausea and loss of balance. It is to do with the cochlea
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Oh Jaxson, I am so sorry, if your ringing or whatever noise you have doesn't go away then join the rest of us for the Tinnitus marathon. Ears are bad tonight, seem to get worse at night, sleep with a fan and say" be the fan, be the fan"!! When I sleep, that is the only relief I have. Wake up....? Ringing!!

Mine started out about 5 years ago hearing a clicking when I turned my head told the doc they didn't think it was anything. Then it turned into the Rice Krispie sounds~snap, crackle, pop now constant crickets buzzing getting louder and louder. They did see some fluid in one of my canals that has to be my loss of balance and dizziness that my family doc can't find out why. I've had the MRI also I just kept picturing me floating in a pool the whole test!

Quote:
Ménière's disease (pronounced /meɪnˈjɛərz/[1]) is a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance. It is characterized by episodes of dizziness and tinnitus and progressive hearing loss, usually in one ear. It is caused by lymphatic channel dilation,[2] affecting the drainage of endolymph. It is named after the French physician Prosper Ménière, who first reported that vertigo was caused by inner ear disorders in an article published in 1861.[3]
Thank you long time posters here know I have country 24K dial up so searching the Internet is quite hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I see someone posted about what Meiners is. There is no cure for it, the low salt diet helps control the dizziness and nausea. I have learned to live with constant ringing, sometimes I even forget about it. At night I sleep with two white noise makers and a fan. The hearing loss is much more irritating to me than the ringing.
They did say there is a special vibrator you could get to put under your pillows to help mask. We didn't go into details but I will try to ask when I go back in a couple of weeks. It seems like mine gets so loud in the evenings I have to have the TV up so loud my kids are about ready to sit in the other room. Maybe I am busier during the day that I don't notice how loud it is plus I hardly ever have the TV on during the day so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness