Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The client I visited this morning mentioned that her hearing was very acute. Almost anything keeps her awake.

They have a drive-under garage and she heard a hissing sound from the first floor. Her husband went to check and found a tire going flat! He couldn't hear it until he opened the door to the garage.

Speaking of conversations: One of the oddities of my hearing loss/Tinnitus is that although I cannot hear the people at my own table in a loud environment (restaurant, etc) I can hear entire conversations from across the room.
I am the same way,strange!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I'm way late on this subject, but tinnitus was explained to me this way by a doctor in Fort Worth, TX: Tinnitus is caused by the brain attempting to "hear" what it cannot, for whatever reason(s). There is a device available, about the size of an iPod, that, through a somewhat long-term regime of listening to programs made specifically for the individual, will "retrain" the brain to not hear what it cannot hear. Cost? Around $6K.
Well, I suppose I had better stick my hand up as well here, 'cos I have it in the right ear, and sometimes it seems like it goes to the middle of my head, which I guess means maybe it 'seems' to move toward the left ear occasionally, but it's the right one that I have it most.

I just read another post regarding "hearing more acute", strange that, because even though I can't understand most of what is on the tv, as an example, (I have no problem hearing the tv, but understanding a single word that is being spoken is a totally different story), my wife can be a couple of rooms away in the house and if I am in bed and she makes the SLIGHTEST noise it sounds like an atom bomb has gone off right next to my head. I can't believe how LOUD a sound can be from so far away and yet I have trouble understanding what she says right next to me, DUUH? I got to say this really freaks me out why it should be so.

I rep'd someone else for making the comment, words to the effect, "what we can't cure we must learn to endure", and that pretty much sums it up for me as well. My wife says it must drive me crazy, and she's right, it does, but I don't tell her that though.

I also feel for anyone who has this ridiculous ailment, but I've decided to just say that I am a member of an 'elite club'. Because I am well over the 50 age mark, I tell younger people that I am in an 'elite' club now and one has to 'earn' the right to become a member.

Oh, the reason I stuck this post here was because, in answer to the above poster, I have had it explained that it is 'damage' to the tiny hairs deep within the ear which brings it on. All these little hairs normally stand upright, (for the want of a better explanation), but some get damaged and 'fall over' if you get my drift. That's another theory I guess.

Cheers to all my fellow 'members'.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I've had this buzzling sound in the left ear all the time.If I am tired the sound gets louder. The doctor says it's old age,nothing I can do about it.I am only 50 something,Does anyone had that problem and was cured? Right now it is loud because it's the end of the day.
I am also fifty something with sort of the same problem...i've discovered sleeping on the left side every night dramatically eased
the buzzing and cleared up the partially plugged left ear...try this...hope it works for you also.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
I recently thought that when I took Alieve instead of Advil mine was worse. Today my right ear is ringing violently and I've had nothing for a couple of days. All I know for a fact is that I wish there was a cure.....

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
It's a problem I've been battling as well. I have googled it all over the net. I've seen sites that mentioned ginko helping some people, melatonin 3mg., and some vitamin combinations. Not sure if anything really helps. Also Xanax was mentioned. Right now I am trying the melatonin and the vitamins. As has been pointed out, mostly what helps is just not focusing on it.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Most days I don't notice mine so much as I have gotten to where I sort of ignore it. And then there are days like today where it is extremely loud and nothing distracts from it.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Most days I don't notice mine so much as I have gotten to where I sort of ignore it. And then there are days like today where it is extremely loud and nothing distracts from it.
Yes, I have better & worse times too. I know what you mean.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
For ringing in the ears try Lipo-Flavonoid, it's over the counter, take two pills three times a day, it doesn't work as it did when I first started using it, but it helps, you can get it at Walgreens, Walmart, CVS.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM

215 posts, read 652,263 times
Default Ringing in my ears.....Stop the madness ! !

I've had tinnitus for about 12 years now. I have tried vitamins, herbal remedies, accupuncture, chiropractic care, just about everything that people have told me. I've even had a doctor tell me to use a electric toothbrush and run it beside my ears a few minutes a day....hows that one? Well, I still have it and wondered if anybody has tried something that has worked for them. Mine is a very high pitch - Cicada sounding - both ears. Anybody with honest suggestions?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Cochlear implants are supposed to help... Ever asked a doctor about those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness