Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times

Advertisements

This is wonderful news!

ScienceDaily (Jan. 31, 2009) — Two common strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, commonly known as MRSA, were virtually eradicated in the laboratory by exposing them to a wavelength of blue light, in a process called photo-irradiation.

Antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections represent an important and increasing public health threat.
At present, fewer than 5% of staphylococcal strains are susceptible to penicillin, while approximately 40%-50% of Staph aureus isolated have developed resistance to newer semisynthetic antibiotics such as methicillin as well.

"It is inspiring that an inexpensive naturally visible wavelength of light can eradicate two common strains of MRSA.
Developing strategies that are capable of destroying MRSA, using mechanisms that would not lead to further antibiotic resistance, is timely and important for us and our patients," says Chukuka S. Enwemeka, PhD, FACSM, Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal and first author of the study.

The article will appear in the April 2009 issue (Volume 27, Number 2) of the peer-reviewed journal Photomedicine and Laser Surgery.

Blue Light Destroys Antibiotic-resistant Staph Infection

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Old post but does anyone know if this might work on animals?
My cat has MRSA infection on his abdomen for months...didn't know it was there for long time because vet said it had healed...which was inaccurate.
Cat has had culture which showed 3 antibiotic's would work so has been on one for 3 wks.
Initially seemed to be making headway but sat too him in for water washing of wound and it was very raw/red and looked like any progress was lost...
Very disheartened

Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,355,231 times
I can't answer your question about blue light, but two other things may work on MRSA. One is high-quality colloidal silver, and the other is Manuka honey. Both work in such a way that bacteria cannot become resistant to them. I know of one person who had MRSA in hospital, and a family member used Manuka honey on them and cured it. Good luck with your cat.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
I can tell you that for many years ultraviolet light has been used in salt water fish tanks to kill microbes. A long ultraviolet tube is placed above the fish tank with a light cover.
Water is then rushed by the tube, and anything living in it is killed. (microbe-size)
The lights last about 6 months before needing to be replaced due to weakening beam, and the water has to be within so many millmeteres of the light.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
I got a blue light for acne - wavelength 465 nm, that is also supposed to kill the MRSA bacteria. It takes longer for the light to penetrate beyond the surface of the skin (for topical acne bacteria) to reach infected spots, but from what the seller of the light wrote it will reach MRSA infected areas.

If you use a light like that for your cat it will have to sit still for 10 minutes. And have to wear eye protection for yourself, AND your pet as well because blue light is very damaging for your eyes. The one I have emits crazy bright glare.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Our cat now in FL w/ us
This vet uses blue light but says doesnt kill stsph
Just promotes healing
Whatever
Trying it
6 sessions for 150 or something
Second dose Sat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness