U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:40 PM

252 posts, read 1,009,791 times

Advertisements

I don't think I get enough vegetables in my diet, so I usually have a cup of vegetable juice in the mornings.......Is this comprable as it claims to be? Do any of you feel any difference when you drink it? How many of you drink it?

Also, I am considering buying some Ensure, or the like for anything I am lacking! Is this something that would be beneficial to me? And how many of you drink that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,760,569 times
Cool The real truth.........

Nothing takes the place of real, fresh veggies or whole natural, unprocessed food - regardless what the commercials and manufacturers of processed food say!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,207,572 times
I drink V-8 every day. My dietitian suggested this as a good method to help fill out my daily veggie requirements. It sure isn't going to hurt you.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,917,170 times
I can't handle veggie or fruit juice.. I DO try to eat 5 pieces of fruit a day as well as a big salad.. I have been thinking about making my own veggie juice with tomatoes, celery, onions and whatever else I could find to put in it, just for something not loaded with sugar to drink.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,002,144 times
I love Ensure and my doctor said it has every vitamin and mineral you need. The chocolate is yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. Unfortunately it makes me constipated-like real bad; so I can no longer drink it. But yes it is healthy to drink it and tasty!! I miss being able to drink it.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,942,727 times
Certain nutrients are better absorbed from natural food sources. Veggies are not just about nutrients the water,fiber and anti-oxidant content is what gives you that boost. I feel in my body the natural foods work better for making me feel good. And you want that high fiber to keep away the colon cancer..or at least thats what they are saying this year...lol

Get a juicer if you cant eat it.

Put veggies in soup or meatloafs, replace a meat dinner with a veggie pattie one.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM

5,354 posts, read 14,434,859 times
It's always best to EAT your food--not drink it!
Just start adding more veggies to your menu! It'll be cheaper than Ensure or supplements and better for you, too!
Canned or frozen are fine--you don't have to do the "fresh" stuff, if that's too much trouble. The nutrition factor is almost the same for canned, and IS the same, for frozen!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 30,488 times
i dont drink that but if anything you should drink a cup of orange juice,have eggs,bacon,and toast,then a cup of cofee.after that dont eat until lunch.what im saying is you should eat what im recomending!its much better and is a REAL breakfast.you should try it.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,002,144 times
True, but in the event that someone can't eat properly then Ensure is an excellent alternative. I learned that working at a cancer center and a lot of cancer patients on treatments just could not eat. Not eating at all is a no no; so Ensure provided what they needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
It's always best to EAT your food--not drink it!
Just start adding more veggies to your menu! It'll be cheaper than Ensure or supplements and better for you, too!
Canned or frozen are fine--you don't have to do the "fresh" stuff, if that's too much trouble. The nutrition factor is almost the same for canned, and IS the same, for frozen!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM

931 posts, read 3,565,141 times
The vegetables juices and all that V8 stuff is complete crap just loaded with sodium. It tastes terrible!!!

Learn to cook and use fresh vegetables.

People forget that some vegetables have a natural sweetness to them and the trick is to pair them with the other vegetables.

Carrots (not those disgusting, tasteless baby carrots, but REAL WHOLE CARROTS) - are sweet and can be used to flavor soups along with fresh tomatoes

Mushrooms - have a unique sweetness and earlthyness to them, try to eat more portobella, shiitake and other mushrooms. You can put them in soup or just grill them or saute them

*Spinach & Cabbage - are the ultimate vegetables because they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Put spinach on everything. Put it with chicken, put it on a sandwich, put it in your soup, put it with your pasta.

Onion - is another naturally sweet vegetable, use yellows/spanish onions for italian cooking, white for all other and green for soups. Put onion with your quinoa, put it with your omlette, soup, mashed potatoes, fish etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness