Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had a specific incident of taking a brand name drug and then a generic and getting different results ?

I am beginning to wonder if my metformin tablets are really working at all. My fasting/am reading never goes below 150, no matter what I do. A couple of nights ago, I didn't take the night time dose and my fasting reading was 163. Approximately the same scenario the next night. I take my pm metformin the next nights and it is the same as without. I am taking a generic and have for some time. I can't honestly say I thought they were much help. I am going to try and get a new prescription and try somewhere else.

YEars ago, I had a prescription for Desyrel (?), I took for awhile to help me sleep. I started taking a generic and it was so different. Not near as strong but I liked that. It didn't make me feel as groggy the next day. So that was a good thing but, definitely different reaction. I had a family member that was taking the same drug and had the same reaction when switched to generic. I haven't taken either drug for years but I distinctly remember the result.

I was curious if others have had the same reaction with brand versus generic. Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have had other experiences but with not as notable results.

(excuse the odd posts. Trying something out.....<s>)

Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Speak with your physician, no one here would have any idea about your reactions to a specific drug and it is unlikely that anyone else would have the same reaction.

https://www.google.com/#q=generic+drugs+

Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Speak with your physician, no one here would have any idea about your reactions to a specific drug and it is unlikely that anyone else would have the same reaction.

https://www.google.com/#q=generic+drugs+
I wasn't speaking about what they thought of my reactions but their own experiences with they had had their own type of incident.

I have spoken to a physician. He said manufacturers are only required to put in 75 % of the original drug into a generic. He switched another drug I was on (blood pressure med) from generic back to brand name. Had to be cleared with my Medicare Part B provider.

thx for your input.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
It is generally well known that thyroid medications can vary in their effectiveness between brand name and generic. I believe I heard it has something to do with the fillers/additives that different manufacturers use.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
My doctor said the reason many generic drugs are not as effective as the brand name drugs is because the 'inactive' ingredients in the generic formulas are not as 'effective' as the inactive ingredients in the brand name medications.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My doctor said the reason many generic drugs are not as effective as the brand name drugs is because the 'inactive' ingredients in the generic formulas are not as 'effective' as the inactive ingredients in the brand name medications.
This is exactly what I was told. I have to take the name brand thyroid medicine because the generic just does not work as well. I also had the same problem with a generic antidepressant. The name brand was way too expensive, so the doc just switched me to a different med.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I don't seem to have any problems with generic brands. Maybe I am just lucky.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I don't have any problems with generics.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:50 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
i have no problems with my generic synthroid which does not come from america .. i have no job and no insurance at the moment but still need my meds ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness