Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

I am normally the suck it up type. I have asthma and often have colds that include terrible coughs, I laugh in the face of offers of narcotic cough medicines. I've had broken bones, ovarian cysts, kidney stones and soldiered through it all, maybe not smiling but certainly in a better state of mind then most.

In high school I had a bone cyst, in order to fix it I had surgery twice where they opened up the site where the cyst was AND two sites on my hips for donor bone. I didn't cry in spite of the severe bone pain, I was annoyed more then anything and wanted to go home.

BUT when it comes to a fever, that reduces me to a thumb sucking(almost) pile of weeping "I want my MOther" mess. I generally refuse to eat and be reasonable. Its just more then I can stand. At this very moment I am in that state where I am hot and cold at the same time, I am worried that I am going to see what I am eating again very soon. Its so bad that my cat Salem has been in here checking up on me.

There have been times, when in this state, as a single MOther I have had to stagger forth and forage for food. I could see in the eyes of the people around me that I did indeed look as bad as I felt.

Luckily my daughter is over the flu and off to school so she won't see me like this until she gets home from school. Hopefully I will be able to suck it up by then.

Why you ask have I not called my Mother?? Well I am almost 42, my MOther is of an age (85) and health situation where she should not be worried and I just know if I call her I will start to blubber like a diaper bound baby.

SO to make it all better, I am here, to get my mind off it all.

What gets you to the point where you could be mistaken for a baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 AM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
I don't like to be around people when I am sick. I hide from everyone and take care of myself until the flu is gone. I don't like to be the blame if anyone got sick.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I don't like to be around people when I am sick. I hide from everyone and take care of myself until the flu is gone. I don't like to be the blame if anyone got sick.
OH, I know what you mean, I feel terribly guilty about that. I am sort of like an animal, I drag myself away to die alone. I know I'm a baby and I would hate for people I know to see me like that. I do have some pride.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I'm okay if people leave me alone. At my old job I was forced several times to go to work with the flu and deal with nonsense, lets just say I was not pleasant to be around.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
In one word I am "Grumpy".

I won't bother anyone but "please, please" don't bother me. I just like to be left alone when I'm sick.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
I just want to be left alone ... my mother always knew exactly what to do for me which included looking in on me but not being a pain about it. She passed away sometime ago and now when I am sick hubby has learned just check on me to make sure I am still breathing and just leave me alone.

It took awhile for him to get the message ... I was sick with the flu ... between bed and bathroom throwing up ... back in bed settled down to die ... dozed off ... opened my eyes to hubby standing there with a plate of pizza in my face ... 'look what I got you' ... as I jumped up gagging my way to the bathroom. Bless his heart I love him.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Carolina, I know exactly what you mean. There have been times that if I were a house pet, the Vet would have told my owner to put me down and take me out of my misery.

Thankfully for now my fever has broken and the blubbering has stopped. My daughter made me a sandwich when she came home from school and I am still freezing to death.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
The one thing that gets me is when I have a really bad headache. I've had headaches before that felt like I had some sort of alien implanted in my skull that was chewing on my brain. That pretty much reduces me to a sobbing incoherent mess.

Otherwise with strep, stomach flu, fever, etc I'll be ok if you just leave me alone and let me rest it off....assuming I've had proper medication if the illness will not go away naturally.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I guess I'm a good patient in that I don't bother anyone and do not want to be bothered. I know what my body needs so I tend to the needs myself. Thirsty--I go get something to drink. Time for meds-I go take em. Sleep,sleep,sleep.

I've had some sort of relapse from the crud. The sore throat was pretty much gone, but I can't get over this cough. Seems like the post nasal drip is having a war of the world with what is already in my bronchial tubes. It drips and I cough and sometimes crud comes up. Doesn't seem to be in my lungs but right now I'm having a "I surely must be dying" phase due to this being week 3. I'm just worn down from it. I never get sick,other than my migraines; so this is all new to me. Not liking it. It's gone on tooooooooo long now.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I'm good at babying myself until the bad aches and pains and shaking and baking hit. Then I want someone to bring me gallons of tea with honey and spicy hot soup.

Luckily my DH is a hero at doing this. I do the same for him.

And I need lots and lots of sleep and a cool hand soothing my hot forehead and telling me I'll feel better soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness