U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,862,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Speaking of asthma when you are having an asthma attack are your oxygen sats really low? My 15 yr old was diagnosed with asthma at 5 but does not wheeze only coughs and it is only brought on by an upper respiratory infection. He got sick in Jan the doctor said it was asthma yet he was sating 97%. He saw an allergist when he was 7 and we were told his lung function tests were normal, he was only mildly allergic to a few things but did not need allergy meds. He is now having a problem with alot of post nasal drip so we are seeing an allergist on Tuesday to get him checked. He now says that his inhalers make him cough worse instead of helping, hopefully this allergist will have some answers for us. I think he needs a nasal spray but his primary won't prescribe one.

It depends on the severity of any given attack normal O2 saturation at sea
level will run from 95-100% SPO2 this is done by pulse oximetry and are not always 100% accurate, depending on whether the machine is functioning properly, it needs to be maintained and calibrated , the most accurate way of measuring a percentage of O2 levels in the hemoglobin are by drawing blood from the artery (ABG) blood gas. where as an O2 sat should be obtained for initial clinical assessment only, ie: ER,doctor's office.
make the allergist aware that the inhalers are causing"bronchospasms"that is excessive coughing after using inhaler, this will happen immediately when he inhales the medicine.there should be some over the counter nasal sprays for post nasal drip
that he can use, ask the pharmacists what's best for your son since he is still
pediatric since the doctor won't prescribe, he probably has a valid reason though I would question his motives. also ask the allergist for mucinex or something with guafensin in it
to dry up the post nasal drip, have they done any sinus xrays on him? the
best way to help lessen the chances of getting these recurrent sinus infections are to keep the nasal passages every day (ask the allergist) or
an ENT doctor to advise you on the methods nest suited for your son.
some people are more susceptible to upper respiratory infections than others
also it would not be a bad idea to literally ask the allergist to check your son for Paradoxymal Vocal Cord Dysfunction (mimics asthma) and a highly misdiagnosed disorder, that can be treated if diagnosed properly. let us know what the allergist says about this.
I hope your son feels better soon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,660,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
This is for those who wondered the same thing.

When you have an asthma attack, doctors and other medical professionals encourage you to close your mouth and breathe through your nose. All fine and good.

People with asthma are discouraged from getting so winded or out of breath that they feel they need to draw in air with their mouths as well as their noses. The trick is to not get that over exerted and if that seems to be coming on, to slow down to a point that you can continue to breathe effectively through just your nose.

Now enter the nebulizer. Once upon a time, I was given the mouth piece or mask that covers mouth and nose and told to breathe through just my nose to inhale the medicated vapor. But nowadays, the mask is being shunned and the mouthpiece is touted as the way to take in as much of the medication as possible. The mouthpiece is something that goes into your mouth and you breathe through your mouth and only your mouth.

Is it just me, or is that a complete contradiction of what we have been told all our lives? But wait... there's more. Aside from using this mouth piece for the nebulizer, the old rules still apply - breathe only through your nose and don't get so winded that you can't effectively breathe with just your nose.

What gives?
During an asthma attack, I never feel like I get enough air when breathing through my nose. I always carry my inhaler with me. I couldn't imagine taking my inhaler through my nose. I also have a nebulizer with only the mouth piece. It seems to work for me.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,104,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
During an asthma attack, I never feel like I get enough air when breathing through my nose. I always carry my inhaler with me. I couldn't imagine taking my inhaler through my nose. I also have a nebulizer with only the mouth piece. It seems to work for me.
It is all about medicine deposition. Medicine through the nose verses through the mouth... think of all the medicine loss by deposition in your nose. It is just less surface area through your mouth. Unless you are taking a very long treatment, or will be talking (to family/doctor), or are anatomically 'different', treatments with mouth pieces are the prefered method...

Think about smoking,,,why don't people smoke through their noses? (theoretically speaking)

A good sat is anything greater then 90% ON ROOM AIR. If you are on a bunch of O2 and sating 91%...not good.

Pulse Ox's have a pleth signal to tell us just how well they are working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness