Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times

Advertisements

That was a family trip and was some time ago. I mentioned it in other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
And you're going to like being in a state where it has below zero winters?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:01 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
That was a LOT of family trips to expensive places, and your family can't help you get to Oil City? What am I missing here?

If I were your parents (or do you live with just your dad, since you never mention mom?), I would give you some money and basically kick you out. Not to be harsh, but it would be the best thing at this point.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
NAH, I remember that you said you'd vacationed over in Wyoming and enjoyed the trip. Is that the same time that you went to Nevada?

You just don't like the heat and humidity just like I don't like the cold.

But back to the topic of this thread~It's got to be close to 90 to make me perspire. But when we're in Florida, I can sweat when it's 82 degrees.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Quote:
Don't feel bad if you missed that post, after all, he is up to 2,880 posts.

NAH, I saw in one of your bazillion posts that you elliminated a town in upstate NY because they had a foot of snow, you do know that we get ALOT of snow here in Pa., don't you? A few Chiristmas's ago we got 3 feet in about 8 hours. I know you have nowhere to go, but if you do have a sidewalk in Oil City, you will be required to shovel it so that the rest of the world that does get out won't break a leg on your sidewalk. Since you plan on being 'self insured', better keep those sidewalks squeeky clean and free of any moisture or melting snow from other areas, lest they freeze over night.
When you figure out how to do that, let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep wearing my ice fishing cleats when walking the dog.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
Exactly, Oil City is very snowy...but he's gonna harp us about how "mild" this past winter is. The boy doesn't understand that one mild winter means absolutely nothing, and neither does "global warming" which he fiercely believes in and thinks Florida will be gone in 10 years.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
That room has got to be getting ripe...as much sweating that goes on there. Take a cold shower fer cryin out loud.

Here is the current weather and forecast for northern Alaska NAH...perhaps this will help you chill out! And note these temps do not include wind chill factor. It was 61 below in the wind yesterday. Fortunately I have a desk job!

AKZ203-260200-
CENTRAL BEAUFORT SEA COAST-
INCLUDING...NUIQSUT...PRUDHOE BAY...ALPINE...DEADHORSE...KUPARUK
355 AM ADT SUN MAR 25 2007
.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 25 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS TO 10 MPH.
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 30 TO 40 BELOW. LIGHT SOUTHWEST WINDS.
.MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 15 TO 20 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 20 TO 30 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW.
HIGHS 10 BELOW TO ZERO. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 20 MPH.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 15 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 15 BELOW.
.FRIDAY...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS NEAR 5 ABOVE.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS NEAR 15.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:59 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
And NAH...here is the current and forcast for around my house...900 miles due south of where I work. I get to go home Tuesday and shovel snow!

AKZ121-260000-
WESTERN KENAI PENINSULA-
INCLUDING...KENAI...SOLDOTNA...HOMER...COOPER LANDING
500 AM ADT SUN MAR 25 2007

...SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 9 PM ADT MONDAY...
.TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED SNOW SHOWERS THIS MORNING. HIGHS IN
THE 20S. LIGHT WINDS BECOMING SOUTH 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.TONIGHT...INCREASING CLOUDS WITH SNOW LIKELY CLAM GULCH AND SOUTH
AFTER MIDNIGHT WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES. CLOUDY WITH A
CHANCE OF SNOW ELSEWHERE. LOWS 5 TO 15 ABOVE EXCEPT
IN THE UPPER TEENS TO MID 20S SOUTH OF CLAM GULCH. EAST WIND
15 MPH SHIFTING TO THE NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.MONDAY...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS 4 TO 8 INCHES SOUTH OF CLAM GULCH
AND UP TO 3 INCHES ELSEWHERE. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. HIGHS IN THE
UPPER 20S TO MID 30S. EAST WIND 10 TO 25 MPH SHIFTING TO THE
NORTH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.MONDAY NIGHT...SNOW TAPERING OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS BY
MIDNIGHT. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW SOUTH OF CLAM GULCH. LOWS 5 TO 15
ABOVE. NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...EXCEPT TO 25 MPH SOUTH
OF CLAM GULCH.
.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.
NORTH WIND 15 TO 25 MPH.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 5 TO 15 ABOVE.
.WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S TO
MID 30S. LOWS IN THE TEENS.
.THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE 30S.
LOWS IN THE MID TEENS TO LOWER 20S.
.FRIDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S.
.FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER
TEENS TO MID 20S. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
ive been to Las Vegas and Israel when it was 100-105 in the shade and it was pretty darn hot. Not sticky but a dry heat not unlike an oven. Id say it was about as miserable as the humid 90-95 degree heat here in Florida.
Have you ever enjoyed the use of a sauna?
How about a hot tub?

I felt 103 F and 35% humidity in the shade, it was seductively nice; the breezes were like being ever-so-gently toasted, a warming sensation similar to getting a back rub.
(perhaps that's the same reason I enjoy 90-95 and muggy )

Except for the pavement and maybe some dark coloured cars, even in the sun this wasn't close to hot enough to burn me.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
And you're going to like being in a state where it has below zero winters?

Oil City gets just below zero every other winter on average with 1 to 3 days of -1 to -5 degrees. Its climate zone 6b/7a based on an average annual minimum. But the weather is great most of the time like now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
That was a LOT of family trips to expensive places, and your family can't help you get to Oil City? What am I missing here?

Mom and dad arent interested in OC, if they were, they are going and of course im coming along with them! But I just told dad fine, im saving money for OC and I already have saved a little, still a ways to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NAH, I remember that you said you'd vacationed over in Wyoming and enjoyed the trip. Is that the same time that you went to Nevada?

You just don't like the heat and humidity just like I don't like the cold.

But back to the topic of this thread~It's got to be close to 90 to make me perspire. But when we're in Florida, I can sweat when it's 82 degrees.

Wasnt the same time. The humidity we have makes people sweat at a lower temp. I probably wouldnt sweat at 82 if the air was dry, I was in the shade and relaxed, otherwise all bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Don't feel bad if you missed that post, after all, he is up to 2,880 posts.

NAH, I saw in one of your bazillion posts that you elliminated a town in upstate NY because they had a foot of snow, you do know that we get ALOT of snow here in Pa., don't you? A few Chiristmas's ago we got 3 feet in about 8 hours. I know you have nowhere to go, but if you do have a sidewalk in Oil City, you will be required to shovel it so that the rest of the world that does get out won't break a leg on your sidewalk. Since you plan on being 'self insured', better keep those sidewalks squeeky clean and free of any moisture or melting snow from other areas, lest they freeze over night.
When you figure out how to do that, let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep wearing my ice fishing cleats when walking the dog.

N.Y. Sees 110 Inches of Snow in 7 Days
Upstate New York Is Hit by More Snow; Total Accumulation Over 7 Days Measures 110 Inches.

The National Weather Service said Parish about 25 miles northeast of Syracuse reached a milestone early Saturday with 100 inches of snow during the past seven days. Late Saturday, the total had risen to 110 inches. Unofficial reports pegged totals at 123 inches in Orwell and 131 in Redfield, but those measurements include snow from another storm a couple of days before the current weather system. All three towns are in Oswego County.

A warning in effect until Monday morning said 2 to 4 more feet of snow was possible with wind gusting up to 24 mph.

LOL a foot? try ten!

Where in PA do you get so much? Oil City does get some snow, about a foot and a half in some places. I guess ill get a house without a sidewalk, dont feel like waking in the morning and going out to shovel, I like sleeping till noon As for insurance, perhaps ill just get liability, the house ill self insure unless the insurance gives a reasonable price for that cause the house is very cheap. You love PA so this tells me its a great state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That room has got to be getting ripe...as much sweating that goes on there. Take a cold shower fer cryin out loud.

Here is the current weather and forecast for northern Alaska NAH...perhaps this will help you chill out! And note these temps do not include wind chill factor. It was 61 below in the wind yesterday. Fortunately I have a desk job!

AKZ203-260200-
CENTRAL BEAUFORT SEA COAST-
INCLUDING...NUIQSUT...PRUDHOE BAY...ALPINE...DEADHORSE...KUPARUK
355 AM ADT SUN MAR 25 2007
.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 25 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS TO 10 MPH.
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 30 TO 40 BELOW. LIGHT SOUTHWEST WINDS.
.MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 15 TO 20 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 20 TO 30 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW.
HIGHS 10 BELOW TO ZERO. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 20 MPH.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 15 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 15 BELOW.
.FRIDAY...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS NEAR 5 ABOVE.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR 5 BELOW.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS NEAR 15.

Wow that is crazy! Isnt about where the arctic circle begins? Insanely cold in the spring, how much colder was it a couple months back? -45 with -80 windchills? You are still having lows of -20 and even your highs are in the low minuses and your getting 10-20mph winds on top of that! Ive been to Alaska before and the summers up there are like 50 degrees for a high! Toured Alaska with the rest of the ship and southernmost Alaska was quite mild, like 70-80 for a summer high, even the locals said that high was unusual, got to 85 oneday and everyone was sweating, the locals were melting from this heat wave, said its never been this hot before and blamed global warming!

Lets see Oil City's weather:

Tonight
Partly cloudy this evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Monday
Partly sunny with a chance of showers. A chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 60s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
Monday Night
A chance of thunderstorms in the evening. Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows around 50. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Tuesday
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 40s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 60. Chance of rain 30 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then a chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy. Highs around 60.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 40s.
Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 50s.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 30s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 50s.
Saturday Night and Sunday
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. Highs in the upper 40s.

West Palm Beach has highs forecasted of around 80 with lows of high 60s. Dont like this heat, wish I was in Oil City about now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Have you ever enjoyed the use of a sauna?
How about a hot tub?

I felt 103 F and 35% humidity in the shade, it was seductively nice; the breezes were like being ever-so-gently toasted, a warming sensation similar to getting a back rub.
(perhaps that's the same reason I enjoy 90-95 and muggy )

Except for the pavement and maybe some dark coloured cars, even in the sun this wasn't close to hot enough to burn me.

You belong in Florida or Texas. Your tolerance to heat is amazing. That temperature feels like im being cooked! Its gonna get to 95 in south FL in a couple months and im scared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness