Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

A University of Minnesota study on rats showed that a diet high in sugar caused their livers to enlarge and turn yellowish (cirrhosis).

While the study was on rats it's something to think about.....

The Effects of High Sugar Diets on the Growth and Structure of the Rat -- Jackson 3 (1): 61 -- Journal of Nutrition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
The bottom line is we know sugar is bad. Its not even an issue that can be debated. Americans consume most of their calories from sugar....there is all the proof you need..lol

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
However i notice that the conclusion from the cited article begins:

"From the foregoing observations it may be concluded that the high
sugar diets have no detrimental effect upon the growth and general health
of rats. The various organs likewise show no abnormalities, aside from
some few changes in relative weight..."

Of course just because there are no detrimental effects in rats does not mean we can necessarily draw the same conclusion in relation to humans.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
The bottom line is we know sugar is bad. Its not even an issue that can be debated. Americans consume most of their calories from sugar....there is all the proof you need..lol
You'd be surprised about how many people will argue with you over it. Or rather, most people will tell you that sugar is bad, but deny how it could have an effect on any specific health problem, except maybe diabetes and I've even seen that debated. Or they will say something, like "anything in moderation," and most have no idea what moderation with sugary foods even means. Pop-tarts for breakfast, a soda with lunch, and a bowl of ice cream before bed is not moderation, but most would probably say it is.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
A University of Minnesota study on rats showed that a diet high in sugar caused their livers to enlarge and turn yellowish (cirrhosis).

While the study was on rats it's something to think about.....

The Effects of High Sugar Diets on the Growth and Structure of the Rat -- Jackson 3 (1): 61 -- Journal of Nutrition
Um, the article is from 1929 and the original post is from 2009.

What it found was fat in the liver, not cirrhosis.

The rats with fatty livers were fed diets that were 80% sugar.

I think we can assume the study has little relevance to human beings. I hope none of us are eating diets that are 80% sugar --- or even 80% total carbs.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Um, the article is from 1929 and the original post is from 2009.

What it found was fat in the liver, not cirrhosis.

The rats with fatty livers were fed diets that were 80% sugar.

I think we can assume the study has little relevance to human beings. I hope none of us are eating diets that are 80% sugar --- or even 80% total carbs.
Um, you're way behind the times Suzy --you oughta see the food the kids eat at school and I'm guessing it's not much better at home.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I admit that i'm really dumbfounded by my past action here as obviously i posted this link and yet i have no idea where i found this 1929 article at or why i would post something from that year? I've always posted links on here that are current from sites like Science Daily and Muscle & Fitness magazine as a few regular examples.

Maybe i was high from too much oxygen and endorphins from playing high intensity full court basketball against those 20 somethings that day?

Anyway as the OP i'd say just disregard this thread .

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Um, you're way behind the times Suzy --you oughta see the food the kids eat at school and I'm guessing it's not much better at home.
But 80% sugar does not leave room for a Big Mac!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I admit that i'm really dumbfounded by my past action here as obviously i posted this link and yet i have no idea where i found this 1929 article at or why i would post something from that year? I've always posted links on here that are current from sites like Science Daily and Muscle & Fitness magazine as a few regular examples.

Maybe i was high from too much oxygen and endorphins from playing high intensity full court basketball against those 20 somethings that day?

Anyway as the OP i'd say just disregard this thread .
It was still interesting --- including the fact that the rats appeared healthy except for the fatty livers!

Does anyone know why they were interested in the lengths of the rats' tails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness