Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,692,350 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a flu in about 20 yrs (Knock on wood) but the flu is very unpredictable. Sometimes it starts in October and goes right through the spring. Just let nature run its course and get aquainted with all the wonderful TV programming on in the wee hours...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,364,683 times
Hope every one feels better, we all have or had it at my house. O fcourse Mommy still has it or is getting it back cause I was up all hours taking care of the 2 sons and DH. I ended up with my ears geting infected. I am just glad the kiddos or the DH did not get that part.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
I went through this Thursday. It started Wednesday. Severe congestion. Got off work Thursday morning I was really coughing. Went to bed and when I woke up late afternoon I had a low grade fever. Called in sick. Spent the evening sucking down chicken noodle soup (low sodium Progresso taste better than low sodium Campbells), taking long hot showers, and using the netti pot to help flush the sinuses. Mucinex also helped. Several things helped with the sore throat but all are temporary. Syrup, honey, plain cheese sandwich on white bread, and Cepacol spray all provided temporary relief. Another thing that helped was hot herbal tea. It helped to thin the mucus in the throat.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
My co-worker just told me he "toughed it out" and went to work while having the fever. He also said he suffered horribly for more than a week. Told him he'd be better off taking a day off to rest and heal faster. I'd say it's his age but another co-worker even older than him called in sick with the fever. I'm sorry, but if I have the cold/flu with a fever I'm not going to work. I work at a hospital.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,852,261 times
Default March Flu Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
It seems that there are a bunch of people sick with the flu, starting in early March.
I currently have it and it's one of the weirdest colds/flus I've ever had.
My symptoms:
started out with chest soreness, felt like I had bronchitis
then I had muscle aches and a fever
Then I started coughing up phlegm
now the muscle aches and fever are gone, but I'm still coughing up phlegm
and the last symptom that just started is a runny nose and sneezing--
never had a sore throat through the whole thing
this seems like kind of a backwards flu/cold, since it ended with the runny nose and sneezing. My chest still hurts from all the coughing and I'm still coughing up phlegm. Anyone else having similar symptoms? This is a rough one. Does it sound like bronchitis?
Here it is April and this flu bug is still going around. My niece, who is pregnant, has it now and she is very sick. Her regular doctor gave her some cough medicine with CODINE and because of her pregnancy she won't take it until she consults her OB/GYN doctor. I was kind of shocked that the reg. doc gave her this. She has all the exact same symptoms you described and my husband had this same thing about 2 weeks ago. It hangs on for a while so be ready...good description, "backwards cold"...UGH

Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,438,268 times
It sounds exactly like what I had from Christmas Eve til Valentines Day. I finally went to the doc in early Feb and got an antibiotic and got rid of it. It was one of the worst bugs I have ever had. The cough was endless and exhausting. So sorry to hear its still around. It seems to last for weeks and weeks. GET WELL SOON!!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,652,552 times
I got it too; I never take off work for a cold but this last thing put me off my feet for a week drinking nothing but boullion and tea. Two weeks later I still had the cough. My boss has had it now for 6 weeks; most folks can't shake the cough even after the other symptoms are gone. Several kids around here had to be put in the hospital for various stages and types of pneumonia. It seriously affected some folk with diabetes; their blood sugar shot 'way up and stayed there.

To top it all off, the 'flu shot' didn't seem to help much - many of us who got the shot in October got this bug anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness