Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

269 posts, read 784,301 times

Advertisements

I decided to try a little experiment with extra virgin olive oil, and sure enough, it worked!

I saw my mom pour olive oil into her pet dog food dish mixed in with the dog food. I asked her why she did this, and she said it helped make the dog's coat shinier. I thought if it makes that much difference in a dog...why not try some in my food?

A couple times a week, I cooked pasta and used extra virgin olive oil for sauce rather than marinara sauce. Sometimes I'll put in half marinara sauce, and half olive oil. After a couple of weeks, I noticed in the mirror my skin looked healthier...kinda like my face was glowing.

Hard to link it directly to the olive oil, but I'm going to keep eating the stuff for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,077,551 times
Dip bread in it rather than using butter, very good and good for you. The olive oil that is, NOT the bread !

Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,638,384 times
When using olive oil as a pasta dressing, try sauteing a little fresh chopped garlic in the oil before adding it to the pasta. Very tasty - works well with angelhair pasta in particular.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
I decided to try a little experiment with extra virgin olive oil, and sure enough, it worked!

I saw my mom pour olive oil into her pet dog food dish mixed in with the dog food. I asked her why she did this, and she said it helped make the dog's coat shinier. I thought if it makes that much difference in a dog...why not try some in my food?

A couple times a week, I cooked pasta and used extra virgin olive oil for sauce rather than marinara sauce. Sometimes I'll put in half marinara sauce, and half olive oil. After a couple of weeks, I noticed in the mirror my skin looked healthier...kinda like my face was glowing.

Hard to link it directly to the olive oil, but I'm going to keep eating the stuff for now
Thanks for sharing your experience using olive oil .

6/3

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

633 posts, read 1,951,301 times
Default A Better Olive Experiment

Although olive oil has many benefits I think the number of benefits from olive leaf extract far exceeds olive oil.

One of the stated olive leaf benefits is the anti parasitic qualities. With statements like curing worms, malaria and dengue fever for just a few, OLE may prove to be very effective against lyme disease and associated co infections. One being bebesiosis which is very similar to malaria.

You may want to add to you health oil routine Carlson lemon flavored cod liver oil. There is absolutely no fish flavor, so if you are from the generation who remembered their parents giving it to them let go of the nightmare.

I feel it's never just one thing and variety of items in our approach to better health is well rewarded.

Mike

Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
oddly enough the first time I saw some one put olive oil in food I said "Yuck!"( I was about 15) my family always kept olive oil in the cabinet with hair dressings

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,653,722 times
Olive oil is no secret for beautiful skin and hair. In fact, the best soaps made in France are olive oil based.

I'm glad you discovered how beneficial and healthy olive oil can be.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,077,551 times
Default About frying in olive oil ?

I like to fry in olive oil and was wondering if it is true that when heated to frying temps it converts to a form that is not as healthy as it is when used cold such as on salads or a bread dip. The reason I ask is that I finally went to a doctor and just got a call that My cholesterol was 404, I also have very high blood pressure. He called me a "ticking time bomb", and that scared the heebee jeebees out of me. I have to give up all of my favorite foods.
I guess I'll have to get used to broccoli tacos !

Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 AM

72,425 posts, read 18,208,733 times
I have been adding a little olive oil on my toast in the mornings for a few weeks,I think my hair does look shinnier,didn't think it was the cause.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,638,384 times
Quote:
I like to fry in olive oil and was wondering if it is true that when heated to frying temps it converts to a form that is not as healthy as it is when used cold such as on salads or a bread dip.
Extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point and it is best to heat gently or enjoy it at room temperature. However, olive oil (not the extra virgin type, but from later pressings) has a higher smoke point and you can use it for most frying with no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness