Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM

172 posts, read 1,063,045 times

Advertisements

I have had issues with urine leakage on/off for several years now. It's a small amount that comes out probably 2-3 times daily, usually when I am standing up and moving around. It's pesky and annoying more than anything--and it obviously makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I've never had kids, so that has made doctors raise an eyebrow when they hear of my problem.

I have sought treatment from 2 different urologists--kept a urine diary several times and had a urodynamic evaluation (small tubes inserted into urethra) last year. The doc seemed pretty perplexed, as it didn't appear that I was having overflow or stress incontinence (from coughing, sneezing, etc.). They ruled out any sort of neurological disorders as well. The doc suggested I undergo pelvic floor rehabilitation, so I did that for 4 weeks. I was supposed to continue doing "kegel" exercises on my own after I completed the rehab treatment. I stopped doing them, but it didn't seem like it was helping anyhow.

Is there anyone out there like me?
Anyone have any advice?
Know any miracle-working urologists?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

110 posts, read 375,449 times
I know you said you never had children but there may be something on the subject of fistulas that may be helpful to you. Google "fistulas". I hope you find answers.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
are you overweight? I have a friend that when her weight gets over a certain point, she leaks. She is far from what you would think of as "fat", but when she loses as little of five pounds, it stops. This has been going on for years.

It's something that you might think about. Maybe even a little loss would help you.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
are you overweight? I have a friend that when her weight gets over a certain point, she leaks. She is far from what you would think of as "fat", but when she loses as little of five pounds, it stops. This has been going on for years.

It's something that you might think about. Maybe even a little loss would help you.
No, I'm not overweight. I'm 5'8 and about 140 lbs. I exercise regularly and drink plenty of water.

I have had several urinary tract infections in the past--I don't know if there is a link there?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
One word: Kegels!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
One word: Kegels!
I said in my earlier post that I did those during pelvic floor rehab, but they didn't seem to help much.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM

150 posts, read 857,672 times
My first question and probably one your md's have addressed: are you on any medications? Certain meds, some antidepressants and others, affect your bladder. And 2nd, has your doc considered the possibility of an artificial sphinter if no neurologic or pelvic weakness was found?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 PM

161 posts, read 341,700 times
One more thing you might try to consider...are you holding too long? I know in this busy world, I was. When I finally started paying attention to nature's call....and went when I first felt like it...it helped a lot.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneydeb View Post
My first question and probably one your md's have addressed: are you on any medications? Certain meds, some antidepressants and others, affect your bladder. And 2nd, has your doc considered the possibility of an artificial sphinter if no neurologic or pelvic weakness was found?
Nope, I'm not on any meds for anything. An artificial sphincter sounds like a pretty serious thing. Sounds too invasive for me.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
One more thing you might try to consider...are you holding too long? I know in this busy world, I was. When I finally started paying attention to nature's call....and went when I first felt like it...it helped a lot.
I do hold it sometimes. Back in 2003 or so, I was struggling with frequency (but I didn't have an infection or anything). When I saw a urologist about that he claimed I was answering "the call" too often and my bladder was weak. He told me to hold it sometimes to strengthen my bladder. Anyone ever heard that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness