U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,107,803 times

Advertisements

My daughter has recently announced, the way a twelve year old girl will, that from this day onward she will be a vegetarian. For her it's an ethical decision, but for me it's one that raises a nutritional question.

For those of you who might know, can you help me decide whether to sneak some ground filet mignon or lean chicken breast into her soy burgers? Short of that can you tell me what vitamins, minerals she will be lacking as a result of this decision? She's obviously still growing so that's a concern of mine...

Thanks in advance

A clueless and increasingly powerless dad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:48 PM

242 posts, read 1,142,906 times
Default Vegetarubism

I have been a Veggie/Fruity ism, for 54 years. My mom did not like the American ways of eating and I became a veggie/fruityism since i was 6 Years young. If you know anything about foods, foods supply a variety of vitamins and minerals. But we lack the most is Vitamin B12, tell her to take the active form which is the Methyl type, Life Extension sells it or Jarrow. And God made the foods that would have protein in small tiny tiny portions of FRUITS and Veggies. &&&&&& TELL her to stay away from SOY PRODUCTS. Soy Products have been promoted as a hoax, because it is a cheap ( it is not even considered a " food". Some toxic bean. Soy s so cheap and soy is the leading causes of THYROID DAMAGES for people and pets. Soy is put into Cats dry and wet foods. Cats are always coming down with THYROID PROBLEMS. IT is terrible. SOY does produce depression. DO RESEARCH HOW BAD IS SOY. Your daughter can live without meats. Beans are much better than SOYBEANS. SOYBEAN OIL is considered the next toxic oil to CANOLA OIL. SAY AWAY FROM SOYBEAN OIL and CANOLA OIL= produces LUNG CANCER and HEART DISEASE and BLINDNESS= CANOLA OIL. I read a lot so I know what I am talking about.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:54 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,456,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
My daughter has recently announced, the way a twelve year old girl will, that from this day onward she will be a vegetarian. For her it's an ethical decision, but for me it's one that raises a nutritional question.

For those of you who might know, can you help me decide whether to sneak some ground filet mignon or lean chicken breast into her soy burgers? Short of that can you tell me what vitamins, minerals she will be lacking as a result of this decision? She's obviously still growing so that's a concern of mine...

Thanks in advance

A clueless and increasingly powerless dad
I became a vegetarian when I was 12 as well. I am now 28 and am healthy inside and out. My parents were very supportive and encouraged me to read cookbooks, help in the kitchen etc.

Never ever would they have "snuck" animal products into my food.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
I have been a Veggie/Fruity ism, for 54 years. My mom did not like the American ways of eating and I became a veggie/fruityism since i was 6 Years young. If you know anything about foods, foods supply a variety of vitamins and minerals. But we lack the most is Vitamin B12, tell her to take the active form which is the Methyl type, Life Extension sells it or Jarrow. And God made the foods that would have protein in small tiny tiny portions of FRUITS and Veggies. &&&&&& TELL her to stay away from SOY PRODUCTS. Soy Products have been promoted as a hoax, because it is a cheap ( it is not even considered a " food". Some toxic bean. Soy s so cheap and soy is the leading causes of THYROID DAMAGES for people and pets. Soy is put into Cats dry and wet foods. Cats are always coming down with THYROID PROBLEMS. IT is terrible. SOY does produce depression. DO RESEARCH HOW BAD IS SOY. Your daughter can live without meats. Beans are much better than SOYBEANS. SOYBEAN OIL is considered the next toxic oil to CANOLA OIL. SAY AWAY FROM SOYBEAN OIL and CANOLA OIL= produces LUNG CANCER and HEART DISEASE and BLINDNESS= CANOLA OIL. I read a lot so I know what I am talking about.
Wow, thank you for that. Never heard all those things about soy. B12, ok. What about eggs? I know they're high in cholesterol, but I know they're high in protein too...

By the way, do you mind my asking how tall you've grown to be? I may be way off with this concern, but I'm just ignorant about this stuff. You are right, I need to do some research. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I became a vegetarian when I was 12 as well. I am now 28 and am healthy inside and out. My parents were very supportive and encouraged me to read cookbooks, help in the kitchen etc.

Never ever would they have "snuck" animal products into my food.

How do you know? Just joking of course, I never would either, I'd get caught. No, I do respect her choice, want her to make her own choices, the sooner she gets used to that the better. Just want to make sure it's healthy for a growing kid. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM

149 posts, read 730,400 times
I have been a vegetarian on and off during my life since I was 12; some years I went strict vegetarian, other times ovo-lacto or pescetarian. I would not ever recommend a person go on a vegetarian diet unless adequate care is taken to ensure they are getting all the vitamins and minerals and essential fats they need...I did not know enough about nutrition when I was vegetarian and I suffered greatly as a result. For young girls and women especially, anemia is quite common (even in those who aren't vegetarian) and only animal products supply heme iron (the more bioavailable source). Beans and lentils are a great source for non-heme iron and are essential, and along with grains and nuts they should be soaked to remove typsin inhibitors and phytonutrients. I also agree with the Kapalua that soy products are NOT healthy unless they are in the form of traditional asian foods such as miso, natto, soy sauce, tempeh. I've read that it's possible that high amounts of soy in the diet can influence hormones because oestrogen mimicks estrogen in the body.

I think a vegetarianism can be healthy as long as lots of dairy and eggs are included in the diet. What's dangerous in my opinion is veganism, which is taking it to the next level. Since a 12 year old is at that age where she is influenced by peers and self-image, be aware that some girls use vegetarianism as a cover for an eating disorder, so that they have an excuse not to eat as much or in public. I'm not saying that she is or will be but it's not uncommmon.

I think you have good reason to be concerned about your daughters health, and while I don't think you should necessarily discourage her from trying a veggie diet, it would be good to read as much about nutrition and both sides of the vegetarian argument as you possibly can in order to make the best decisions for your family.

P.S. If you're interested in why I eventually gave up vegetarianism, it was thanks to these two websites.
Beyond Vegetarianism--Raw Food, Vegan, Fruitarian, Paleo Diets
WAPF Site Map

Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I have been a vegetarian on and off during my life since I was 12; some years I went strict vegetarian, other times ovo-lacto or pescetarian. I would not ever recommend a person go on a vegetarian diet unless adequate care is taken to ensure they are getting all the vitamins and minerals and essential fats they need...I did not know enough about nutrition when I was vegetarian and I suffered greatly as a result. For young girls and women especially, anemia is quite common (even in those who aren't vegetarian) and only animal products supply heme iron (the more bioavailable source). Beans and lentils are a great source for non-heme iron and are essential, and along with grains and nuts they should be soaked to remove typsin inhibitors and phytonutrients. I also agree with the Kapalua that soy products are NOT healthy unless they are in the form of traditional asian foods such as miso, natto, soy sauce, tempeh. I've read that it's possible that high amounts of soy in the diet can influence hormones because oestrogen mimicks estrogen in the body.

I think a vegetarianism can be healthy as long as lots of dairy and eggs are included in the diet. What's dangerous in my opinion is veganism, which is taking it to the next level. Since a 12 year old is at that age where she is influenced by peers and self-image, be aware that some girls use vegetarianism as a cover for an eating disorder, so that they have an excuse not to eat as much or in public. I'm not saying that she is or will be but it's not uncommmon.

I think you have good reason to be concerned about your daughters health, and while I don't think you should necessarily discourage her from trying a veggie diet, it would be good to read as much about nutrition and both sides of the vegetarian argument as you possibly can in order to make the best decisions for your family.

P.S. If you're interested in why I eventually gave up vegetarianism, it was thanks to these two websites.
Beyond Vegetarianism--Raw Food, Vegan, Fruitarian, Paleo Diets
WAPF Site Map
Thank you so much for this very thoughtful post. I will take your advice and read up. By the way, my daughter is one of those people who doesn't gain weight no matter what she eats and her appetite is strong. If anything she is too thin, and I'm expecting her to be even thinner on a vegetarian diet, am I right?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,456,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Thank you so much for this very thoughtful post. I will take your advice and read up. By the way, my daughter is one of those people who doesn't gain weight no matter what she eats and her appetite is strong. If anything she is too thin, and I'm expecting her to be even thinner on a vegetarian diet, am I right?
It depends what she eats. The post you are referring to only shows a slim view of vegetarianism and weight and body issues.

I have known vegetarians who eat french fries, sodas, chips, white flour products piled with various condiments etc. and who commonly will eat empty calorie/high fat meals. Being a vegetarian does not give one carte blanch to eat poor quality foods.

Of course I also know and am the type of vegetarian who generally eats very high quality, fresh foods.

I suggest you visit the vegan/vegetarian forum under the "food and drink" section. There you can read about recipes, what most vegetarians and/or vegans eat daily etc.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,976,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
It depends what she eats. The post you are referring to only shows a slim view of vegetarianism and weight and body issues.

I have known vegetarians who eat french fries, sodas, chips, white flour products piled with various condiments etc. and who commonly will eat empty calorie/high fat meals. Being a vegetarian does not give one carte blanch to eat poor quality foods.

Of course I also know and am the type of vegetarian who generally eats very high quality, fresh foods.

I suggest you visit the vegan/vegetarian forum under the "food and drink" section. There you can read about recipes, what most vegetarians and/or vegans eat daily etc.
Hey, who's calling cupcakes poor quality food? EXPit, I'd take cr1039"s advice. Everything you're concerned about has been addressed in the veg forum, including nutirional analysis. You'll find 'directions' to numerous scientific studies, if you're so inclined.

A friend of mine has identical twin girls. One of them, at age 12 or so, decided/announced she was a vegetarian. To this day, several yrs later, she is still a vegetarian. She knows more about nutrition than a lot of people. Her dad was very proud of her for making her own, well-thought out decision

No worries for you or your child.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks to all for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness