Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times

Advertisements

They are skin tabs, I have them there as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,552 times
Default Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
Attachment 38506

ok here is the best pic I could get
I have the same thing going on and I am still trying to find out what they are. Have you gotten any more info yet?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
What another poster said, they could be cholesterol deposits and not just skin tabs. It could indicate a far more serious underlying health care issue. Definitely need to see a doctor.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,080 times
Reading this thread is driving me crazy!!! She says on page 3 that she was diagnosed with Xanthomas. Read each page there's only 6 and your questions will be answered.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Reading this thread is driving me crazy!!! She says on page 3 that she was diagnosed with Xanthomas. Read each page there's only 6 and your questions will be answered.

I have these but I was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis almost 2 years ago and I don't have cirrhosis exactly, it is an auto immune liver disease and my body is attacking and destroying the bile ducts of my liver, no known cause, no known cure.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
I made the same observation 3 years ago on this same thread and still people are "guessing" about what the spots were when it was clearly stated early on that they were xanthomas...

Also what the heck is a skin "tab"? It's "skin tag" and the original pic clearly wasn't one

Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Since this thread has become circular and the answer has been given several times, it is now closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,558 times
Default White spots on eye lids.

The most common location for a xanthoma is around the inner or outer areas of the eyelids, where they tend to occur in clusters; this particular type of xanthoma is called a "xanthelasma." Xanthomas are also often seen around joints (especially on the elbows or knees), in the creases of the palms and fingers, on the feet and on the buttocks. Tendinous xanthomas are usually located within tendons that travel along the backs of the hands and arms, the tops of the feet or within the Achilles tendon on the heel. Xanthomas may be tiny little bumps, but they also can grow to be as big as three inches in diameter.
Xanthomas occur when you have very high levels of fats (lipids) in your bloodstream, especially [URL="http://cholesterol.about.com/cs/cholesteroltypes/g/LDL.htm"] low-density lipoprotein cholesterol[/URL] (LDL-C). LDL levels are often elevated in people who eat a high-fat, low-fiber diet; are overweight; and do not get sufficient exercise. Other factors that may increase LDL-C include:
[LIST][*]Diabetes[*]Inherited [URL="http://cholesterol.about.com/od/hyperlipidemia/g/familialhyperch.htm"] familial hypercholesterolemia[/URL] (a genetic condition which causes high cholesterol beginning in childhood)[*]Low thyroid levels (hypothyroidism)[*]Kidney problems[*]Liver problems[*]Pregnancy[*]Medications, including some antiseizure drugs, diuretics, steroids, cyclosporine and retinoid drugs[/LIST] Your doctor may diagnose a xanthoma simply by noticing its characteristic appearance. If there is any question, a sample of the growth (biopsy) can be sent to a laboratory for closer examination. If it is a xanthoma, the results of the biopsy will show that the growth is composed of lipids (fats).
Xanthomas can be removed in several different ways. They can be destroyed with acetic acid, via electrical current (electrodessication), by laser treatment or by cutting them out surgically. They may, however, eventually grow back, and it is also possible that additional xanthomas will crop up in other locations. Cosmetic concerns may convince you to have a xanthoma removed, but even more important than its removal, is your attention to the high blood cholesterol that caused it in the first place. Your doctor will want to do a complete lipid panel to track your blood cholesterol and [URL="http://cholesterol.about.com/cs/aboutcholesterol/g/Triglyceride.htm"] triglyceride[/URL] levels.
A lipid panel or profile is a set of blood tests that measures blood levels of triglycerides as well as the major forms of cholesterol (total cholesterol, high density lipoprotein cholesterol or [URL="http://cholesterol.about.com/cs/cholesteroltypes/g/HDL.htm"] HDL[/URL] and low density lipoprotein cholesterol or LDL). You will usually be asked to fast (consume nothing but water) for 12 to 14 hours before you have your blood drawn for a lipid panel. Generally speaking, you should aim for a total cholesterol of more than 200 mg/dL, for LDL cholesterol less than 129 mg/dL, for HDL cholesterol more than 40 mg/dL for men or 50 mg/dL for women and for triglycerides less than 150 mg/dL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness