Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here I am up since 1:15 am because I am stuffy nosed and my right ear is pulsating, making me insane. As you can see, I have been posting and reading posts like a wild woman, trying to stay busy until I maybe can call the doctor or at least feel better. UGH.

Has anyone else out there ever experienced pulsating noises in the ears? It kind of has me spooked as I had open heart surgery last year and have never, ever been able to hear a pulse in my ear before. HELP...like Chinese water torture...drip, drip, drip...only this is swoosh, swoosh, swoosh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I have had this since a bad cold around the holiday season. I'm assuming that the "swoosh, swoosh" is a symptom of my high blood pressure accentuated by the congestion in my upper sinuses and ear. I can tell you that it has minimized in the past couple of weeks with the diminishing nasal congestion. I'm hoping it will disappear altogether.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
When I am badly sick I get a lot of fluid in my ears so much that my hearing is affected. As the congestion eases and the fluid drains I have felt the same thing you are feeling. You should probably go to the doctor since you could have an infection. Fluid in the ears that is not draining is an infection waiting to happen. You should be taking a decongestant.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,013 times
its just your pulse.......take a decongeatant..............

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
I get a weird noise in my ear, too. I haven't been for my checkup yet (yeah, I know) but I think I probably have brain cancer from too much cell phone use.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
I would say get some mucinex and see if it clears it up in a few days if not there probably is a infection lurking and will need a antibiotic.
Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
while some use decongestants, I find they bother my system and induce anxiety so I use Benadryl. Also using Ocean nose drops or any type saline nose drops help the problem with the ears. Plus they can be used as often as needed as opposed to the OTC drops that can be addicting and cause other issues if used long term.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Ears pulsating, congested

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
When I am badly sick I get a lot of fluid in my ears so much that my hearing is affected. As the congestion eases and the fluid drains I have felt the same thing you are feeling. You should probably go to the doctor since you could have an infection. Fluid in the ears that is not draining is an infection waiting to happen. You should be taking a decongestant.
Thanks for your input...noise is diminishing and I am sleeping much better..I think it was allergies. I can't take a lot of meds for congestion because of blood pressure and heart medication...so perseverance and antibiotics are about it. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 AM

1 posts, read 104,120 times
I woke up to the woosh woosh woosh sound tonight and earlier tonight i had a horrible ear ache *peroxide and ear drops finally helped* , ive been sick with sinus/allergy for almost 2 weeks. This is annoying! Took nyquil. anyone know why it may be doing this that i know of i havent had ear infections often i dont take any medicine *occasionally for CTS *carpal tunnel syndrome*

Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Ok, so here I am up since 1:15 am because I am stuffy nosed and my right ear is pulsating, making me insane. As you can see, I have been posting and reading posts like a wild woman, trying to stay busy until I maybe can call the doctor or at least feel better. UGH.

Has anyone else out there ever experienced pulsating noises in the ears? It kind of has me spooked as I had open heart surgery last year and have never, ever been able to hear a pulse in my ear before. HELP...like Chinese water torture...drip, drip, drip...only this is swoosh, swoosh, swoosh!
I went through a phase of having that noise in my late teens, collectively called tinnitus, but the cause of mine was my wisdom teeth. As soon as I got them pulled and the area healed, it went away (I had other issues with the wisdom teeth too such as headaches and that's where my TMJ started also).

Now I still get the noise in my ears when I drink too much caffeine, alcohol or when I have some kind of illness that affects my head like colds, flus, allergies and sinus trouble.

Was this the first time you ever noticed this noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness