U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,967,977 times

Advertisements

Hi Brokencrayola,
Although my hyst. was done with the whole works being cut open when I was 28, my mother-in-law just had one done vaginally last fall. She is 65 and had it done not because of cancer or anything life threatening, but like you, she just had some very annoying problems that it would fix! She was in the hospital overnight. When she went home she said she was "sore", but not in a lot of pain. She "putzed" around the house for a few days, but within a week she was pretty much doing things as usual. Being she still works and her work is on her feet all day & somewhat physical the doctor told her to take off for 6 weeks. Although she felt a lot better she opted to take some more time off as it was just before the Christmas season and being she works in retail it was very, very busy. She went back to work feeling great. Everything turned out just as planned for her. The doctor was able to get "everything" out vaginally. So I guess this is one of the success stories for this type of surgery. I wish the best for you in whatever you decide to do! In any case, I just hope you are feeling better soon!
Georgia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,453,734 times
Thank you Georgia, that was interesting. I am all for not going through the pain of being cut open. I have had a C-section, 2 hernia surgeries, a bursted tubal pregnancy, and gallbladder removed and it hurts like heck.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM

16,489 posts, read 23,453,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
also Brokencrayola, this is what my doctor explained to me:Even with the ovaries not removed, the blood supply to the ovaries lessens after the surgery and the ovaries usually cease functioning within 1-3 years.
Hence-all the more reason to have them removed.
I figure, why leave my ovaries at age 55 when I should already be in menopause. Why risk leaving them in and possibly having ovarian cancer with all the cancer that runs in both sides of my family.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,524,323 times
exactly bc! Update us as to what you decide and when you're going to have your surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I figure, why leave my ovaries at age 55 when I should already be in menopause. Why risk leaving them in and possibly having ovarian cancer with all the cancer that runs in both sides of my family.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,967,977 times
Quote:
Thank you Georgia, that was interesting. I am all for not going through the pain of being cut open. I have had a C-section, 2 hernia surgeries, a bursted tubal pregnancy, and gallbladder removed and it hurts like heck.
I can relate! I had 2 C-Sections, a hysterectomy, and a hernia surgery, all cut almost from hip to hip! I know, it's NO FUN!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,383,427 times
Quote:
also Brokencrayola, this is what my doctor explained to me:Even with the ovaries not removed, the blood supply to the ovaries lessens after the surgery and the ovaries usually cease functioning within 1-3 years.
Hence-all the more reason to have them removed.

Not true - I continued to ovulate until I was 50 - for 13 years after I had a hysterectomy. Research shows that ovaries do produce hormones after hysterectomy. There are important reasons to keep your ovaries - do some research people:

For many years it has been a practice for women after age of 45 to remove their ovaries along with uterus removal in order to prevent ovarian cancer. Statistics say that about half of women have their ovaries removed during hysterectomy. In the USA, around 600 000 hysterectomies are being performed per year, most of them for benign diseases like uterine fibroids or endometriosis.
New researches suggest that keeping the ovaries would be the smartest thing to do for long - term survival. However, it is shown that preserving the ovaries reduces the risk of heart disease and hip fractures as they keep small amounts of estrogen years after menopause. The two ovarian hormones testosterone and androstenedione were found in some women in the age of 80. The thing is that muscle and fat cells turn testosterone into circulating estrogen in that way protecting against heart disease and osteoporosis.
This study is not definite but it does have an important influence on clinical practice. It is certain that both women and their doctors should think twice in the future and be aware of the benefits of leaving the ovaries as they produce hormones that keep bones strong and heart disease at bay.

Keeping Ovaries After Hysterectomy Boosts Survival

Keeping your ovaries during hysterectomy | Battling For Health

Hysterectomy - A Gynecologist's Second Opinion

Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 AM

6,262 posts, read 18,524,323 times
no-it is true. OK? I know--trust me on this one.
Stop arguing the point.
If you believe one way and I another-so be it.
I know from first hand experience about ovaries malfunctioning once the uterus is out. If you don't know that-then give up the argument. Sheeeeeesh! You are now arguing with yourself. Brokencrayola is NOT keeping her ovaries.
Dang..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Not true - I continued to ovulate until I was 50 - for 13 years after I had a hysterectomy. Research shows that ovaries do produce hormones after hysterectomy. There are important reasons to keep your ovaries - do some research people:

For many years it has been a practice for women after age of 45 to remove their ovaries along with uterus removal in order to prevent ovarian cancer. Statistics say that about half of women have their ovaries removed during hysterectomy. In the USA, around 600 000 hysterectomies are being performed per year, most of them for benign diseases like uterine fibroids or endometriosis.
New researches suggest that keeping the ovaries would be the smartest thing to do for long - term survival. However, it is shown that preserving the ovaries reduces the risk of heart disease and hip fractures as they keep small amounts of estrogen years after menopause. The two ovarian hormones testosterone and androstenedione were found in some women in the age of 80. The thing is that muscle and fat cells turn testosterone into circulating estrogen in that way protecting against heart disease and osteoporosis.
This study is not definite but it does have an important influence on clinical practice. It is certain that both women and their doctors should think twice in the future and be aware of the benefits of leaving the ovaries as they produce hormones that keep bones strong and heart disease at bay.

Keeping Ovaries After Hysterectomy Boosts Survival

Keeping your ovaries during hysterectomy | Battling For Health

Hysterectomy - A Gynecologist's Second Opinion

Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,383,427 times
Just what I love someone who argues in the face of facts that prove they are wrong, and I don't "trust you" - sorry. Again, do some research

Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM

21,335 posts, read 29,036,668 times
Quote:
After years of bleeding, I am over it. I am nearly 56, so well past the childbearing age, and not going into menopause on my own. I see my Gyno next week. I have been given Provera a few times a year in the hopes it will kick me into menopause, but has not. I am frightened of hospitals and do not like being knocked out at all. Being overweight doctors do not want to do surgery on me if they do not have to. I am wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy where they did it through the vagina and did not cut you open. How long were you in the hospital? How painful was it? How long did it take to recover? My understanding is that they can remove everything except the cervix, is that correct? Thanks for any info.
Can I ask where you are located? Someone might be able to suggest a decent doctor for you.

I'm 44 and so far there are no signs of mine stopping. In fact they've gotten worst the last few years. I'm in so much pain and throw so many clots, having my period now is worst then what I'm used to. Then I have extreme pain when I ovulate. Having a bad back makes it even worst because my back pain is affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I had a hysterectomy after my childbearing years because of huge fibroids. I couldn't walk from one end of the house to the other without soaking through because of bleeding and looked six months pregnant. My periods had always been excruciatingly painful, diarrhea, vomiting, felt like my blood was boiling through my whole body, unable to get off the bathroom floor for hours. Difficult to go anywhere or plan on being away from home in anticipation on both counts.
I'm suffering from cysts and there are times when I feel like my veins are boiling. I don't know if it is related, it's the veins in the front and back, but only in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Afterwords in the hospital I was offered self administered morphine using a push button but was able to get away only using a couple of tylenol.
A lot of doctors don't use the push button morphine any more.
If anyone feels they might need it, they should ask the doctor if he uses it.

I had it with my 2nd back surgery, wouldn't you know it the button was broken but they had to make sure it was. I remember it taking hours before it was ruled out.

Quote:
If I had a hysterectomy I would have everything removed. I had a grandmother that died of cervical cancer and cancer on both sides of my family.
In your case I would take it all out, including the cervix.

Quote:
You're right.
When I read about the celebrities getting C sections I cringe because I know what kind of pain they'll be in later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Ovaries are not useless once the womb is gone - I don't think you read the article. I was 37 - still producing hormones through my ovaries - hormones that would have had to be artificially introduced into my body had I not had my ovaries. In some cases, doctors do recommend you keep your ovaries. No cancer in my family, no ovarian disease. Natural is better.
I do agree with that.
If I am faced with this, I'd also probably opt to leave them.
What I'm reading about hormone replacement therapy isn't good. That causes some types of cancer.

Quote:
no-it is true. OK? I know--trust me on this one.
Stop arguing the point.
If you believe one way and I another-so be it.
I know from first hand experience about ovaries malfunctioning once the uterus is out. If you don't know that-then give up the argument. Sheeeeeesh! You are now arguing with yourself. Brokencrayola is NOT keeping her ovaries.
Dang..........
With BC's family history, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave them, why risk another surgery plus having to keep getting checked to see if cancer is there?

Jade Goody just lost her life to cervical cancer, which they thought they caught early.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 AM

593 posts, read 1,713,465 times
I had a vaginal hysterectomy on February 4th. We decided to leave the ovaries as I wanted whatever hormone they produced...I knew I had 2 fibroids that showed up on the vaginal ultrasound I had in Oct. 08....The surgery went well, and the pain was minimal...You will be sore for a few weeks, but it's nothing that I needed to take medicine for...I wished I'd taken the ovaries out, as the next day after surgery the Dr. walked in and told me they found stage 1 uterine cancer and that she needs to go back in and get the ovaries out. So, early in May, I'll be back in surgery and praying that the biopy is OK on the ovaries and lymph glands she wants to test.

At your age, 55 have her take everything so you won't be in my situation. I'm 54 and regret I didn't just go ahead and do it...Just the thought of having surgery again is upsetting to me...My Mom died of cancer the night before my surgery so I was just wiped out the morning of surgery....

I did so much research on hysterectomies, that I almost talked myself out of having one. Thank God I went on and had it done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness