Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,998,362 times

Advertisements

I rarely drink so I really noticed something recently when I had a cocktail with dinner the other week; I get real strong palpitations and discomfort in my chest from alcohol. I've recently been diagnosed with an unidentified arrhythmia which has caused me to near black out on a few occasions, could this be what causes me to react this way to alcohol or do people just sometimes develop an intolerance to alcohol?

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 03-28-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I have seen guys that get so red faced when they drink it is scary.it seem to pump them up while others it makes drousy.I gu8ess its like any drug effects different people differently.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 AM

242 posts, read 1,186,747 times
Default Palputations and alcohol

First of all, are you on any medication for your heart arrthymia? I have read that arrthymias can be naturally corrected if it is not too far gone. But you need to be taking some beneficial supplements as CALCIUM CITRATE and MAGNESIUM CITRATE we need these supplements to provide us the proper nutrition for our heart. HAWTHORNE BERRY is good also. There rae others but include these supplements in your daily diet. Have you ever been on the medication called LEVAQUINN > This is notorious to damage the heart tissue,and one has to take medication for this problem forever.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times
I have a heart arrythmia (PVCs and NSVT) and I have read that alcohol should be completely avoided b/c it results in increased heart palpitations--i.e. it makes your heart arrythmia worse. My heart arrythmia feels like a skip--and then a big thud. I avoided all alcohol for 7 years; I recently started drinking again due to a stressful surgery I'm having next week. It didn't do anything to me; didn't make my palpitations worse. So go figure. I plan to continue drinking--socially. I don't take any meds for my palps.

Have you had the full cardiac workup--i.e. holter monitor, EKG, echo, etc.?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
No, not taking any meds for it and haven't had a work-up to identify the arrhythmia yet. Can't afford to see the cardiologist just yet. I know there are so many different kinds (of arrhythmias) but mine seems to make me feel like I can't get enough air and sometimes makes me nearly faint. I've tried to look up which kind that is but it's too confusing. I know most arrhythmias aren't dangerous, I hope mine's one of those but I'll have to wait a few months before I can find out. In the meantime, I miss having margaritas with my Mexican food. LOL

Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 PM

305 posts, read 1,233,641 times
alcohol can make it worse...

have you tried holding your breath when they come??

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,402 times
hate to sound like captain obvious here.. but perhaps you should avoid alcohol until you consult with your doctor regarding it.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
alcohol can make it worse...

have you tried holding your breath when they come??
No. I've tried coughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
hate to sound like captain obvious here.. but perhaps you should avoid alcohol until you consult with your doctor regarding it.
I'm surprised "In the meantime I miss having margaritas with my Mexican food" didn't tip you off I already have.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,233,641 times
how have you been.......any more palpitations??

Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I have palpitations occasionally but I have never noticed alcohol making them worse. Heartburn seems to trigger mine for some reason, although most doctors would say that's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness