U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 AM

550 posts, read 1,155,972 times

Advertisements

Just about all of us have heard things like
"Sit up straight"
"Stand up straight"
"Stop leaning"
Being said to someone with bad posture, (I've been told this sooo many times) But of course it only works for the second.

Now I'd like some advice on how to get a good posture since the one i got right now sucks.

What I've done so far:
Trained up the muscels in the back, (about 9 months)
Core training (about 6 months)

It haven't helped much....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM

20,545 posts, read 28,595,466 times
I think you have to "constantly" remind yourself to sit and stand straight. You have done well with training your muscles now you just have to practice. I am a terrible sloucher so I know how you feel.

When you sit in a chair sit all the way back with your feet flat on the ground. Don't cross your legs.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,901,818 times
Yoga helped me with my posture. I slouched until about age 45, when I started practicing yoga, which almost immediately improved my posture. I had tried all sorts of other exercises and such over the years, nothing else helped me.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM

165 posts, read 1,233,463 times
Adding some stretching may also help, especially to "open up" the rib cage. Another thing to pay attention to is head position. You may try to push back your shoulders but often that leaves the head jutting forward. I read this tip once: lower your chin to your chest (as best you can) then roll the head back up so it is balanced on the top of your spine.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM

305 posts, read 1,169,886 times
pilates

Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,372,490 times
Walk around the house with a book balanced flat on your head, whenever you're sitting eating, get that book out again, (you'll have to sit up straight to look at what you're eating to prevent the book from falling). When you're out, imagine that book on your head, walking or sitting. Do this long enough and it should improve posture somewhat...practice makes perfect.

You could always pretend you are better than anyone else, look down on people as though you own the footpath you're walking on, or restaurant you're eating at. Pretending, that's what it's all about, take notice of all the 'big shots' and guess if they are for real, or pretending, the only thing they may have that others don't is money, other than that they eat, sleep and go to the loo the same as you and I do. There you go, can't get any more basic than that can you. Let your arrogant self come out <grin>.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
You have done well with training your muscles now you just have to practice. I am a terrible sloucher so I know how you feel.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 PM

14,017 posts, read 19,592,206 times
I agree about yoga. Please try it. I started yoga at age 62 and wish I had started at a younger age.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Status: "The secret to aging well is contentment." (set 19 days ago)

43,882 posts, read 54,720,596 times
I agree about pilates. The few sessions I've had focused on your core and alignment of your body.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 AM

42,661 posts, read 81,090,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I think you have to "constantly" remind yourself to sit and stand straight. You have done well with training your muscles now you just have to practice. I am a terrible sloucher so I know how you feel.

When you sit in a chair sit all the way back with your feet flat on the ground. Don't cross your legs.
I was going to say the opposite. When sitting in your computer chair or at the dining table, sit right up on the front edge of the chair, which will make you sit up straighter.

Stand against a wall, with your shoulder blades and the small of your back and the back of your head all touching the wall, and try to keep your head as straight as possible. Hold it for 30 seconds. Do it several times a day. That will strengthen muscles in your lower abdomen to so you can stand straight tirelessly.

Walk around for a half hour a day with a book balanced on your head. African women have perfect posture, and they carry a heavy jug of water balanced on their head every day several miles from the well to their house. Carrying the weight is only possible with their back straight. But no need to overdo it, a book will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness