Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times

Advertisements

I started HRT in mid february and wondered what type of side effects others have experienced? I am trying to decide if my side effects are run-of-the-mill or not...boobs are painful and feel like over-inflated water balloons! I have gained about 8 lbs in a month! help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Now this is just my opinion, unless my menopausal symptoms were truly over-the-top, I would never take HRT - just too controversial and too many side effects. I never took HRT and had none of those side effects - I had some hot flashes, so I took soy isoflavones and the soy worked like a charm. Some studies show the soy does help, others say not....all I know is that, placebo effect or not, I was helped and able to finish menopause without taking HRT. Have you explored different alternatives for your menopausal symptoms?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
That is one of the few meds I have taken that helped me without side effects. After all the bad publicity came out, I took myself off of them which shocked my doctor and he wanted to know WHY?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
I did try the natural route. there was no relief. I was having night sweats so bad for months. I wasn't sleeping at all. it was horrible. doctor has put me on the lowest dose. It has really helped. It even helps with incontinence..go figure. she said that incontinence happens from loss of hormones. I hadn't known that. So the symptoms that I was having are gone, and sleep is a good thing. these side effects just started about 2 wks ago. I am giving things a few more days, then calling!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
You may need some fluid pills? I would call the doctor and let him know.. There is no need to suffer, it could be a simple fix.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
At age 50 my Gyn prescribed HRT saying "it will keep you young" so I took the pills for several months. I don't remember why I stopped...... just didn't feel "right" but I discontinued taking them and had all the classic symptoms of menopause for the next several years

Uncomfortable.... yes, especially living in tropical Miami If I happened to be in the supermarket when a hot-flash came on, I'd poke my head in the nearest freezer and pretend to look for some frozen food

Anyway, I survived. Menopause is natural and I would do it all over again rather than risk the results of side-effects. I'm 70 and don't need to take any drugs to regulate a healthy body

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
during my quest for "just the right HRT" I tried the hormone patch and woweee did my breasts hurt!!! Didn't use the patch for long.
I take Estradiol now--no side effects.
I wish I could find a pill to make me gain; but I'm sorry you're having trouble adjusting.
The only HRT I detest is Premarin!!!!!!!!! Poor horses they torment for the sake of the almighty dollor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I started HRT in mid february and wondered what type of side effects others have experienced? I am trying to decide if my side effects are run-of-the-mill or not...boobs are painful and feel like over-inflated water balloons! I have gained about 8 lbs in a month! help...

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
yeah, the weight gain really is the pits but is your quality of life better with the meds or without? Me, I went off 'em because I got a baby pooch 30 years after the fact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness