Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times

Advertisements

I DO NOT RECOMMEND...
but even NyQuil will help, it has dexylamine succinate, is an antihistamine that helps (sedative).
But he should see a doctor, and I don't recommend to use NyQuil just for that purpose (but it will do the trick). If she really continues this way, maybe he should see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Avoid prescription sleeping pills like the plague! They are addictive - even the new class like ambien and lunesta are, and over time the effectiveness decreases. Most people don't know about these as well is that they interfere with sleeping patterns, so even though you are asleep you get more light sleep cycles and less deep and REM sleep - NOT GOOD. I've been addicted to Immovane (Canadian version of Lunesta) which is zopiclone and I can tell you, he doesn't want to not only have sleeping problems, but a prescription addiction problem. Plus, over time as I said, you're lucky to get 4 hours of crappy sleep even taking full single and double doses. These things should be banned!

Valerian tea isn't a bad option. Another thing you might have him try is 5-HTP. Google search it - i think it actually improves sleep patterns. I take it and haven't noticed sides either! Some ppl like Melatonin but i haven't noticed anything taking it. Higher dose vitamin B12 is another option along with the Calcium/Magnesium combo someone suggested. The thing is you don't wanna take too many pills either - so it might be a good idea to experiment with some to see if any has a desired effect.

Aside from what to take and not to take, wherever he sleeps make sure he doesn't attribute it with stress of not sleeping!! Even if you have to get him another room for him than do it. He should only associate that room with sleeping! If he can't sleep in 20 mins he should leave the room and go back only when he is sleepy! However I can't say enough, make this room only for sleeping so he associates it with nothing else but that. Seeing you sawing logs can only add to the stress of not sleeping and its a never ending cycle.

Of course, stress will keep a mind awake. He should deal with these things obviously. The job situation needs to be addressed. Can he work on getting another one or deal with his employer and let them know what is going on, maybe he is in the wrong position. Prior to bedtime, he should come up with a journal where he writes down all his stresses on paper so he has tranferred them from mind to paper so that his mind isn't racing once he gets to his bed.

Good luck, i know how much it sucks not getting to sleep, but the last thing he needs to do is beat himself up over it and just remind himself that this will pass and he isn't going to have sleeping problems forever.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I was suffereing insomnia for a while as being out of work from the recession and some other personal issues had me keyed up at nite and i solved it by taking Magnesiun (oxide) 600 mg with without calcium before bed and that really has helped.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
In college I would rotate between Nyquil and Vodka, not proud of it, but I sure slept alot...Sigh, my poor liver.

This is a good read though because I have been struggling with sleep issues the past 5 months. I will look into some of these natural remedies and report back once I try them...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I am a firefighter...I have insomnia.....I take Xanax on those nights I cannot fall asleep. My insomnia is anxiety related. It works well for me.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM

88 posts, read 420,298 times
Melatonin works pretty well for me. It's a natural hormone. In stores usually the pills are 3mg, but that is a very high dose. Only 1/10th of a pill should work well. A too high dose (3mg) may not work, and just cause side effects.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Benadryl

Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I was suffereing insomnia for a while as being out of work from the recession and some other personal issues had me keyed up at nite and i solved it by taking Magnesiun (oxide) 600 mg with without calcium before bed and that really has helped.

I agree with the Magnesium without the calcium.

I take Magnesium taurate before bed along with 3mg of melatonin (I weigh 235) and zinc. DO NOT TAKE ZINC ON AN EMPTY STOMACH ! !

These are all proven to reduce stress for men.

I have found that there are not any B vitamins that I can take before bed as they all (for me) have a stimulating affect.

oh, and no caffeine after 12 noon. Exercising before bed just doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness