Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I've had mine now since just before the start of this thread in April 2009 (I'm the Original Poster) and still have never fully adapted to the the progressives. At my next eye exam I'll probably go back to bifocals and do without the midrange, or get special "computer glasses" for long stints at the screen.

Oddly, in getting an emergency paid of replacement glasses for my wife recently, we encountered very good service at one of the big brand 1-hour places at the mall. The guy there really knew his stuff, helped her pick the right shaped frame, really took good care of her. She has progressives now and prefers them over contacts, with no problems at all. I'm so jealous.

Steve
I'm glad I found your post; I wish I found it sooner.
We've been going to Lens Crafters for the last few years for hub- he has progressive bifocals. His script always costs about $400 each- as we have been getting sunglasses made too.

This year he wanted to try our insurance- Davis Vision- he was getting quotes on glasses for under $250- he went to 2 places. Something just did not sound right to me. I ended up going with him; the frames felt cheap- according to the plan they were $25 I think. They felt like they would snap if you touched them wrong. We went over what he was looking to order; it was supposedly the same as what he always gets.. I did not understand how it could be so cheap- I wondered if the lenses would not be good quality.

He humored me; we ended up going back to Lens Crafters; the service is so much different. They've always told us that he needs a certain type of frame; neither of the other 2 places said that. We also spoke to the gal there; she said they don't use the same quality lens & that the transition may not be as smooth.

He ended up ordering from Lens Crafters- cost was close to $1,000. The way i figure was that the frames always last us- we figured he gets new glasses every 3 years- some years he's reused the frames- had he gotten the $250 glasses- if they did not last as long; that would end up being the same, if not more because we'd probably have to pay more the next time if they broke after the warranty expired but before he was due.

The biggest consideration was that he drives a truck- if his glasses break he can usually find a Lens Crafters; he can't say the same for the places we would have used with insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,978 times
I've had my progressives since December. At first I was doing fine , or at least I thought I was, as I do not wear them for everything, but now, occassionaly, I get dizzy/lightheaded, especially on the computer! I noticed the other day when I was cleaning a top of a dresser and then went to something below that, I got very dizzy! Has this happened to anyone? I switched back to my reading glasses for now and have no issue other than I can't see far. Why is this happening? Maybe it is not the glasses? I seriously feel like I am losing my mind!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
There is a difference in brands of progressive lens. Varilux are the most expensive and the better gradations of vision. My doctor told me that if I had used and liked Varilux (and I have had them for about 20 yrs), I would not like the others are they were less fine in their gradations. I loved the Varilux but i also told the optician that I generally hold my head just a little bit back on my neck so I wanted the 'point" set lower than normal.

Now that I have had cataract surgery, I only need reading glasses.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-25-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,957 times
My progressive lenses make things look out of shape, a square will look somewhat out of square. A stright line wil have a curve to it. I took them back and they said that they were made correct.Thanks Pat.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I am a couple days in to getting used to my first pair of progressive bifocals. I feel like I'm going to hurl at any moment. Yesterday I had to take them off for several hours and the nausea went away.

I think what's happening is they are sliding down my nose and I end up looking at the small things like the type on the screen with the wrong part of the lenses. I will have to go back and get them to adjust the nose pieces.

The nausea reminds me of pregnancy. I don't even want to eat.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
about 15 min. Never had a any problems, though I thought I would. Now wear trifocals as I need a large field of vision, being an acountant. Have never had a problem. Good luck to you and I am grateful I had no problem with the transition.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Never had a problem adapting to progressive lenses. About the only thing that still bothers me is using an escalator. It feels like it's coming up to meet me. So I flip my glasses up first.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I love progressives! I think it took me about a week to feel really comfortable with my first pair. After that, I wondered how I lived without them! Mine are trifocal progressives.

About 8 years after getting that first pair, though, I still don't like to walk up and down stairs with them on, and am not comfortable driving with them on. They screw up my depth perception a little bit. I don't need them for distance anyway, so that's not a problem. They're perfect for reading for and using the computer much of the day at work.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
Had regular progressives first and absolutely hated them. When I switched to the ones with the wider reading area (Varilux is one name), I adapted to them almost immediately.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,757 times
I just got these darn lenses. The reading part is very narrow with blurring at the edges of the sheet of paper. Paid for the top quality lenses not sure that is what I received. I was told the peripheral reading blurriness does not go away. Is this true? Computer work is difficult, feel like a bobble-head doll trying to type and see the screen. Will be taking them back since I don't have time to "adjust to them" way too much reading and computer use every day to be on the vision roller coaster.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness