Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14krei View Post
I just got these darn lenses. The reading part is very narrow with blurring at the edges of the sheet of paper. Paid for the top quality lenses not sure that is what I received. I was told the peripheral reading blurriness does not go away. Is this true? Computer work is difficult, feel like a bobble-head doll trying to type and see the screen. Will be taking them back since I don't have time to "adjust to them" way too much reading and computer use every day to be on the vision roller coaster.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Where did you have them done? Did you use a smaller place or lens crafters?
We have not had trouble with hubs but we always go to Lens Crafters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Where did you have them done? Did you use a smaller place or lens crafters?
We have not had trouble with hubs but we always go to Lens Crafters.
I like LensCrafters. They are much faster and cheaper than most places, and from what I could tell, also very good quality. They got people their glasses within an hour for the most part, sometimes in two hours, and they ground lenses on site up to +/- 22.00 D and up to about 6.00 D of cylinder. I'm probably biased cause I worked there but I went to a different optical and they wanted to keep my glasses for two days and with my prescription I am legally blind without my glasses (can't see the E chart on the wall). I could have made do because I know braille/cane skills but most people haven't been blind before and have no idea how to function blind. (I decided to go somewhere else because I had just gotten my vision back and my family was rejoicing so the last thing I wanted to do was tell them "oh I am legally blind for two days again".) I think expecting to keep people's glasses for over a few hours when they have an Rx of -/+ 3.00 D or more is way out of the question (and even that is pushing it for anyone who isn't used to having anything less than perfect vision). JMO.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Had regular progressives first and absolutely hated them. When I switched to the ones with the wider reading area (Varilux is one name), I adapted to them almost immediately.
I went with a wider progressive also, due to my work at the time, as I needed a bit wider field of vision for armlength work.

Would never consider anything but progressive lenses, and not out of vanity, but for function.

Adjustment time, by the time I got home from the optometrist office.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I like LensCrafters. They are much faster and cheaper than most places, and from what I could tell, also very good quality. They got people their glasses within an hour for the most part, sometimes in two hours, and they ground lenses on site up to +/- 22.00 D and up to about 6.00 D of cylinder. I'm probably biased cause I worked there but I went to a different optical and they wanted to keep my glasses for two days and with my prescription I am legally blind without my glasses (can't see the E chart on the wall). I could have made do because I know braille/cane skills but most people haven't been blind before and have no idea how to function blind. (I decided to go somewhere else because I had just gotten my vision back and my family was rejoicing so the last thing I wanted to do was tell them "oh I am legally blind for two days again".) I think expecting to keep people's glasses for over a few hours when they have an Rx of -/+ 3.00 D or more is way out of the question (and even that is pushing it for anyone who isn't used to having anything less than perfect vision). JMO.
I have a post on page 1 which I will quote & paste in. We were quoted under $250 at places that take our Davis vision for glasses that always cost us $400+ at Lens Crafters. My hub has been recovering from oral cancer & his brain isn't working totally correctly- when Davis said they can do it for cheap he wanted to save the money & do it. Never once did they say he couldn't get smallish frames because of the script but Lens Crafters always tell him that & I wonder if that is part of the problem with those having problems- they are not using the correct frames. I would rather pay more & have it done right.

It took about a week to get his glasses- they had to be sent out because of his script; plus we got sunglasses

My original post

Quote:
I'm glad I found your post; I wish I found it sooner.
We've been going to Lens Crafters for the last few years for hub- he has progressive bifocals. His script always costs about $400 each- as we have been getting sunglasses made too.

This year he wanted to try our insurance- Davis Vision- he was getting quotes on glasses for under $250- he went to 2 places. Something just did not sound right to me. I ended up going with him; the frames felt cheap- according to the plan they were $25 I think. They felt like they would snap if you touched them wrong. We went over what he was looking to order; it was supposedly the same as what he always gets.. I did not understand how it could be so cheap- I wondered if the lenses would not be good quality.

He humored me; we ended up going back to Lens Crafters; the service is so much different. They've always told us that he needs a certain type of frame; neither of the other 2 places said that. We also spoke to the gal there; she said they don't use the same quality lens & that the transition may not be as smooth.

He ended up ordering from Lens Crafters- cost was close to $1,000. The way i figure was that the frames always last us- we figured he gets new glasses every 3 years- some years he's reused the frames- had he gotten the $250 glasses- if they did not last as long; that would end up being the same, if not more because we'd probably have to pay more the next time if they broke after the warranty expired but before he was due.

The biggest consideration was that he drives a truck- if his glasses break he can usually find a Lens Crafters; he can't say the same for the places we would have used with insurance.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM

I read your post but I couldn't tell if you were saying you like LensCrafters or don't like LensCrafters. I was confused about when you were talking about Davis and when you were talking about LenCrafters.

I never got to see the quality of the lenses for myself (I was blind when I worked there) but we had a high rate of customer satisfaction and rated one of the highest in the nation. I am wondering if it has to do with the on-site optometrist more than anything though. The optometrist can really make a difference because it's all about how well they grind the lenses. One of the optometrists could grind up to +/-22 D on-site which I am pretty sure is out of the norm so it may have been our specific location that yielded such high customer satisfaction.

The frames there ran pretty cheap. My ex got her glasses with frames, -4.00 D OU for about $200 which I thought was impressive. When I got my lenses (about 1.5x stronger than my ex's in the opposite direction) at another optical, the cost was over $400. Even after factoring in my progressives it seems way more expensive that my lenses alone were more than twice as much as her lenses and frames. So it just seemed to me based on customer satisfaction and from buying her glasses that LensCrafters was a good deal cheaper. But I never saw any of the paper work for myself so I can't be sure. I was in charge of getting customers in the door but I couldn't work the computers cause they weren't blind accessible.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I read your post but I couldn't tell if you were saying you like LensCrafters or don't like LensCrafters. I was confused about when you were talking about Davis and when you were talking about LenCrafters.
No; I like Lens Crafters; even though they're more- you get what you pay for. My hub drives a truck; his glasses have to be right & LC gets it right.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
No; I like Lens Crafters; even though they're more- you get what you pay for. My hub drives a truck; his glasses have to be right & LC gets it right.
Oh OK. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,188 times
Why is my bifocal part of my progressive lenses so small?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:08 PM

240 posts, read 586,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva S. View Post
As an optician, i hope the following information helps new progressive wearers.

What are progressive lenses: A progressive is like a lined trifocal lens. There is correction for your distance, intermediate and reading except you dont see any lines. Therefore, people don't know you have reading glasses.

Benefits of a progressive lens
1. Progressive have and intermediate range correction.
2. you wont need 3 pairs of glasses with you at all times. Progressive lenses are like having 3 in 1.
3. People wont know you're wearing reading glasses.

Downsides to Progressive Lenses:
1. Peripheral distortion.
2. Adapting period may last 2 days up to 1 week.

If someone comes into my office claiming they cant adapt to their new progressive lenses, these are the things I consider and troubleshoot for:

1. RX. the stronger it is the harder it is to adapt.
2. Progressive lens corridor: Depending on their lifestyle they may need to upgrade to a wider field of vision aka Advanced View Progressive or Varilux to have more peripheral vision.
3. Size and Shape of the frame: The bigger and wider (rectangular shaped) the frame is, the more distortion you are more likely to have. If customer refuses to restyle into a smaller frame, i always suggest upgrading.

What i advice my customers:
1. I always tell my customers that it takes about 3 days to 1 wk to adapt to a new progressive lens depending on rx strength and change.

2. The easiness of adapting into a new progressive lens depends really on your RX. The weaker it is, the easier it is to adapt.

3. You will ALWAYS have peripheral distortion out of a progressive lens. There are many lenses progressive type of lenses like Advanced View Progressive (AVP) or Varilux Progressive lenses that minimize the distortion (especially when it comes down to your reading and intermediate channels) but there is nothing out there that completely gets rid of it.

4. Always point your nose in the direction of things you want to see clearly, then glide your head up and down until the image comes into focus. For driving & reading you will have to get used to moving your head, due to peripheral distortion.

5. Also, adjustments are very important! Keep up with your adjustments and replace your nose pads every 2-3 months. Over time, your glasses end up at the tip of your nose causing your reading segment to get lower and lower which may end up giving you headaches and neck pains.

6. Until after a wk. DO NOT go back to your old glasses. It will take you longer to adjust to your new rx. if you do so.

7. if after reading and following the above you still cant adapt, then lined bifocal lenses would be your answer or just having to pairs of glasses 1. for dist and 2nd for reading.

Hope my advice helps =)
A couple of questions since you are an optician. Nothing like getting free advice from a pro-

I have worn progressives forever, I hated the lined ones. What I was wondering is whether there is any difference between bifocal and trifocal progressives. I have always ordered trifocals and got charged a little more than for bifocal progressives.

- One optician told me that there is no such thing as a person whose vision can be corrected with bifocals because once one needs glasses for near and far there will always be a certain distance that will be fuzzy with bifocals. That is what happened to me. I had to have trifocals from the first because I couldn't see the 20 - 30 inch range. Computer range in other words.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I got used to mine almost immediately As you probably know, you must move your head and not just your eyes. Anyway, I got used to mine OK, and so do most people.
My DH, however was a different story. The same thing happened to him with 2 different eye doctors. Both times, he had no peripheral vision on his left side while wearing the most advanced type of progressive lenses. Sometimes, a person's brain cannot translate the vision, and these do not work. It is not the fault of the eye doctor, but it is a quirk in your brain. In my husband's case, he went back to a less than state of the art type of trifocal, and they work just fine. If this had not happened with two separate eye doctors, we would have blamed them, but both times, the doctors gave it their best shot and the same thing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness