Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 12,691 times

Advertisements

I just had mine removed on Monday. :[ I'm a 17 year old girl if that means anything. I just went in yesterday cause I had a low-grade fever, but it was nothing. He took off the bandages and checked my stitches. I seem to be healing up really well. I haven't been in too much pain, my throat hurt more than anything because I had a breathing tube in during the surgery due to me being asleep. But everything is looking good so far! :] My stitches look sooo cool! lol They look really professional and neat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Congratulations to all of you who seem to be healing well!

We have no good news. After my son's incision was cauterized (again) on 9/2, the wound has reopened, and become infected. I think we are looking at more surgery. Unfortunately, this is his senior year in HS, and he doesn't want to miss anything. I just promised him we will find an answer before he leaves for college...

Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 75,676 times
Thumbs up 10 wks after surgery

Hello! I still have the wound vac on but next wednesday it'll be coming off. I should be at 3cm deep and 2cm by 2cm. Much better then the 12square inches and 4inches deep that we started with 2 months ago! Not on antibioics bc everything is growing back clean and healthy. I would recommend the wound vac after surgery to anyone that is having a hard time healing with sponges ans packing. I will update when I'm cleared of all this! Sarah

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
My son is receiving new treatment also. His doctor is 'experimenting" with however they treat diabetic ulcers. I don't pretend to understand what the process is, but his doctor is pleased with the results so far, and the bleeding seems to have stopped!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 126,755 times
I lost track of this site and how to get back on here, but wanted to update. My son ended up having a second surgery in mid Dec 2009 (during Christmas break) by a different surgeon. That decision was not made halfheartedly, but after prayerful consideration and the recommendation of two very experienced surgeons. It was a very deep incision and nearly took my breath away the first time I had to change the dressing, even as a nurse, because it was MY son. Home health care was not an option because my son was away at college and they would not treat him. They had told before that it was because he was in dorm and when I challenged that they ended up admitting it was a lack of reimbursement issue from Blue Cross. They indicated that if we had been Medicaid insured, it would be profitable for them! Unreal. Anyway, following this second surgery, I was told that Home Health could only see him once or twice a week maximum initially and their goal was transition care to the patient and/or his caregiver. I was floored. My son was not able to see his wound, much less shave the area thoroughly as advised by the surgeon as critical to prevent recurrence. And, there was no caregiver in his dorm! Plus, the dressing was supposed to be changed twice a day minimum. We ended up foregoing Home Health's ridiculous offer and I changed it myself 2-3 times a day during the Christmas break and then drove to his dorm and changed it once a day after that. I get upset just retelling this scenario knowing that a person could have surgery that extensive and be sent home to essentially fend for himself afterward.
I am happy to report that 5 months later, his wound is almost completely healed. It is now the size of the cotton wrapped portion of a Q-tip (length and depth) which is a far cry from a wound that initially I could have put my whole fist inside! The only issue we are dealing with now is that it seems to almost be at a standstill for the past couple of weeks with regard to further healing. The surgeon we used in mid Dec has relocated out of state to a better position in a hospital in the state he was from originally. He essentially released my son last month before he moved saying he had never seen one heal to the point my son was at at that time without going on to heal completely. He even estimated just a few more weeks and it should be fully healed. At this point, we have an appt with the surgeon who is now seeing all of the other surgeon's patients in his absence, but it is not until mid June. My hope and prayer is that it will be healed completely before then, but no one can give me any ideas to expedite the healing. I have been using the saline soaked gauze intermittently with the Aquacel AG. Anyone had any success with something else at this point in the healing process? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Maybe I was very fortunate compared to some here, as I had my cyst removed years ago when I was in my early 20's. I'd had it for a number of years and put up with it but it started to hurt and fill on a regular basis, so I had to deal with it. It wasn't huge but very painful.

After the surgery I had to sit on a doughnut inflatable pillow for a couple of weeks at work. The incision site did become infected a bit. A nurse told me to do sitz baths with Epsom salts and warm water twice a day, which I did. After three weeks or so, the incision had closed, healed, no more infection. The cyst never returned.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Oh, my! So strange to come upon this thread. I had wondered for about a year what the hard growth/cyst was that had appeared from no where. No pain, no other issues than it just being there. Then suddenly two days ago, sitting was painful, walking was sore and then out of no where it burst. I just drenched the area with hydrogen peroxide and hoped for the best. Today, however, it is angry, red and sore. I have come to admit to myself that this is not going away by itself and bracing myself for a visit to a doctor. God, I am dreading it. I am hoping this can be handled in her office. I had NO idea that it took so long to heal and that infection could be caused so easily after removal. Thanks to all of you who took the time to post. It has been truly educational to me.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 7,202 times
I just recently went under for my second surgery and its still not healed. if anyone is interested, CHOP is amazing. thats, the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. my doctor Dr. Edward J. Doolin is amazing deffently helped me through all of this. and its not that his meathods dont work.. i just dont give them enough time to heal

Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I'm female and had one removed from the top of my butt crack about 7 years ago at Mayo Clinic. It was an outpatient procedure. I think the thing that helped me heal the most was weekly post op visits to have dead skin removed from the edges of the wound. A note of caution though, it hurts like nobodys business, because they didn't numb me up. After about 4 weeks of that, I was pretty much all healed up. I hope everyone who is getting this done, or already had it done heals up well.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,183 times
I am a female, I got my first cyst when i was 17 and I have been dealing with it ever since..I am 22 now and I have had countless reoccurence with mine. It's miserable. I've also had it opened and drained countless times. apparently they didn't get it all the first try of removal so I'm scheduling my second trip to the OR to try it again. My incision right now is about an inch wide and an inch long and is 1/2 an inch deep. I have it packed just like all the other times before waiting on it to heal from the inside out (which is always the best way to do it) I've been letting it heal that was for the past 5 years and it does just fine. It always coming back is the problem. But with my experience stitching is only traps any little bit of anything that the may have forgotten in the OR causing it to come back sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness