Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Beef doesn't seem to agree with me..but I do confess to a weakness for bbq'd ribs once in a while--and a BLT is a very special treat on a rare occasion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
After you've tried the lifestyle changes and a simple diuretic, what's the next choice for a medication with the fewest side effects to lower BP?

Do you have a favorite that's worked great for you?
Here is a good article from Life Extension Magazine about natural alternatives.

High Blood Pressure: Online References For Health Concerns

Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Thanks for the LE article link. Very interesting. Grape seed extract looks promising...and I think I'll add Vitamin E to the other vitamins/minerals I take.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
The only difference between splenda and sugar (sucrose) is minimum, only the addition of 3 chlorine atoms (Cl) instead of 2 OH. The structure is completely identical (except for the 3 chlorine).

So I guess the Gov is trying to kill people with splenda. And everything that comes from the Gov is false? amazing, and everything that comes from non-scientific data is real? can you provide information about splenda? Because the only that I remember was one done with extreme high lever al splenda. But if you can provide any real information about splenda (a real study done from a real source: Association or University)
The only thing you will find is a bunch of information with no real data behind it but sounds credible (like most things on the internet).
But everybody has their right to believe everything they want.
Just like believing tha 9/11 was an inside job.
9/11 could have very well been an inside job but I would not expect someone who thinks Splenda is safe to think that far outside their little box. I don't need any study or someone telling me splenda isn't safe. The bottom line is it is not neccessary for any health concious person to ever touch the stuff. Honey, Agave are both great, safer alternatives. For diabetics it appears stevia is a good alternative as are a few sugar alcohols such as xylitol (unless you have dogs).

Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
Quote:
Thanks for the LE article link. Very interesting. Grape seed extract looks promising...and I think I'll add Vitamin E to the other vitamins/minerals I take.
I am glad your going the natural route first. I have complete confidence you will fix the BP by doing things naturally. It may take some time or tweaking but you will get it. Keep me updated and if you have any questions just PM me!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
9/11 could have very well been an inside job but I would not expect someone who thinks Splenda is safe to think that far outside their little box. I don't need any study or someone telling me splenda isn't safe. The bottom line is it is not neccessary for any health concious person to ever touch the stuff. Honey, Agave are both great, safer alternatives. For diabetics it appears stevia is a good alternative as are a few sugar alcohols such as xylitol (unless you have dogs).
Sure 9/11 could be an inside job, but is it likely? No, was it demolition? I dont think so, it requires hundreds pounds of explosion, and during the thousand of people running around nobody saw not even one, and to make things worse all of the columns in in the towers are naked columns, meaning that everybody would see the explosive on the columns.
But back to subject.
My problem with your comment is that you don't require study or evidence. That is funny... But it appears you couldn't find what I asked for, since you don't require a study saying that splenda is bad for your health, you just go with your limited knowledge of what is actually splenda. ok

Old 04-23-2009, 05:24 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure crept up on me as I got older and the truth is, according to my physician, once you go on the BP medication it is a rare thing to come off of it as you get older. There is no way for a lay person to recommend BP medication as they all have different side effects for different people. I suggest that you not depend on BP medication advise on here rather go talk with your physician and have him/her recommend what they think you need...I have been on several different ones and for the most part only one of them has caused issues for me. My BP situation is a permanent thing because I did have open heart surgery...others need it for other reasons.

Talk to your Doctor!!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Quote:
Quote:
After you've tried the lifestyle changes and a simple diuretic, what's the next choice for a medication with the fewest side effects to lower BP?

Do you have a favorite that's worked great for you?

Lopressor, Maxide
quite a few people that I know with age range 20's to 90's
disclaimer..
my answer from the people that I've observed, I'm not endorsing these

Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
My blood pressure has crept up over the years due to weight gain and genetic factors. When I could no longer control it myself by shedding some pounds my doctor put me on a low dose diuretic, hydrochlorathiazide, at age 48. Unfortunately my blood pressure has continued to increase, additional stress and menopausal symptoms have added to the mix. Now I must take Lisinopril and hydrochlorathiazide at a low dose. I'm hoping to lessen the dosage over time with more weight loss. good luck, OP.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM

324 posts, read 862,576 times
Quite a number of people are salt sensitive when it comes to high blood pressure. Drastically decreasing your salt intake may make a difference < 2grams a day. The current recommendations recommend starting with a diuretic ( eg. Hydrochlorothiazide) or Ace inhibitor ( eg. Lisinopril) as first line agents. Of course there are different medications with other indicators. Also weight loss- if you are borderline over weight, or obese will help with lowering your blood pressure. Switching to decaf may also help. Again please seek advice from your physician before embarking on any OTC medications or herbal medicines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness