Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM

130 posts, read 390,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Yes, because there is no reason to cause mass hysteria.

Unlikely when mass ignorance prevails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Unlikely when mass ignorance prevails.
From the CDC web site:

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation

Quote:
Laboratory testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir and has issued interim guidance for the use of these drugs to treat and prevent infection with swine influenza viruses. CDC also has prepared interim guidance on how to care for people who are sick and interim guidance on the use of face masks in a community setting where spread of this swine flu virus has been detected. This is a rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide new information as it becomes available.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,269,607 times
Thank you for posting this info. DH and I were talking about how we could get the word out and I was contemplating how to post on CD so that people in Charlotte could be prepared. Great resources - really appreciate your being proactive.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,643,102 times
Thanks, ani.

This is very real and not being "hyped" up. We in public health are taking this very seriously. It is imperative that people take action to protect themselves and their family by prevention and preparedness.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,980,037 times
What will people without health insurance do to keep their families healthy and get treatment and diagnosis early on? Will their lack of health insurance effect those of us with?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,980,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
My intel on "inadequate healthcare" is the fact that Mexico is a Third World Country, air pollution is much worse, and nutrition is not as healthy.

What I meant by "get a quick hold of" is that I really think that the CDC is getting as fast as possible in front of the swine flu. As someone else mentioned on here (I think it was ilovebrentwood), this is all about preparation. The CDC and the media have put the word out on the symptoms, what to look out for, and commonalities between all the pople who have been afflicted by the wine flu.

Frankly, I know to make sure to not come into contact with any person who recently travelled to Mexico. I also know not to travel to Mexico, but that seems to soon be off limits anyways.
I wonder if you are better off to have health insurance in a country without great health care or to be in a country with good health care and without insurance when it comes to a time like this?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 37,977 times
Sad is that it could happen But I do belive most have a strong system that can get sick .Frist I would not go to Mexico for any reason I do not think we should let our school kids go any were near Mexicao for any reason!!! I(f you do and they cone back sick you should be charge with child endanerment) Stay here in the states and spend the money here !
If I was traveling in the areas that have had some out breaks (TX?KS) (watch out with all the imm NC will be next)I would take extra care! But for the normal health person .Hand washing sty awy from sick people which mean if you sick STAY HOME!!
But for people that have ot work and go on with daliy life just live as you woulkd, Yes I will keep watch and check back in 2 weeks to see what happen!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:32 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,070,788 times
Mass hysteria will happen only IF (and I say IF, because no one knows for sure) someone in NC gets it (and it IS swine/bird/human flu) AND no one is prepared.

What's the big deal? Go get 25 or 50 lbs of rice, beans, canned vegetables -- at minimum. Get stuff that you can put on the shelf that won't go bad for a couple (or more) years. Get paper products to last a while. You can hold on to the food, and if nothing happens for a year or two, you have ingredients for some nice rice and vegetable soup. (It comes in handy if you lose your job, too.)

IF it happens, your only way to avoid it will be to stay at home. So prepare to stay at home as long as you can afford. The government says have enough for two weeks. The reason they don't say more than that is because they know many people can't afford it. That's the only reason. How do I know that? They told me when I asked a couple of years ago! (Ideally, it should be months.)

This is the site I created a few years ago: BirdFluPreparation.com - News, Resources, Links And as I said, there are no ads on it whatsoever. I did it as a public service. I get nothing from it.

On the left side of the page on the BirdFluPreparation.com site, there are links to two PowerPoint presentations. They used to be in another format, but that didn't work anymore for whatever reason, so they are straight ppt presentations now. If they display for you and they come up in ppt format, click the "From the beginnng" link or "View show" links in your ppt program. (I say in the ppt you might be able to get drugs from the birdflupreparation site, but that is not true; I decided not to set that up.)

P.S. Who said "it's going to be here in days" ? That's irresponsible. No one said that. No one knows. Just educate yourself and prepare.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-26-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 02:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,269,607 times
Unfortunately, things are being reported on CNN as if there is nothing to really worry about. Plus, a spokesperson from Homeland Security (I believe that was the dept) was downplaying it - saying people don't need to be overly concerned, an emergency is being declared just so resources can be put in place, etc. Well, people DO need to at least pay attention and be prepared, while we all HOPE this will not prove to be a national problem.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,696,959 times
Another fear/propoganda attack by the media to get everyone all scared....I don't think it will amount to anything but a regular flu (which suxcks according to ppl who get it) but I would not get worried about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness