Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that it would affect Mexicans in the United States more than other people in the US? Or is that not what you are saying?
I think he means because they are most likely to have contact with Mexicans from Mexico. They are more likely to work with Mexicans. They are more likely to live among other Mexicans. Overall, they are more likley to be around Mexicans who recently crossed the border. Plus they go home to visit relatives who still live in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think because its said to be human to human and the outbreak started in mexico. The more people in contract with those exposed the harder hit. Just as its said that two of the children in NY had been to mexico. In fact that is probaly why its hitting thoise 20 to40 the most;they work and have more contacts.
I'm interested in learning what they are able to determine with their investation.

One reason older people might not be getting it is because they did vacinate for swine flu back after the Fort Dix outbreak in the late 70s. The elderly cashier at my drug store received that swine flu vacination. Since the this new strain has the EXACT swine flu strain, maybe that's keeping elderly from catching it since the elderly are also vaccinated for the human flu every year.

Another likely scenario is the fact the more young and elderly receive the human flu vacinations each year. Maybe it's possible that the transmitting part of this strain is the human virus part and those vacinations protect transmission.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Thumbs down Swine Flu Preparation, will be here within days

Okay, now that the CDC states that the cat is out of box and its not going back in, we have to prepare. This nasty bug is killing about 11% of those who catch it. The highest percentage are those in their prime state of health as the immune system over reacts, rendering a deadly reaction.

This flue is VERY unique and never seen before and is still mutating and evolving and likely will evolve into something far more deadly. It has an old harsh form of the pig or swine flu, combined with bird flu AND human flu viruses. It can jump from human to human and lives outside its host for 96 hours, or more!

This is likely going to be a BIG one that we in the Triangle WILL have to deal with. Health officials expect this nasty bugger to spready around the world within the next 2-12 days.

To protect yourself, you will need a high quality surgical mask, or high particulate mask like a car painter wears. Respirator. And, you will need to wear it at all times while out in the public and outside your home.

You will also need to avoid touching your face and use alcohol sanitizer each time you touch a foreign surface.

Prepare or, or get sick and die.

Call the local school board and ask them to close down the schools until this thing blows over. Schools typically are the culprits in spreading these things faster wild fire. This because the kids catch and it bring it home to the rest of the family. Schools should be closed at once! It will arrive, it is already in 9 states, why wait?

We do indeed live in interesting times..........

Old 04-25-2009, 07:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I had already figured out who posted this when I read 1/2 of the post LOL

Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Okay, now that the CDC states that the cat is out of box and its not going back in, we have to prepare. This nasty bug is killing about 11% of those who catch it. The highest percentage are those in their prime state of health as the immune system over reacts, rendering a deadly reaction.

This flue is VERY unique and never seen before and is still mutating and evolving and likely will evolve into something far more deadly. It has an old harsh form of the pig or swine flu, combined with bird flu AND human flu viruses. It can jump from human to human and lives outside its host for 96 hours, or more!

This is likely going to be a BIG one that we in the Triangle WILL have to deal with. Health officials expect this nasty bugger to spready around the world within the next 2-12 days.

To protect yourself, you will need a high quality surgical mask, or high particulate mask like a car painter wears. Respirator. And, you will need to wear it at all times while out in the public and outside your home.

You will also need to avoid touching your face and use alcohol sanitizer each time you touch a foreign surface.

Prepare or, or get sick and die.

Call the local school board and ask them to close down the schools until this thing blows over. Schools typically are the culprits in spreading these things faster wild fire. This because the kids catch and it bring it home to the rest of the family. Schools should be closed at once! It will arrive, it is already in 9 states, why wait?

We do indeed live in interesting times..........

Yo....chicken little....

You know not of what you speak so just chill and stop trying to cause a panic...

"Prepare or get sick and die... How many US citizens that have "possibly" been infected have died.....um, how about ZERO

Interesting that the official CDC bulletin looks NOTHING like your cry of fire in a crowded theater....

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/pdf/HAN_042509.pdf

Old 04-25-2009, 07:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm interested in learning what they are able to determine with their investation.

One reason older people might not be getting it is because they did vacinate for swine flu back after the Fort Dix outbreak in the late 70s. The elderly cashier at my drug store received that swine flu vacination. Since the this new strain has the EXACT swine flu strain, maybe that's keeping elderly from catching it since the elderly are also vaccinated for the human flu every year.

Another likely scenario is the fact the more young and elderly receive the human flu vacinations each year. Maybe it's possible that the transmitting part of this strain is the human virus part and those vacinations protect transmission.
The young and healthy are the typical victims of pandemics. The very young and old, typical victims of normal seasonal flu seem to survive pandemics better.

This is what happens to the system of healthy people 25-45 who are victims of pandemics:
Cytokine storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm not happy to hear that since I'm within the "young and healthy" age range, but I'm in a high risk group for flu complications.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Well, it's in Kansas now too.
http://www.kdheks.gov/swineflu/09-060%20Swine%20Flu%20News%20Release.pdf (broken link)

Luckily it looks like the patients didn't get too sick. Maybe it'll just spread like crazy but not be too severe for most people who get proper treatment? At least I hope so, 'cause it looks like containment is not going to happen.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I always carry hand sanitizer in my purse in the event of a pandemic.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Just add a surgical mask to that and you'll be all set!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness