Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Interesting how many people like to point the finger at Mexico. You should all be blaming yourselves. The truth is that this flu comes from the livestock industry and the shameful way we treat animals and workers.

This article does a great job of explaining and everyone should read it:
Mike Davis: The swine flu crisis lays bare the meat industry's monstrous power | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Another great article, this one about Smithfield Farms gives a sense of how pig farms become breeding grounds for disease.
Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is _also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters/1 - broken link)

As a side note, be on the lookout for the name of this flu to change soon under pressure from the meat industry!
Why did I know that a tree huger would make a connection to some sort of abuse;aniumal rights;or pollution. Great medical and scientfic propoganda rags there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have other issues myself. The problem with this flu is that nobody in the population has an immunity to it. With normal flues, a percentage of the population already has an immunity from previous infections and many others from immunizations. This flu is totally new so there is no immunity from previous infections and no immunizations available. I'm in a high risk group. I can die from a normal flu. And there are a lot of people like me in the population too. You are being outright rude to people who have a legitimate reason for being concerned.
How do we know that no one has imunity? Scientist now say that people during the balck pleague had imunity from two identiacl genes. They also beleive that some people with this same twin gene are imune to aids vrus. There was a case of a gay man who lied in california and all his partners died over a period of years from it. he moved to the east coast to be near family when he thought he would get it and die, But he never did and then fialy reported it to a study groups. That is what they found and beleive is the reason he never got it when exposed numerous tmes. So we really don't know.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Texdav- Hopes said there's no immunity from previous infection, not that there will be no natural immunity. I think there will be a few who have natural immunity, and it might be the key to finding a vaccine, but it will probably take quite a while. I am pretty worried about this whole thing, but I don't think the sky is falling like the media would have us believe.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why did I know that a tree huger would make a connection to some sort of abuse;aniumal rights;or pollution. Great medical and scientfic propoganda rags there.
Also pretty soon are going to say, this is another excuse to be vegetarian. (You cant get the flu by eating pork.)

Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted carolina_guy. Due to your educational and work background, you know and understand more about the flu than most members on City-data.
What is carolina_guy's education and work background?

My husband works in healthcare (research), and he's definitely not into any kind of panic mode over H1N1.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
What is carolina_guy's education and work background?

My husband works in healthcare (research), and he's definitely not into any kind of panic mode over H1N1.
Biochemistry and I work in state public health. Consider me on the inside.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times
I 'm not in a panic either doesn't help. I was just on the TV thread for American Idol and the subject turned to the flu. Someone from Texas the Forth Worth area said they closed the whole Forth Worth school district. unltil like May 11. Now if this keeps going I will say that schools should consider ending school early. Kids are so good at licking hands and coughing on each other. In one day they touch so many things and for sure the preschools and daycares. Kids can pass germs like no other.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd rather hug trees than people, at least trees won't give me the flu!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'm sorry if I came off like I had my panties in a wad...lol...I just wasn't sure what you were disagreeing with. The way the SNS is set up, antivirals will only be dispersed on a necessary basis. That's why you will not be able to get a prescription for prophylaxis. Even vendors supplying the antivirals are limiting orders to pharmacies so to ration the commercial supply. The reason why they would only be prescribing suspect/probable and confirmed cases is to ensure the antivirals are given to those who need it most.

No apology necessary. You're right about limited orders. The way I understand it is that the pharmacies can order as often as they wish, but each order (at least in our area) is limited to 10 or 11 packets. It's surprising how expensive it is for the consumer.

I just looked up some info on the SNS. What the pharmacies are providing are supplies that are routinely provided by the pharmecutical companies. Supplies are still available, but in limited amounts at the moment. The pharmacy I visited can only obtain 10-11 packets each time they order, but they can order as often as is needed. If demand is high and supplies are low, I would guess the pharmecutical companies can limit supplies to provide more to areas of greater need, which is probably why pharmacies in some areas can only obtain smaller quantities at a time.

The SNS is a whole different arrangement of supplies stockpiled and held by the government for emergencies. The SNS has its own plans for distribution. While pharmacies can charge for medicines, medicine and medical supplies from the SNS are suppose to be free for everyone who needs it during an emergency.

CDC | Strategic National Stockpile (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/stockpile/ - broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Default Maybe the real origins of the swine flu?

Good read. Swine Flu Smoking Gun? CDC was Combining Flu Viruses in 2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness