Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Do you think the 'normal' range of readings for blood pressure keeps getting lowered because of new medical findings or because pharma companies can sell more blood pressure lowering medications when the normal range is lowered??

For example, a few years back, a reading of 139/89 was considered 'high normal' now this same reading has been reclassified as 'pre-hypertensive'--which sounds scary.

I read that our blood pressure readings naturally rise as one ages, but it seems the health care providers are saying we should all have the same blood pressure range whether we're 20 or 80...that sounds strange to me, logically...

Would love to hear your thoughts, especially and health care professionals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you think the 'normal' range of readings for blood pressure keeps getting lowered because of new medical findings or because pharma companies can sell more blood pressure lowering medications when the normal range is lowered??

For example, a few years back, a reading of 139/89 was considered 'high normal' now this same reading has been reclassified as 'pre-hypertensive'--which sounds scary.

I read that our blood pressure readings naturally rise as one ages, but it seems the health care providers are saying we should all have the same blood pressure range whether we're 20 or 80...that sounds strange to me, logically...

I imagine our blood pressure rises with age because as we age, we develop conditions. For example, good blood pressure for my grandmother is between 140 and 170 systolic. I think her diastolic is normally between 70-90. Now, this doesn't mean it's good, rather good for her given her situation. It's high because she has a clot in her leg (small), type II diabetes, and kidney problems. All of these conditions can lead to high blood pressure. And she will probably die from one of the above via a heart attack or stroke. She's 91 btw so...she's doing ok. If your pressure is high or getting there, something is wrong but it's inevitable.

As far as conspiracies go with pharma, I wouldn't be concerned with such claims. For the bulk of scientific research to support normal ranges in the name of pharma dollars, it would have to be a global conspiracy involving all western govs, universities, institutes and scientists. That's unlikely.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
All my life, I have had LOW BP.. Every doctor I have ever had, has went and got another BP cup, thinking the current one was broken. Now, suddenly my lifelong low BP is considered "normal"!

I think some of the stuff is being lowered abnormally to make patients out of more of us. I don't believe in the un-naturally low cholesterol levels they expect everybody to have because everytime mine gets in the 220's I am at the doctors because something is WRONG, yet they can't find anything wrong. I eat some fried chicken and I feel 100% better..

Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
I would say it is how "you" feel and how it affects your body. As each of us are different. some people can have sky high BP and not be bothered and others a lower BP and are bothered by it.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
nope ---have several dead friends that felt it appopriate to ignore high blood pressure as well as regular medical checkups.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
High blood pressure is not fun and hard to ignore if you have. The problem with high BP over prolonged period of time enlarges your heart. High BP can be treated w/out drugs by changing your diet, exercise and certain herbs.

Cholesterol is a huge scam perpetrated by big pharma. Having overall high cholesterol is fine. Ideally you want much higher HDL though.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
At 54 with historically low blood pressure (105/60), not overweight, smoker, no family history of it, I developed high blood pressure last Fall. First symptom was fatigue, went to the Dr. and pegged at 220/140. Returned the next week, after monitoring at work with no real change, and was put on medication. My diet was not a high blood pressure diet so not much to change there, am walking more. A few days after starting the meds I felt immediately better.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head LD! That is EXACTLY what they are doing. They are also coming up with new diseases and disorders to give doctors excuses to put people on drugs for those! Look at how many kids are drugged out on Ritalin! ADD and ADHD was never an issue when I was in school. People had it but they managed other ways -- without the use of drugs. Selling more and more drugs and using more and more chemicals in food production -- even to the point of making it a crime if they aren't used is all part of the New World Order Elites plan to control and dominate the world. President Obama is their puppet -- all part of the grand plan.

All the Big Pharma and Big Agra companies are menbers of Codex Alimentarius which gives these companies strategies of ways they can increase their sales and bottom lines by using their lobbying power to change laws to require the use of more chemicals and drugs BY LAW ie HR875 proposed now could lead to criminalizing organic farming.

If you go to the Codex Alimentarius website CODEX ALIMENTARIUS
and although they say they are all about "safety" if you know the earlier standards and see what their "official standards" now recommend, you can see that they propose INCREASING the amount of pesticides used etc etc. They are also the group that wants to take away our access to natural food supplements.

The Natural Solutions Foundation is a great watch dog group of what is going on globally as far as all this is concerned. and can explain what Codex Alimentarius is all about. Their website is www.healthfreedomusa.org.

Also if you are interested in watching what I feel is one of the best most important movies I have ever watched because it certainly explains why things are the way they are and have evolved to where they are, watch this 1.5 hour documentary "Zeitgeist" at this website www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-03-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Heart Disease is a "new" disease. There was no heart disease until the 1900s.
History of the Heart - The Human Heart: An Online Exploration from The Franklin Institute, made possible by Unisys

Another example of a "new disease" they have come up with is ACID REFLUX DISEASE. How many people are paying big bucks for prescriptions for this when little do they know that they could instead be taking apple cider vinegar before their meals or in a salad with their meals, or when they are having acid reflux, or just not over eat or eat too fast or too much too late at night and the "disease" will go away?

Doctors who practice western medicine who were taught allopathic mediine know nothing about underlying causes and curing anything. Allopathy is all about treating symptoms with drugs because you can sell a lot more drugs if you are only masking symptoms because as soon as the person stops taking the drug, the symptom returns. Nobody is made any healthier by taking the drug. In fact their health may have worsened due to the long term side effects of the drug.

Unfortunately most Americans think their medical doctor knows EVERYTHING there is to know about health . Yet if the truth be told, their doctor has probably not had any training in health. Rather all of the training is about treating and living with diseases. Remember for so long they (the medical establishment through the media) said it was ok to eat everything in moderation? Now they are finally admitting that all sorts of things aren't good for your health and certain foods like Dairy products actually contribute to increased incidences of various types of cancer etc.

There is an organization of Medical Doctors who actually have taken the time to study the relationship between diet and disease called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine www.pcrm.org and at their site you can look up studies that show how various types of food impact your health.

Another thing that is disturbing is that if you can imagine, there is actually an appetite stimulant in artificial no calorie sweeteners along with all the harmful chemicals. Think of all those people using it to try to keep their calories down that can't because it makes them hungrier! Yet the FDA allows it to be marketed but the FDA won't allow a perfectly harmless 100% natural alternative called Stevia to be marketed in grocery stores along with Sweet n' Low and Splenda because their manufacturers are afraid people would stop buying their sweeteners once they tried Stevia and realized it had no ill health effects and actually was GOOD for their health as it stabilizes blood sugar. See how the FDA is more about helping BIG Pharma and BIG Agra than about helping the American citizen? Look at this short video
YouTube - The Dangers of Aspartame (Artificial Sweeteners Sugarfree Diet Coke Zero No Sugar Added E951)

Even the so-called objective non profit groups like the American Diabetes Assn, because Monsanto supports them I guess, doesn't warn against eating these sweeteners. Here's what they say about them on their website Sweets and Desserts (http://www.diabetes.org/food-nutrition-lifestyle/nutrition/meal-planning/sweeteners-desserts.jsp - broken link) . Can you imagine? The American Cancer Society is the same way recommending regular mammograms when mammograms have 1000 times the radiation of a chest x-ray and do more to cause cancer than to detect it. If the American Cancer society cared about helping women avoid breast cancer, the last thing they'd be doing is recommending mammorgams ESPECIALLY when thermograms are available; 100% safe and more reliable in detecting abnormal cells!

I could go on and on and on. You always have to be on-guard these days. Read labels. Do your homework and just don't blindly trust your medical doctor and run and do what he says. Remember the very narrow allopathic training the medical doctor has received which is limited to drugs and surgery. Don't expect your medical doctor to know about natural supplements. The pharmacist would be better to help you with that but even better would be the N.D or N.M.D the naturopathic doctor who IS trained in health. Dr Michael Murray is probably one of the more famous Naturopathic Doctors Dr. Murray

Sorry for going on for so long but it really pains me to see us being lied to the way we are all in the name of money -- even when the lies can damage our health! I think that is crossing the line. It is one thing to pay too much for a TV set but to be told drugs and food is safe and that safe natural supplements aren't safe just to make money off of us when the long term result could be we develop some serious chronic health problem is just going too far!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
High blood pressure is not fun and hard to ignore if you have. The problem with high BP over prolonged period of time enlarges your heart. High BP can be treated w/out drugs by changing your diet, exercise and certain herbs.
A good common sense answer as i'm sure on one hand that the allopathic's want more people to take high blood pressure meds and on the other side of the coin is that high blood pressure is not something to take lightly whether doctors want you to take meds or not as heart enlargement and cerebral aneurysm are strong consequences if left unchecked.

Those of us who've been in the muscle and fitness industry over the years know that vigorious exercise and a ''clean'' diet will work wonders for this as you don't need medicines or tons of supplements either except for genetic or extreme cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness