Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 76,557 times

Advertisements

I have looked at many websites, tons of medical information for the last 3-4 hours, and the main symyptoms i have shown, albiet they seem to me that they are such broad symptoms that i could just have some type of flu.
I was hoping someone might know whether i need to seek medical attention immediately or if i'm just over reacting;
On saturday night I was placed under arrest in anson county, north carolina for a driving without a valid state ID. I was on my way back from Myrtle beach, and had sandals on, and of course no socks. I was in a cell for a little over ten hours (12 pm-10am) the cell was obviously disgusting, trash on the floor, cups on the railing, urinal area was absolutely disgustin with what i presumed to be pee on the floor around it (needless to say, i held it till i got out). By sunday afternoon I had started to develop a cold; sweating, then shivering, and very dizzy and light headed. Monday I still had those symptoms, but they had not progressed so i didnt assume anything more than a cold. Today, tuesday may 5th I woke up feeling worse than i ddi the previous two days, but yet nothign more than cold sweats, and dizzyness which had seemed to get worse. About 4 hours ago, as i was sitting down i felt a sharp, but lingering blunt pain in my 3rd toe. There was what looked like a whitehead pimple in between my toes (which has never happened, and i dont even know if thats possible) i decided to pop it after several hours of increasing discomfort, and having to limp to keep pressure off of it. It now has become dull with pain almost like i severly stubbed it, has turned red and is warm to the touch. I normally wouldnt give this a moment of my time, but i recalled hearing about a recent case in NC in which a man had contracted MRSA in a hospital. upon researching i found it is very common in jails as well.

The actual sore is small compared to the pictures i have been able to fine, but within the course of 6 hours it has rapidly developed into discomfort and numbness in my toe.

Am i just overreacting??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Have you used any sort of antiseptic or antibiotic on the area? Like - poured hydrogen peroxide on the area?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyarmandocerra View Post
I have looked at many websites, tons of medical information for the last 3-4 hours, and the main symyptoms i have shown, albiet they seem to me that they are such broad symptoms that i could just have some type of flu.
I was hoping someone might know whether i need to seek medical attention immediately or if i'm just over reacting;
On saturday night I was placed under arrest in anson county, north carolina for a driving without a valid state ID. I was on my way back from Myrtle beach, and had sandals on, and of course no socks. I was in a cell for a little over ten hours (12 pm-10am) the cell was obviously disgusting, trash on the floor, cups on the railing, urinal area was absolutely disgustin with what i presumed to be pee on the floor around it (needless to say, i held it till i got out). By sunday afternoon I had started to develop a cold; sweating, then shivering, and very dizzy and light headed. Monday I still had those symptoms, but they had not progressed so i didnt assume anything more than a cold. Today, tuesday may 5th I woke up feeling worse than i ddi the previous two days, but yet nothign more than cold sweats, and dizzyness which had seemed to get worse. About 4 hours ago, as i was sitting down i felt a sharp, but lingering blunt pain in my 3rd toe. There was what looked like a whitehead pimple in between my toes (which has never happened, and i dont even know if thats possible) i decided to pop it after several hours of increasing discomfort, and having to limp to keep pressure off of it. It now has become dull with pain almost like i severly stubbed it, has turned red and is warm to the touch. I normally wouldnt give this a moment of my time, but i recalled hearing about a recent case in NC in which a man had contracted MRSA in a hospital. upon researching i found it is very common in jails as well.

The actual sore is small compared to the pictures i have been able to fine, but within the course of 6 hours it has rapidly developed into discomfort and numbness in my toe.

Am i just overreacting??
Well, don't panic - but don't assume it's MRSA either - you are just as likely to have been biten by something.

Not a medical professional, but I do think unless you are having difficulty breathing and a very high (over 103) fever, you would be okay to wait until the morning to call your doctor for an appt. If your ARE having any difficulty breathing or high fever head to the ER okay?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM

172 posts, read 465,606 times
I would seek medical attention since you have numbness. Better safe than sorry..let them decide.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM

I havent used anything besides soap and water, but I do plan on calling a physician first thing tomorrow. I dont have any hydrogen peroxide either.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way, I spent a good deal of time trying to find a medical forum with no luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I havent used anything besides soap and water, but I do plan on calling a physician first thing tomorrow. I dont have any hydrogen peroxide either.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way, I spent a good deal of time trying to find a medical forum with no luck.
Is the numbness spreading or staying in the toe? And how much of a temp do you have?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM

It started as just the pain at the spot of the blister/pimple/puss was, but after pushing out the fluid , it soon became numb all throughout the toe, not just at the tip were the infection spot manifested into a visible build up of fluid. However, it seems not to have gone past the base of my toe, after initially rapidly developing into complete numbness of just that toe. which is what made me become a little concerned that it isnt normal. I'm sure its happened to people, but i dont know what would cause the spot of an infection, once pressure caused by the fluid was released, to spread numbness throughout the appendage within literally 30 mins.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It started as just the pain at the spot of the blister/pimple/puss was, but after pushing out the fluid , it soon became numb all throughout the toe, not just at the tip were the infection spot manifested into a visible build up of fluid. However, it seems not to have gone past the base of my toe, after initially rapidly developing into complete numbness of just that toe. which is what made me become a little concerned that it isnt normal. I'm sure its happened to people, but i dont know what would cause the spot of an infection, once pressure caused by the fluid was released, to spread numbness throughout the appendage within literally 30 mins.
Read up on spider bites while you are doing your research - that's a real possibility in NC - in particular the brown recluse.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 AM

186 posts, read 604,372 times
This is most likely NOT a brown recluse spider bite, regardless of the internet frear mongering, browns rarely bite, and when they do it's less than 1% that have a reaction.

It does sound like a cellulitis vs abscess. Warm compresses will help, but you need to get in to see your doctor ASAP (especially if you have diabetes or other medical problems.

If your MD cant see you, head to the local urgent care office. Do a web search for boils, and warm compress 4x/day.

Lastly DO NOT try to sqeeze the pus out, this will only spread infection. Keep your hands clean and do as I noted above.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Definitly *could* be MRSA. I would go to your doc ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness