U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,370,927 times

Advertisements

What would you do in this situation? Do you agree with the Judge or the family?

*Several Excerpts*

Daniel Hauser doesn’t think he’s sick, and he thinks chemotherapy will kill him. The 13-year-old with Hodgkin’s lymphoma told a judge he got so ill he couldn’t walk the one time he got the treatment. The boy’s parents opted for “alternative medicines,” citing their religious beliefs, even though doctors said he would almost certainly die without chemotherapy.

The judge wrote that Daniel has only a “rudimentary understanding at best of the risks and benefits of chemotherapy. ... he does not believe he is ill currently. The fact is that he is very ill currently.” In his ruling, Rodenberg noted that at age 13, Daniel can’t read. “He lacks the ability to give informed consent to medical procedures,” Rodenberg said.

Doctors have said Daniel’s cancer had a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent. She (His Mother) has been treating his cancer with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water, and other natural alternatives she learned about on the Internet — despite testimony from five doctors who agreed Daniel needed chemotherapy.

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,161,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

*Several Excerpts*

Daniel Hauser doesn’t think he’s sick, and he thinks chemotherapy will kill him. The 13-year-old with Hodgkin’s lymphoma told a judge he got so ill he couldn’t walk the one time he got the treatment. The boy’s parents opted for “alternative medicines,” citing their religious beliefs, even though doctors said he would almost certainly die without chemotherapy.

The judge wrote that Daniel has only a “rudimentary understanding at best of the risks and benefits of chemotherapy. ... he does not believe he is ill currently. The fact is that he is very ill currently.” In his ruling, Rodenberg noted that at age 13, Daniel can’t read. “He lacks the ability to give informed consent to medical procedures,” Rodenberg said.

Doctors have said Daniel’s cancer had a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent. She (His Mother) has been treating his cancer with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water, and other natural alternatives she learned about on the Internet — despite testimony from five doctors who agreed Daniel needed chemotherapy.

By law the parents can't take away life saving procedures.
In this country parents can't deny life saving procedures to their child even if it conflicts with their religion or are against it.
I learned that my first semester in medical school.

I agree with the Judge, the child is not old enough to make decision and their parent don't have to right to force their beliefs on the child.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,087,452 times
Definitly the judge.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I think there's something more up they aren't releasing based on the fact the kid is illiterate and is utterly convinced he's completely healthy...plus the fact the mother just skipped town and has a warrant out now for her arrest.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think there's something more up they aren't releasing based on the fact the kid is illiterate and is utterly convinced he's completely healthy...plus the fact the mother just skipped town and has a warrant out now for her arrest.
Yes, heard that right now on Fox News (the real news,), they didn't go for treatment like the judged order, so the judge order an arrest warrant.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,529,452 times
Terrible story and I hate seeing kids suffer with cancer.

Radiation has cured no one of cancer. Water and vitamins are more likely to cure cancer then radiation is.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Terrible story and I hate seeing kids suffer with cancer.

Radiation has cured no one of cancer. Water and vitamins are more likely to cure cancer then radiation is.
Again.
You are extremely ignorant, chemotherapy is not radiation.
LOL
Also chemotherapy has cure millions with hardcore data to back it up.
While vitamins doesn't even have one case.
Again, no evidence just pure bull..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM

I would kind of like to see where chemo has never cured anyone, there's more then enough clinical evidence that it does. It's like taking a howitzer to get rid of the tree stump, but it works.

Given the fact that is what she's treating him with and he's dying, it's pretty blatant evidence right there.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,800,405 times
Quote:

Doctors have said Daniel’s cancer had a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation.
I wonder if they would be willing to put this in writing. Personally, I stand behind the parents' rights to choose what is the best treatment for their children. I do not agree with the parent's religion but the possibility always exists that they *could* be right (as right as ANY RELIGION) and what if the AMA risks eternal damnation for the soul of that child because they "decided" for him? Who has the right to do that?

The parents should have kept the treatment scenario to themselves. No doubt some "well-meaning" busy body thought that they needed to inform the authorities about his situation. Once you let other people know about your personal business you are just asking for trouble. If I were them, I'd just move as far away as possible and keep my mouth shut about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM

21 posts, read 66,839 times
Quote:

*Several Excerpts*

I feel this is strictly up to the parents. Why does the Judge have to intervere? Where is personal choice these days? This is supposed to be the land of liberty not a place where Nazi Germany rules and dictates what people can and cannot do.

I am a survivor of cancer myself. Thankfully it was just 1st Stage and my doctor got it all when I had my hysterectomy. Some people choose to have chemo and others don't.

This is call freedom or religion and freedom of choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness