U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

55 posts, read 255,418 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there other them me feel like most doctors belittle you when you go to see them. It seems to me everytime I'm at the doctors office he tells (not asks me but tells me) that I need this done or I need that done NOW, and I'm really getting fed up with these people(the doctors) acting like they are some kind of gods. They make me feel like I'm a criminal and its starting to pi$$ me off.
I'm I the only one who feels this way OR is it just me and I should chill out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 38,538,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
Does anyone out there other them me feel like most doctors belittle you when you go to see them. It seems to me everytime I'm at the doctors office he tells (not asks me but tells me) that I need this done or I need that done NOW, and I'm really getting fed up with these people(the doctors) acting like they are some kind of gods. They make me feel like I'm a criminal and its starting to pi$$ me off.
LOL.....i can't wait to see the responses pro and con on this thread .

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,862,249 times
Quote:
I feel the same way and seldom go to doctors anymore. Most of what I've gone to doctors for in my life, they couldn't really help me with anyway. Now, if it's a clear cut situation where I know they can do something for me, for instance, remove a fishhook from my toe, I go. Otherwise I stay away from them.

They do act like gods, and part of the reason for that is that most people treat them like they're gods. Most people also seem to see doctors as some sort of authority figure in their lives and obediently do whatever the doctors tell them to do.

I injured a rib recently, it might be cracked or it might just be a cartilage injury. Since there's no real treatment for a cracked rib anyway, I did not go to a doctor. My neighbor was practically gasping from shock when I told him this. He is an elderly man who goes to doctors constantly, has all sorts of tests done, had part of his prostate removed recently because he was bleeding. Now two months later he's still bleeding, still in pain. He's got a growth on his pancreas, one doctor tells him it's cancer, another says it isn't malignant. Now it's shrinking on its own anyway.

I hope when I'm old I am able to just live out my remaining years in peace and not be some sort of cash cow for the medical industry.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM

39 posts, read 53,733 times
An old saying "Doctors bury their mistakes! " So far I have been lucky my doctor actually likes me and does not prescribe anything with out listening to me first. I am beginning to see more and more of take a number.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,555,156 times
go on self-diagnose, self-prescription and self-medication and the come back to tell us all (if you're still alive)

Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,172,694 times
Quote:
If you don't like your doctor, just go to another doctor.
If you don't like any doctor then why visit your doctor.
You visit the doctor for their knowledge and advise, but then you don't like their knowledge and advise, so don't go.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,172,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
go on self-diagnose, self-prescription and self-medication and the come back to tell us all (if you're still alive)

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 21,365,041 times
I don't go to doctors. When my time comes, I'll take matters into my own hands.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,519,790 times
I typically avoid the doctor... first, because I don't need any bandaids, and that's what doctors seem to like to give out. Secondly, because every time I go for myself or the kids, we catch some virus in the waiting room... you go for a "well visit" and end up sick. No thanks!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,391,858 times
I've never had a doctor do that, about the closest was my doc that would try and write out scripts for everything in suppository form to keep me on my toes. I had one issue where I needed surgery quickly, and my doc made sure if it got worse in any way I got to an ER...and made sure to communicate in no uncertain terms if I didn't I would be in the ground. I appreciate that honestly, more so then the pharmacist giving me weird looks.

I do work with docs, and I can say that the number of people who don't follow doctors orders after major cardiac episodes is about 66% (our report of 2/3 HFMA May Study)...for smaller things it's dramatically lower. Many docs try and communicate in strong enough terms that you need to do XYZ in order to get healthy and stay healthy, knowing that many blow it off, and if it needs to be done now I think he/she was very concerned for you.

There are certainly jerks in every profession in every place, that's humanity for you...there are jerks, you can go to another doc. However, if it's your thoughts every doctor is a jerk everywhere you've been...the only common denominator in that thought is you...you might want to evaluate how you come across as well. It's certainly your option to do what you want and stop seeing any of them, but you're going to get yourself in trouble and it will be your own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness