Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,931,818 times

Advertisements

I dislocated my shoulder last night when I slipped after a shower. I was taken to ER and in such pain. There was 1 Doctor on and was told he was very busy with other patients. Should I have had to wait 2-3 hrs to get meds? This was at 11:45 PM when it happened. I couldn't move my arm and when I tried, it hurt bad. I thought I was going to pass out.

Finally a DR. came in and I was given Meds, X rays and a Cat scan was done following all between 3am and 8am when the Orthopedic Dr came in at 8am. He checked it out and told me the possibilities. At that moment, he was checking my arm, he pulled it and it went back, I heard the pop and felt much better. So now my arm is in a sling, not sure how long but I have to call the DR tomorrow. I am just taking Advil for now. I was up all night so I am very tired now.

Any comments, feedback? Should someone have to wait that long in ER to get some relief? Its just sore now, how long do you think I need to have the sling on? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,198,271 times
My sympathies. My father had a shoulder that was dislocated when he was young, and he had trouble with it for most of the rest of his life. It would dislocate unexpectedly and the pain was excruciating. He had one surgery in the early 80s, then 10 or 12 years later, the shoulder started dislocating again and he had a second surgery.

I don't think that your long wait in the ER was uncommon--they'd be seeing to life threatening conditions ahead of you, I guess.

Good luck, and I hope you've got insurance.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I dislocated my shoulder last night when I slipped after a shower. I was taken to ER and in such pain. There was 1 Doctor on and was told he was very busy with other patients. Should I have had to wait 2-3 hrs to get meds? This was at 11:45 PM when it happened. I couldn't move my arm and when I tried, it hurt bad. I thought I was going to pass out.

Finally a DR. came in and I was given Meds, X rays and a Cat scan was done following all between 3am and 8am when the Orthopedic Dr came in at 8am. He checked it out and told me the possibilities. At that moment, he was checking my arm, he pulled it and it went back, I heard the pop and felt much better. So now my arm is in a sling, not sure how long but I have to call the DR tomorrow. I am just taking Advil for now. I was up all night so I am very tired now.

Any comments, feedback? Should someone have to wait that long in ER to get some relief? Its just sore now, how long do you think I need to have the sling on? Thanks in advance.
what did the doc say about the X-rays?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM

9,210 posts, read 10,973,608 times
I did mine around 1993, slipped on some ice and did a 1 and a half gainer and landed directly on my R shoulder. Better than my head.

It hurt and I couldn't use it.

I went to the ER and IIRC they drugged me up, took X-rays, I was sent to a room and met a doc (rather attractive lady who I may have tried to hit on, given my somewhat woozy condition), then I came to a while later and wondered when they were going to get to me.
They had jerked it back into place, I was apparently in blackout from the meds. Had to get a couple of friends to drive me and drive my car home.
Ouch.

My followup doc (unfortunately not the ER doc) said I had 50/50 odds that it would not heal right and that I would have trouble with it later.
It did heal (knock knock) and it hasn't popped out or done anything else weird since then.

Definitely an experience I DO NOT recommend.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
what did the doc say about the X-rays?
The doc had a problem with the first X-rays since it was posterior (rear)so he couldn't get the correct view. They did a cat scan which helped. After he popped it in place, more Xrays which showed it in correct position.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,584,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post

Well, in the ER, they triage. They take patients with more serious or life-threatening emergencies first. It's not exactly first come, first serve.
And memorial Day weekend is a big weekend for accidents- lots of drinking and craziness.

They may not have taken your pain into consideration. They probably just figured, "Oh well, shoulder injury, no bleeding. He can wait all night if he has to."

Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
I had this injury to teh shouder but evn more actually. i had to wait about 4 hours and never actually took any pain killers. By the time i got to the hospital it looked like I was wearing shoulder pads with the swelling. But its wasn't the worse pain I ever had.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I did mine around 1993, slipped on some ice and did a 1 and a half gainer and landed directly on my R shoulder. Better than my head.

It hurt and I couldn't use it.

I went to the ER and IIRC they drugged me up, took X-rays, I was sent to a room and met a doc (rather attractive lady who I may have tried to hit on, given my somewhat woozy condition), then I came to a while later and wondered when they were going to get to me.
They had jerked it back into place, I was apparently in blackout from the meds. Had to get a couple of friends to drive me and drive my car home.
Ouch.

My followup doc (unfortunately not the ER doc) said I had 50/50 odds that it would not heal right and that I would have trouble with it later.
It did heal (knock knock) and it hasn't popped out or done anything else weird since then.

Definitely an experience I DO NOT recommend.
How long did you keep it in the sling, before moving it, and stop taking anti-inflammatories?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,549,961 times
I have had to do to the ER twice from work and both times were LONG, LONG waits. It takes a good 12 hours to even see a doctor in a ER.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM

479 posts, read 1,450,954 times
My daughter dislocated her shoulder as a teenager, the first time at the skating rink. I was called and the drive to the ER was excruciating for her. She was in a sling for several weeks, then had to have physical therapy. But, she continued to get the dislocations whenever she moved her arm a certain way and always had trips to the ER. They finally decided her muscles were so torn they had to do surgery. She hasn't had a dislocation since, but she's so afraid of it that she won't get in more than chest-deep water because it some times feels like it's going to come out again.

So...make sure you do the physical therapy and do it religiously and hopefully you didn't tear the muscles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness