Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Just gettin' older, probably.
It's normal. My cycles have gotten even shorter than this since I entered my 30s.
24-25 days is still within the realm of "normal".
Yep, I didn't have regular periods until I was 23 and then it was 31 day cycle.
Dropped to 28 days in my early 40s and now, in my late 40s it's 25 days.
My periods are also shorter-used to be 6-7 days and now 3-4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
My period lasts 3 days. Since I stopped using commercial menstrual products (which contain dioxins) I have had shorter and less painful periods. Do your research on the products you use. Dioxins actually cause you to bleed more, which is great for that company because then you'll buy more product.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 60,240 times
i'm only 17 and my cycle has been shorter for the past 3 months. the first month (November) i was 9 days earlier then usual, the second (december) i was 6 days early. I started my period today and its now 4 days early. it's strange as I havent ever been earlier then 1 day or later then 1 day even when i first started my period aged 12 or 13 i only missed one period (my second expected period) I have been regular ever since

Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK old thread but I'll mention this in case anyone else is wondering. Since I think my late 30's I've been on a 21 day cycle with period lasting about 8 days. Now I'm 52 and still regular, though I've lengthened it to 26 days with the use of vitex and the reason I have a short cycle is because of fibroids. Many (most?) women can have these and have no symptoms, but if you start having a shorter cycle, it's one thing to look into.

I'm looking into trying a natural remedy that I'm hoping helps: I'm strengthening my liver with milk thistle extract, and trying pancreatic enzymes, b/c they're supposed to break down the walls of the tumors, though you have to take them on an empty stomach. I'll check back in here if I experience any success or notable failure.
vitex=fail pancreatic enzymes=fail
Now I'm hoping that losing weight might help.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaHoffman View Post
i'm only 17 and my cycle has been shorter for the past 3 months. the first month (November) i was 9 days earlier then usual, the second (december) i was 6 days early. I started my period today and its now 4 days early. it's strange as I havent ever been earlier then 1 day or later then 1 day even when i first started my period aged 12 or 13 i only missed one period (my second expected period) I have been regular ever since
I'm in my 40's and i don't think i've ever menstruated like clock work although i can't even remember that far back.
I think that i started to take note of my cycles in my 30's.
I think that if you're within a reasonable range, it's o.k. but that's a totally unprofessional opinion.
You're so young though that i imagine your hormones are still in a time of change but i don't know.
Some would tell you to go to the doctor but i'm not one of them.
Gotta go with your gut on that one and if you're really worried about it then seeing someone wouldn't hurt.
Anything that you can do to optimize your overall health at a young age will serve you well throughout your life.
So if you don't exercise regularly start to.
Eat a healthy and balanced diet with as little (ideally none) processed food, sugar and caffeine and avoid meat and poultry that isn't organic or naturally raised, ie; free of additives and hormones, and use body products (shampoo, lotions, soaps, etc.) that are natural and are at least paraben and phthalate free.
Living in cities and constantly breathing bad air (like exhaust from vehicles) interferes with hormones ... not much you can do about that if you're an urban dweller except to get a good air purifier so that at least your home is as non-toxic as possible.
The healthier the life "style" the happier the whole body and the happier the endocrine system.
And learn now how not to stress.
Love your adrenals.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
vitex=fail pancreatic enzymes=fail
Now I'm hoping that losing weight might help.
Are you open to acupuncture?
If you can find a good and experienced (for me that means at least 15 years of practice) acupuncturist who specializes in treating womens issues, it may be worth it.
The combination of acupuncture and a Chinese herbal approach might be very helpful.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Go to a gynecologist and see if it's something, or nothiing. Many young women are put on birth control pills to regulate them.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Go to a gynecologist and see if it's something, or nothiing. Many young women are put on birth control pills to regulate them.
And this is why i'd say do not go to a gyno.
We're not machines and everyone doesn't run like clock work.
The body has it's own wisdom and, generally speaking, if we support it it balances and regulates itself.
Interfering with the endocrine system in such a way is very unwise imo.
Unless there's an extremely sound medical reason for using birth control pills, using them because the cycle isn't the same every month is just nuts .... especially at 17!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I'm in my 40's and i don't think i've ever menstruated like clock work although i can't even remember that far back.
I think that i started to take note of my cycles in my 30's.
I think that if you're within a reasonable range, it's o.k. but that's a totally unprofessional opinion.
You're so young though that i imagine your hormones are still in a time of change but i don't know.
Some would tell you to go to the doctor but i'm not one of them.
Gotta go with your gut on that one and if you're really worried about it then seeing someone wouldn't hurt.
Anything that you can do to optimize your overall health at a young age will serve you well throughout your life.
So if you don't exercise regularly start to.
Eat a healthy and balanced diet with as little (ideally none) processed food, sugar and caffeine and avoid meat and poultry that isn't organic or naturally raised, ie; free of additives and hormones, and use body products (shampoo, lotions, soaps, etc.) that are natural and are at least paraben and phthalate free.
Living in cities and constantly breathing bad air (like exhaust from vehicles) interferes with hormones ... not much you can do about that if you're an urban dweller except to get a good air purifier so that at least your home is as non-toxic as possible.
The healthier the life "style" the happier the whole body and the happier the endocrine system.
And learn now how not to stress.
Love your adrenals.
I do eat healthily, don't ever drink much caffeine especially not coffee as i'm allergic to coffee, my body products are all natural because i have terrible eczema, however what u say about living in city i live in london so it could be that. I combat stress by knitting (yes i know, not expected of someone my age) and reading.
I do think it might me going to normal because when i started yesterday it was just spotting so i might be going back to normal and start properly when i'm due. altho the spotting worried me cause i've never had spotting either

Old 01-07-2012, 02:35 PM

plus I wouldn't know how to go about seeing a gynaecologist, it's very different in England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness