Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 61,717 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend gets horrible headaches, randomly.
He says it's happened ever since he was very young. He is now 18, almost 19.
Usually all that can make it go away is a shower and some tylenol..
sometimes that doesn't even help.
He claims that it usually happens when he doesn't drink Pepsi and that drinking Pepsi is the best cure for his headaches.
I think he's crazy.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM

305 posts, read 1,233,911 times
pepsi contains caffeine...he may be getting a "caffeine" headache if he usually drinks it.............
and then misses it.......( as in skips it).

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
Im used to having caffeine by 8Am and if i sleep in really late on the weekend..
I get horrible headaches.Like ICN2U said its probably the lack of Caffeine.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Im used to having caffeine by 8Am and if i sleep in really late on the weekend..
I get horrible headaches.Like ICN2U said its probably the lack of Caffeine.
I agree that it could be this.
Is there any way to avoid it/prevent it besides not drinking Pepsi ever again (that you know of)?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Those do sound like caffeine-withdrawal headaches. Those aren't migraines. Migraines are accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sweating, sensitivity to light and noise and they essentially ruin one's life. If acetaminophen (Tylenol) and a shower sometimes help - even if those measures don't always help but sometimes do - that's not a migraine.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Those do sound like caffeine-withdrawal headaches. Those aren't migraines. Migraines are accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sweating, sensitivity to light and noise and they essentially ruin one's life. If acetaminophen (Tylenol) and a shower sometimes help - even if those measures don't always help but sometimes do - that's not a migraine.

Obviously you know much more than I do on the subject, but his headaches do usually include those symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sweating, and sensitivity to light and noise...
That's why I think it's more than just caffeine-withdrawal.
When he gets these headaches he literally can not do anything but lay in bed with his head covered up until someone else makes him get into the shower or take some Tylenol.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 55,800 times
Caffeine and sugar. Addictive. Like everyone else said. If he wants a healthy alternative, I have lots of people successfully wean off coffee or caffeinated soda with grean tea. It's got about a third the caffeine of coffee but prevents the withdrawl headaches plus it also has health benefits since it's an antioxidant. Not to mention that anything carbonated can deplete your body of calcium.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow009 View Post
Obviously you know much more than I do on the subject, but his headaches do usually include those symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sweating, and sensitivity to light and noise...
When he gets these headaches he literally can not do anything but lay in bed with his head covered up until someone else makes him get into the shower or take some Tylenol.
Then it could be a migraine. When I get my migraines, I have to lie down very still in a cool, dark, quiet place. My migraines are intensified by bright lights (especially fluorescent lighting) and loud noises, and I often vomit from them. I've been on prescription medicine (Topamax and Flexirol) for a little over a year now and it does help.

Everyone's triggers and reliefs are different. For some people, caffeine is a major trigger. For others, it helps to relieve them. I have no problem with cola after cola but one cup of coffee can give me an excruciating migraine from h***.

I suggest your boyfriend try keeping a 'headache diary' in order to track when he gets headaches-what types of food he's eaten, what liquids he's drank, other circumstances that may help to define what may have brought the headache on and what may help to alleviate it. It sounds like a pain and alot of work but it'll help in the long run.

On a side note, many over the counter migraine pills (Excedrin Migraine for one) contain caffeine.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow009 View Post
One of the worst days of my life was the first day of vacation during the summer of 2007. I woke up, and was off my routine (I was a big time soda drinker). Had no caffeine all day, and at 7pm that night on the way to a restaurant, the worst headache of my entire life began. My poor husband thought I was dying - shaky, clammy, nauseous. I made him turn off the radio, and SPEED (in a tourist trap area) the entire way back to the hotel, where I proceeded to be carried in, laid in bed with a cool washcloth covering my eyes, with all the lights turned off. He had to close the blinds (oh how I love how dark hotel rooms can get), and read outside because I wouldn't even let him turn the TV on.

Keep in mind - I was NOT a coffee drinker, only the occassional cup of cappucino when we were out. This can definitely happen with just soda.

Caffeine withdrawal can be THAT debilitating. As a result, my husband and I went cold turkey and quit caffeine entirely (and his migraine was even worse than mine, and I swear I was crying that night). We ended up finding out later on that he was actually ALLERGIC to caffeine - if he has even the smallest dose, he gets heart palpitations.

This sounds exactly like what your boyfriend is going though, best to take it seriously, and I would highly advise he quit caffeine. The only annoying thing for us is that we can't order rum and cokes when out to dinner anymore, since I have yet to find a bar with caffeine free diet soda, but there's plenty of other carbonated beverages he can choose to drink (sprite being one).

Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
My doctor says that caffeine is the best thing for a migraine and that the migraine medications are all caffeine-based. I only get a migraine every few years, and I have the nausea, vomiting, need to be in a dark room with no lights, etc.; but I drink a McDonald's coke and it works for me. I have the greatest sympathy for those who are plagued with migraines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness