Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times

Advertisements

Is anyone interested in calorie restrictive diets?

Supposedly, people on this type of diet live longer, remain active, and are not as subject to age related diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I have read a little about these...very little and it seems to me there isn't enough data to support the life extension yet. I would stick to everyday excercise. I have yet to hear anything saying that doesn't help your health both mental and physical. I do think it bears reading up on though

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread. I've been reading some articles on calorie restrictive diets and you have to be extremely disciplined -- weighing and measuring all your food, etc. -- in order to get the right combination of calories and nutrients.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
I just go for the healthy diet,do not over eat,and get out there and excersise.That, at times is hard enough! Are you thinking of trying it? Read more on the "Blue Zones". Places in the world where people live longer due to eating right,exercise,low stress and family and community involvement.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
You can live a nice long miserable life on caloric restriction...lol. You spend your whole life hungry. I don't wanna live to 120 if everyday if I am hungry.

I would say if you avid processed foods, GMOs, sugar and exercise regularly you will live every bit as long as these caloric restricted individuals I believe.

The "Blue Zone" ppl also live in warm weather climates which I think should also be noted.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
You can live a nice long miserable life on caloric restriction...lol. You spend your whole life hungry. I don't wanna live to 120 if everyday if I am hungry.

I would say if you avid processed foods, GMOs, sugar and exercise regularly you will live every bit as long as these caloric restricted individuals I believe.

The "Blue Zone" ppl also live in warm weather climates which I think should also be noted.
I agree,who wants to be hungry all the time! I saw an interview with a woman that was living the CR life.She said if she went to bed hungry,she did her job!
As far as the blue zones,I wonder if it's the warm weather that is better for people or if it is because those people who live in those areas live on a plant based diet that they have access to all year long?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I agree,who wants to be hungry all the time! I saw an interview with a woman that was living the CR life.She said if she went to bed hungry,she did her job!
As far as the blue zones,I wonder if it's the warm weather that is better for people or if it is because those people who live in those areas live on a plant based diet that they have access to all year long?
Lets also mention ppl on CR look like crap. Thin, sickly looking twigs...lol. I am sure they are healthy on the inside but they don't look it outside.

I think both the warm weather and ability to grow or accsess plant based food year round contributes to their long life.

Home or locally grown food = much better nutrition. In cold weather climates food has to be shipped cross country handled by numerous ppl and exposed to the elements which damage nutrients.

Most of us tend to be more active in warm weather and activity/exercise w/out question contribute to long life. PPL often feel happier in warm weather, long, cold never ending winters can really take their toll on your psyche.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM

I was thinking that with the economy, it might be a sensible diet plan. Save on grocery bills.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have read a little about these...very little and it seems to me there isn't enough data to support the life extension yet. I would stick to everyday excercise. I have yet to hear anything saying that doesn't help your health both mental and physical. I do think it bears reading up on though
Well there has been research into the Sirt Genes (Sirt-1,3,4) which many scientist's believe hold the key to longevity. The only compound on earth so far to also interact with the Sirt Genes to express for longevity is Resveratrol although the science is still unsure if it can allow someone to have extreme longevity.
Eat Less To Live Longer: Calorie Restriction Linked To Long Healthy Lives - Science Daily

However i agree with CleanCutHippie about not wanting to live long if i always starved and that in itself could shorten life expectancy as the stress hormones could be raised always when starving for years.

Just do like Jack Lalanne as he is 96 and still works out 6 days a week and eats a good clean diet. He did 500 pushups on his 95th birthday and he doesn't practice calorie restriction.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I know. What's the fun in starving? Although I every time I sit down to a meal lately I keep joking, "Well, this doesn't really fit with my calories restriction diet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness