Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
teatime. I cut straws cut in half and "smoked" em'. they are the same size as a real cig. I enhaled and exhaled air. I could tap them in an ash tray. hang them out of my mouth when I drove or talked on the phone. when I was mad I chewed the ends. I had them in every purse and coat pocket for months. just the feeling of it helped me very much. silly but true
Glad that worked for you. But I needed something realistic to help me out with the "ritual" of smoking. For me, a straw doesn't cut it.This E-cig is really awesome for taking the place of an actual cig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
If you want to go this route, you should look into this.

www.smokersoption.com

They look and feel just like a real cigarette. They seem to work great too.

BUT with that out there, you are still engaging in the bad habit, just keep this in mind. If you use it to just get you buy initially and eventually away from it, more power to you. But I imagine someone with the habit this bad will most likely eventually relapse. Just break away from the habit and be free! They say it takes ~21 days to make or break a habit.
I'm curious -- have you ever smoked for a substantial period of time? From what I've read of your posts here, I don't think you have and, frankly, I find some of your assertions to be condescending and irritating.

Smoking is a VERY difficult addiction to break and it takes FAR LONGER than "21 days." I've quit for three and four months in the past but started right back up again when life became stressful. My father quit and remained smoke-free for more than 15 years until his death but he told me that he still wanted a cigarette every day of his life.

What he (and now I) couldn't stand is all of the sanctimonious crap thrown in the face of smokers from people who never smoked or are on some kind of crusade. Nonsense like "if you really want to quit, you can." Medical experts have called smoking a worse addiction to kick than heroin and, indeed, it is NOT simple and it IS a multi-faceted addiction.

To have people on the sidelines criticizing one's methods for quitting and analyzing everything a smoker does is very, very discouraging, and I can't stress that enough. If I need to use an E-cig or nico gum or some other method, then that's what I need to do so LEAVE IT ALONE. Non-smokers have the right to demand that the air around them be smoke-free but they do NOT have the right to rag on smokers who are chewing nico gum or puffing on an E-cig.

And, when they do rag on us, they reveal that it's not really about smoking for them, it's apparently about the enjoyment they get from criticizing other people. It's about a power trip. And they need to take their power trips AWAY from me and move on because I won't tolerate it.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You can get the liquids and cartridges from China on the Internet. That's not a problem. But you want to get the initial kit from a good supplier in the U.S. so it's of better quality and lasts.

You can import the liquid and cartridges - now. But if they became banned, the liquid and cartridges might not make it past Customs because they'd be regarded as contraband and subject to confiscation as an illegal or controlled substance. Otherwise, what would be the point in barring them? The only availability would be from smuggling or underground labs.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
What he (and now I) couldn't stand is all of the sanctimonious crap thrown in the face of smokers from people who never smoked or are on some kind of crusade. Nonsense like "if you really want to quit, you can."
Well, you can. Countless smokers have just quit, because they really wanted to. Easy? Certainly not. They just managed to find the motivation within themselves to make it work.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You can import the liquid and cartridges - now. But if they became banned, the liquid and cartridges might not make it past Customs because they'd be regarded as contraband and subject to confiscation as an illegal or controlled substance. Otherwise, what would be the point in barring them? The only availability would be from smuggling or underground labs.
Theoretically, that's true. However, importing pharmaceuticals from other countries is illegal, too, but many people do it. Let's just say that things like this aren't high on the list of priorities for Customs.

Heh, when I lived close to the Border with Mexico, I'd go across to get my BC pills because they weren't covered by my health plan. I NEVER hid them from Customs/Border officials and I specifically told them what I was bringing in. Never had a problem. I'd bring back Cuban rum, too, and no one cared, as long as I paid the tariffs on it.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Quote:
I'm curious -- have you ever smoked for a substantial period of time? From what I've read of your posts here, I don't think you have and, frankly, I find some of your assertions to be condescending and irritating.
No I am not a smoker, though I have tried it this last year just to see what it is like. Got tired of my gf telling me I will never know what it's like. I probably did smoke very lighly for about 8 months and saw that it was becoming addictive. But I despise it and will never go back. So I really do not know what it is like for a long time smoker who is heavily addicted.

Quote:
Smoking is a VERY difficult addiction to break and it takes FAR LONGER than "21 days." I've quit for three and four months in the past but started right back up again when life became stressful. My father quit and remained smoke-free for more than 15 years until his death but he told me that he still wanted a cigarette every day of his life.
The 21 days comment is for a habit. It can take more than that yes but you have work on that, and an e-cig will NOT break the habit--As nothing has changed! You still take a smoking device, put it to your lips and take a drag, then remove it from your lips and exhale. Hundreds of times a day doing some of the same things every day (driving, with coffee/alchohol, watchnig TV, on the phone, etc). If you want to quit, you have to quit on all aspects of the habit. Experts agree with this, and it is the truth. The e-cig is great though as you are not killing yourself, but what happens if the FDA bans it? Or it breaks? Or you can't order refills for it? You go and buy a pack of cigs and press on... I just want people to be aware and keep this in mind. You can try to use it as a temporary step to quit, by reducing the nicotine down to zero, but in the end it will still be hard as the physical habit has not changed.

Quote:
What he (and now I) couldn't stand is all of the sanctimonious crap thrown in the face of smokers from people who never smoked or are on some kind of crusade. Nonsense like "if you really want to quit, you can." Medical experts have called smoking a worse addiction to kick than heroin and, indeed, it is NOT simple and it IS a multi-faceted addiction.
I agree, it is worse than heroine and cocaine. It is a very hard habit and I know this as I saw what my father went though, and my girlfriend this past year. This has been a very personal issue for me, as I don't want my loves ones to suffer, or any human being for that matter. It is NOT a will power issue, it is a severe addiction. And wanting to quit usually comes when you hit bottom. And not a day before that...

Quote:
To have people on the sidelines criticizing one's methods for quitting and analyzing everything a smoker does is very, very discouraging, and I can't stress that enough. If I need to use an E-cig or nico gum or some other method, then that's what I need to do so LEAVE IT ALONE. Non-smokers have the right to demand that the air around them be smoke-free but they do NOT have the right to rag on smokers who are chewing nico gum or puffing on an E-cig.

And, when they do rag on us, they reveal that it's not really about smoking for them, it's apparently about the enjoyment they get from criticizing other people. It's about a power trip. And they need to take their power trips AWAY from me and move on because I won't tolerate it.
Let me just say I have spend the better part of a year on this subject, trying to learn all I can about it. Am I an expert? No. Like I said my girlfriend and father were 3 pack a day smokers so I have taken a bit of interest in this subject and have done a lot of research. I am stating facts I have learned about. It's not a power trip or enjoyment to criticise. I am actually here trying to help. They say that NRT actually makes it worse to have a successful lifetime quit. Cold turkey is the best way. The e-cig is actually worse than the patch and gum, as stated above. As you are still engaging in the habit. I wish you the best in your quit. I would do all the reseach you can to educate yourself so you can be successful.

Start off here: WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, you can. Countless smokers have just quit, because they really wanted to. Easy? Certainly not. They just managed to find the motivation within themselves to make it work.
Obviously. And some, like my dad, can go cold turkey. I cannot. In fact, the first time I tried to go cold turkey, my blood pressure rose to dangerous levels. But my point was that non-smokers, in many cases, are NOT encouraging and seem to enjoy taking shots at smokers who are trying to quit. They also minimize just how difficult it is to quit. And that sucks, with a capital S.

That would be like me going up to an obese person who, in trying to change her habits, began drinking diet sodas instead of regular sodas and sneering at her because she wasn't drinking water. She would feel discouraged and I'd be a prize jackass for doing such a thing.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
No I am not a smoker, though I have tried it this last year just to see what it is like. Got tired of my gf telling me I will never know what it's like. I probably did smoke very lighly for about 8 months and saw that it was becoming addictive. But I despise it and will never go back. So I really do not know what it is like for a long time smoker who is heavily addicted.

The 21 days comment is for a habit. It can take more than that yes but you have work on that, and an e-cig will NOT break the habit--As nothing has changed! You still take a smoking device, put it to your lips and take a drag, then remove it from your lips and exhale. Hundreds of times a day doing some of the same things every day (driving, with coffee/alchohol, watchnig TV, on the phone, etc). If you want to quit, you have to quit on all aspects of the habit. Experts agree with this, and it is the truth. The e-cig is great though as you are not killing yourself, but what happens if the FDA bans it? Or it breaks? Or you can't order refills for it? You go and buy a pack of cigs and press on... I just want people to be aware and keep this in mind. You can try to use it as a temporary step to quit, by reducing the nicotine down to zero, but in the end it will still be hard as the physical habit has not changed.

I agree, it is worse than heroine and cocaine. It is a very hard habit and I know this as I saw what my father went though, and my girlfriend this past year. This has been a very personal issue for me, as I don't want my loves ones to suffer, or any human being for that matter. It is NOT a will power issue, it is a severe addiction. And wanting to quit usually comes when you hit bottom. And not a day before that...

Let me just say I have spend the better part of a year on this subject. Am I an expert? Like I said my girlfriend and father were 3 pack a day smokers so I have taken a bit of interest in this subject and have done a lot of research. I am stating facts I have learned about. It's not a power trip or enjoyment to criticise. I am actually here trying to help. They say that NRT actually makes it worse to have a successful lifetime quit. Cold turkey is the best way. The e-cig is actually worse than the patch and gum, as stated above. As you are still engaging in the habit. I wish you the best in your quit. I would do all the reseach you can to educate yourself so you can be successful.

Start off here: WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource
As I recall, you were on the Relationships Board ragging on your girlfriend and you got an earful. You displayed attitudes that were not at all supportive.

Cold turkey is NOT for me and it's none of your business, anyway. This is exactly the sort of thing that folks like myself do NOT need from people like you. So, BUTT OUT, pun intended.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Quote:
As I recall, you were on the Relationships Board ragging on your girlfriend and you got an earful. You displayed attitudes that were not at all supportive.

Cold turkey is NOT for me and it's none of your business, anyway. This is exactly the sort of thing that folks like myself do NOT need from people like you. So, BUTT OUT, pun intended.
First of all I was not ragging on anyone. I was trying to help her as she has a severe cigarette addiction. And the earful I got were from smokers like you. Funny how that works.

Last I checked this is a free country and message board. I will do no such thing. I will give my opinions and facts that medical experts portray, if you don't agree with it then do not respond. Go have a cigarette instead.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Theoretically, that's true. However, importing pharmaceuticals from other countries is illegal, too, but many people do it. Let's just say that things like this aren't high on the list of priorities for Customs.

Heh, when I lived close to the Border with Mexico, I'd go across to get my BC pills because they weren't covered by my health plan. I NEVER hid them from Customs/Border officials and I specifically told them what I was bringing in. Never had a problem. I'd bring back Cuban rum, too, and no one cared, as long as I paid the tariffs on it.

You're right about medications. I suspect narcotic meds might be a different matter that could be a problem. You can't bring marijuana into the country, even if it's intended for medical use. In any case, the purpose of nicotine in the form of liquid or cartridges would for use in e-cigs would not for medicinal use.

I've never gone through Customs at border crossings from Canada or Mexico. I make flights across the Pacific and have to go through Customs that way. They hand check your luggage, you have to empty your pockets, and they search everything. They're pretty touchy about what you take out of the country and bring into the country. Nearly all international airports around the world do that these days. I guess some U.S. international airports have been a bit lax at times though.

Anyway, I don't know if it would be worth making a special trip to Mexico just to pick up a few e-cig cartridges, although I can see bringing some back if you're going there for other reasons as well. The impression I have is that the idea of barring e-cigs is just under thought. It hasn't been implemented, so no point worrying about it now. If anything, I'd suspect it would just end up being heavily taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness