Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,536,054 times

Advertisements

A study out in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and funded by the NIH showed that exposure to Nitrates in certains foods, water and fertilizers may be a cause of certain degenerative diseases in humans. In foods they are found in fried bacon, cured meats, certain cheeses, beer and water. Once in the body they become highly reactive at the cellular level and alter gene expression and damage DNA.

Nitrates May Be Environmental Trigger For Alzheimer’s, Diabetes And Parkinson's Disease - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,694,361 times
Another toxic chemichal allowed in our food supply by the wonderful FDA. If I was to go into a supermarket and dump a carcinogenic on the foods I would rot in jail which I would deserve but these food manufacturers answer to no one, its a freekin joke.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,170,170 times
Wow, thats really too bad because that list is pretty much my list of primary favorite foods.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,023,678 times
I have heard some linkages between nitrites and problems, but also many things that contain the most of it are very high in other things that are very bad for you in large quantities. I wonder if they can extract what problems come from them compared to eating a ton of fatty bacon and sausages.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,536,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Wow, thats really too bad because that list is pretty much my list of primary favorite foods.
I even saw beef in that list as that doesn't make me a ''Hunter Gatherer'' happy as i'll stick with chicken until i can find grass fed beef in this small town i'm currently located at.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,790,297 times
I believe they are also found in hot dogs, salami, pepperoni .... total bummer. There goes the Italian subs...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM

161 posts, read 340,208 times
Is that a different kind of "nitrate" then what you take for your heart?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,694,361 times
You can find nitate free Hot Dogs. Applegate farms makes an organic, 100% grass fed beef hot dog with no nitrates or nitrites added. Its a good product if you must eat hot dogs.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

78 posts, read 227,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
Is that a different kind of "nitrate" then what you take for your heart?

Are you referring to "Nitroglycerin"? It's funny how things can help or hurt, depending on the amount that is used. Nitroglycerin is a powerful explosive, yet in small amounts dilates the blood vessels and improves blood flow, which is why it is often prescribed to prevent chest pain in heart patients. It is indeed in the "Nitrate" family (which means it's derived from Nitric Acid vs Nitrites, which are derived from Nitrous acid).

Both Nitrates and Nitrites are mentioned in the article but I often see the Nitrites in particular used for food preservation as in bacon and "cured" deli meats or sausages. I definitely look for these additives on labels and try to avoid them - but every few months or so I need some good old bacon and very occasionally some authentic andouille sausage. Unfortunately the specialty store that makes it includes Nitrites but it's sooo good. My trade off is to have it very occasionally, and use natural products at other times. There are lots of uncured products available out there, especially if you have a Whole Foods or other natural store around.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM

161 posts, read 340,208 times
Thank you Marlene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness