Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times

Advertisements

So glad you are doing better Tek. Thanks for sharing all of this information. Maybe I should move this over to HEALTH and WELLNESS forum? Just a thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Unhappy Ouch,,,, mega pain

Been there done that! Ouch I had them on my chest left side front and back. It started as a little rash looking sore and then in a few days got worse. I thought I had been stuck with a thorn from a bush or tree in the yard while I had been working. I had a normal visit with my chiropractor for routine back pain that I see every month; and he said that it looked to him like shingles instead of a rash. I was advised to see my family doctor and have it check out ASAP.

What I was told is that there are only a few days before it becomes full blown and extra painful that you have to get the medicine needed to minimize the pain. If you wait too long nothing can help you. He gave me the meds and also some ointment to put on the skin to help heal the areas.

It is a herpes virus that comes with chicken pox. When you’re a kid you get this virus in the form of chicken poxes and then you carry this virus in your body through out your life. As an adult, it then becomes shingles. Normally stress will activate it but not always. It attaches itself and attacks the nerves; the virus will always remain in your body.

The best thing I got was the medicine from the doctor to get it from the inside of the body to help heal and reduce the pain. Although very little reduced or helped with the pain. The other item that really helped I got from the health food store. Made by Peaceful Mountain and called “Shingles Rescue Plus” extra strength formula. This stuff really worked well and helped to heal.

I can’t thank my chiropractor enough for identifying the rash area and advising me to see the family doctor right away, otherwise I would not have gone in so soon and it would have been too late to have good affects from the medicine.

The darn stuff lasted about ten days maybe two weeks before it really got cleared up. The health food store where I get most everything I need was helpful with the product that they recommended and it helped the pain greatly as well as the healing.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Tek so sorry you have been ill hope you get some relief soon. Will you take your own advice next time and see a doctor sooner??????

Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I had them at age of 21 on a spot on my back about the size of a small plate. Went to the doc and got a shot. He told me what they where and told me of coming pains. I was lucky. They cleared up and never hurt. A few years ago I went to the ER with awful pains in upper stomach area and in lower chest. Tests could find nothing. Three days later broke out in shingles again on chest....Very, very painful....Took a week or more to get over them this time.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
so sorry you've been feeling so bad. glad you're okay now! my m.i.l. gets shingles and she said they hurt but the way you describe it I really feel for her now!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,213 times
good luck n best wishes for a speedy recovery

Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
So sorry about this, Tek. Glad to hear about the healthfood store help.
I hope everything works out well with your recovery.

A friend of mine had shingles and was miserable for several weeks but did get completely better. This was several years ago, it sounds like there is more help available now.

I am going to get that shot as soon as I get within sniffing distance of 60.
When my brothers and I had the chicken pox, they just had a few little spots on their stomachs,whereas I had more spots than skin--I had them in my eyes, mouth, scalp, etc etc.

I hate pain even more than itching.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:48 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Let me tell you something you may not know: Shingles hurts. Not just some, "Ow that hurts!", hurt, but a "I think the top/back/side/eyeball just blew off my head and my brain is going to start running out" pain. I think I set a record for the number of aspirin taken over a two day period. That upsets nurses and docyors BTW. "Liver damage", they all quote. "Pain from Hell", I reply. They get quiet.
ouchie ouchie tek !!
I am so sorry to hear this I have know a few folks who have experienced this and it was not fun at all

Though it all you have kept your sense of humor !!!!!
I hope you are feeling better very soon !!!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,558 times
I feel your pain, Tek. I had the shingles a year and a half ago. OUCH!

I wish you a full and lasting recovery!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
get well soon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness