Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM

481 posts, read 806,437 times

Advertisements

I highly recommend this excellent book:

"Your Body's Many Cries For Water"
by F. Batmanghelidj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

99 posts, read 252,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Here is a good article on the importance of water and salt on preventing Migraines. Hope it helps you!

Migraine Symptoms -- Prevent Them With Water And Salt
The information on that website was wonderful! I am starting to change my diet, focusing on eating on raw and unprocessed foods (I'm aiming for around half of the food I eat to be raw), removing refined sugar and simple carbs, drinking tons of water, and taking a feverfew supplement. Everything makes so much sense, and I just needed to hear it for the millionth time that my diet wasn't cutting it. It wasn't as bad as a lot of people my age (I'm 24), but it was seriously lacking in nutritional veggies/fruit (especially raw ones). Also, I may go back to my massage therapist--I did notice a significant drop in migraine frequency for the 2 months I was going (it was getting too expensive at the time...).

SouthernBelle, how long after beginning the feverfew supplements did it take for you to notice a change? I know nothing is going to be an instant fix, but I would like to know what kind of time frame to look for so that I can tell whether it's working for me or not.

Again, thanks everyone for the help. I will report back with results!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
It worked instantly on the one I had b/c I took about 3 doses over a 1.5 hr period (can take up to 5 does of the liquid every 30 min). The frequency trailed off pretty quickly, maybe 10 days? Just keep taking it as everyone is different.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
Quote:
Oh, and make sure you are drinking enough water. Being slightly dehydrated can trigger headaches!

Sometimes a cup of coffee helps too.

Stay away from surgery unless you are against the wall!!!!
yea I've had a killer head ache for hours and just had a glass of water and it already feels a little better!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM

99 posts, read 252,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It worked instantly on the one I had b/c I took about 3 doses over a 1.5 hr period (can take up to 5 does of the liquid every 30 min). The frequency trailed off pretty quickly, maybe 10 days? Just keep taking it as everyone is different.
How much is a dose for your supplement? I bought capsules that are 380 mg each. I got a migraine last night and took one of them and it didn't seem to help much, but I think it might have been too late. The bottle says I can take 1-3 capsules per day, I guess it could be all at once. Will keep trying.

When I was a kid, I used to be able to just drink water to get almost rid of them, but they've only grown in strength over the years. I still grab water as soon as I feel one coming on though.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM

481 posts, read 806,437 times
[quote=shaken8;10004747]The information on that website was wonderful! I am starting to change my diet, focusing on eating on raw and unprocessed foods (I'm aiming for around half of the food I eat to be raw), removing refined sugar and simple carbs, drinking tons of water, and taking a feverfew supplement. Everything makes so much sense, and I just needed to hear it for the millionth time that my diet wasn't cutting it. It wasn't as bad as a lot of people my age (I'm 24), but it was seriously lacking in nutritional veggies/fruit (especially raw ones). Also, I may go back to my massage therapist--I did notice a significant drop in migraine frequency for the 2 months I was going (it was getting too expensive at the time...).

quote]

Ask your massage therapist for a price break if you sign up for several massages. Offer to pay in advance if necessary. She might be very willing to work with you, especially in this bad economy.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken8 View Post
How much is a dose for your supplement? I bought capsules that are 380 mg each. ..............
I use the liquid and 40 drops is the maximum dose at a time. I think you can repeat it in 30 min , for a total of 5 times per day. I never needed beyond 3 doses.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,853 times
Falsely diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia by UCSF/Stanford in 2000 I was later manipulated by a Chinese-American immigrant neurosurgeon at UC Davis Cancer clinic to choose gamma knife instead of the decompression (invasive) surgery. It made my toothache turn into full-blown chronic migraine, 24/7 for the rest of my life. After gamma knife screws you up, you have no alternatives. The decompression allows you further types of treatments including gamma knife. Talk to and write to at least one dozen other patients who have gone one route or the other. All Drs. push what little they know, which is very little. They act like God as a diversionary cover up because they really do NOT know what to do IN YOUR INDIVIDUAL CASE. YOU HAVE TO JUST inform yourself to the best of your ability before you make a life changing decision. Then live with it.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:38 AM

7 posts, read 5,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No side effects that I ever saw. For the first years (started in 1995), I took it every day in the morning. You can take the liquid up to 5 times per day. Sometimes, when the weather was changing and I had the beginnings of a bad one, I'd take it 2 or 3 times/day, never needed more than the 3rd dose. Then for a couple of years I took it only when one was starting. Now, I rarely get a migraine, but I live in Utah where big thunderstorms are rare.

I read an artilce in the Smithsonian magazine that the electrical disturbance in the air around a thunderstorm could cause migraines. Certainly, about 15 min after it started raining and the thunder was gone, my mirgaine was also gone.

My regular grocery carries the HerbPharm brand, which has a liquid form of it mixed with Lavender. It is really bitter, don't mix it with milk. Best are colas, water, jouces.
I am very interested in this reply, as I too live in Utah. I notice the weather changes really affect me, and that I too find relief once the rain starts, but am miserable while the clouds are gathering. I am miserable during an "air inversion" when the clouds just sit over SLC for days on end, and practically have to go to bed for days even while taking a lot of various helps for migraine. I will definitely look into your suggestion, as hopefully I will be able to find HerbPhram at my regular grocery store. I also notice that when I am not properly hydrated or am not taking my decongestant that I am pretty well useless the pain is so bad.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,045 times
Default Great help!

Quote:
I highly recommend this excellent book:

"Your Body's Many Cries For Water"
by F. Batmanghelidj

I have looked it up…it is available through Amazon for only .01 for paperback. In the meantime, I have requested it out of the library. I can't wait to read it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness