U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,969,496 times

Advertisements

I was in a car accident about a week and a half ago. It was a heavy impact and I was injured.

For the last few days my jaw seems really stiff (clenched) and it seems to be affecting my speech a little.

Does anyone know what this could be? Would a neck or back injury affect your jaws?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,598,154 times
I think a neck injury certainly could. Did you go to the hospital? If not, then call your doctor.

As a word of warning to others, if the ambulance is there and wants to take you to the hospital, GO! I refused as I felt shaken up but not hurt. Big mistake. By the time I got home, my forearm was painful and 3 days later I had to have it x-rayed. What a mix-up on the bill. Auto insurance pays for it but clinics don't accept auto insurance in their systems, so they billed my regular health insurance. And they paid. Took months to straighten out and I kept getting letters about it. Hospitals are set up in billing to bill the auto insurance directly. My 2 friends also refused the hospital and they spent months in the chiropractor's office afterwards.

Also, if the airbags deployed, you are likely in a little shock no matter how OK you feel. You aren't going to make a good decision. If the front airbags deploy, the car is usually a total loss and you have more injuries than you are aware of.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM

i did go to the hospital via ambulance. My auto insurance doesn't have medical coverage on it. I; however, do you have health insurance through my employer that's being used for Drs visits and physical therapy.

I have also recently been in contact with a lawyer to make sure that the other driver will be held liable for the accident.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
i did go to the hospital via ambulance. My auto insurance doesn't have medical coverage on it. I; however, do you have health insurance through my employer that's being used for Drs visits and physical therapy.

I have also recently been in contact with a lawyer to make sure that the other driver will be held liable for the accident.
In my state, you are required to have medical coverage for the 1st $3K of injury, then the other driver's insurance picks up. I think it stinks as the other driver caused my accident, but she also didn't have enough coverage for the car damages alone, never mind the injuries. Glad you are taking care of things!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM

From what my insurance agent told me I could make a bodily damage claim on the other person's insurance since I was hurt.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

8,410 posts, read 37,926,558 times
Go to the doctors and get an MRI/CAT scan again if you have not already. The swelling or brain damage may have taken some time to show. Do not delay.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Well as of today I had a lot of pain in the back of my neck and back followed by a "numb" feeling on the back of my head.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM

You definitely need a medical opinion! Go call now!!

That high up on your spine, you could be paralyzed over much of your body if something is getting worse.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,829,982 times
Definitely rule out any brain injury first but if the MDs can't find anything then consider a chiropractor who can work on your jaw. I had a case of TMJ that was so bad my back teeth weren't touching. I mentioned in to my chiropractor when I was getting my back adjusted and he clicked on it a few times. An hour after leaving his office my jaw felt perfect. It was pretty impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness