Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribe View Post
thanks woof woof woof...i'm busy at work.that's why i wasn't able to update this...anyhow i'm back again...hehe
good blog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Bribe, she is doing fine and rarely has any problems. But she is a vegetarian and does a lot of what we call Eastern medicine - acupuncture, Chinese herbs, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Look into Aloe Vera Juice & Gel! Coconut juice daily and in your cereal or oatmeal add sugar free coconut flakes. Keep the stress low! Exercise! Yoga, martial arts! Plenty of distilled water!

Feel good

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM

20 posts, read 59,945 times
Here's what I've got about UC:

The goals of treatment include:

Relieving symptoms and ending sudden (acute) attacks as quickly as possible.
Treating complications, such as anemia or infection.
Treatment may include taking nutritional supplements to restore normal growth and sexual development in children and teens.
Preventing or delaying new attacks.[/list]

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM

52 posts, read 134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
There is a good book about this issue...Breaking the Vicious Cycle...by Elaine Gottschall. The website is www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info I know this treatment, if it can be called a treatment...works. I have a friend it worked for...she was advised to have her colon removed, and she went on this food plan...eliminating sugar, grains..and all the rest of the food items that cause a flare...she hasn't had a problem in 5 years. It also works for me. I don't have colitis, but I have problems with my colon...irritable bowel and other unknown problems. I don't eat the restricted foods and my colon is just fine. When I eat what I'm not supposed to, it 'acts up'.

Medical doctors are trained to treat disease with pharmaceuticals...they are not trained to treat health issues in a holistic manner. This book is holistic, but it does not say "do not do what your doctor says" So people need to still work with their docs and also implement this way of eating. Eventually, for most people, the problem can go away. Then you won't need the expensive drugs or doctor visits. It can be somewhat difficult, because some docs will laugh at you if you tell them "it's my diet" that is the cause. Sometimes, you need to keep taking the meds and doing the food restrictions...then when you heal you no longer need the doc.

P.S. There are some MD's who will work with this type of treatment, but they are few. Unfortunately, medical schools don't encourage medical doctors to be open-minded. It's sad because if all the health practitioners could and would work together, imagine how healthy we could all be.

wow...M thanks for this info...i'll find this book immediately.i do believe with what u say about doing food restrictions.Food restriction is helpful too for my sister.But she just can't stop being stressed out from all her work.Her body can't handle well all her activities at school.It sucks!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 AM

guys thanks to all of your info..i really appreciate it...it's so good to talk to people who could actually relate to my situation..i would want to introduce to you my sister who has UC so that you could give her info about it and probably you could help her out to accept her situation.It could help her a lot to talk to somebody who could guide her.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Bribe, she is doing fine and rarely has any problems. But she is a vegetarian and does a lot of what we call Eastern medicine - acupuncture, Chinese herbs, etc.
SouthernBelle...it's good to hear that your daughter is doing fine.
eversince my sister was diagnosed with UC,we stopped eating pork and beef.We usually eat either fish or veggies...by the way,omega 3 is good for the colon.maybe you could tell your daughter to take omega 3.my sister is taking omacor.maybe we could also try herbal meds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Look into Aloe Vera Juice & Gel! Coconut juice daily and in your cereal or oatmeal add sugar free coconut flakes. Keep the stress low! Exercise! Yoga, martial arts! Plenty of distilled water!

Feel good
PositiveOne...thanks!hmm...does this aloevera juice help you a lot?i have to find this aloe juice here in the phil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK advocate View Post
Here's what I've got about UC:

The goals of treatment include:

Relieving symptoms and ending sudden (acute) attacks as quickly as possible.
Treating complications, such as anemia or infection.
Treatment may include taking nutritional supplements to restore normal growth and sexual development in children and teens.
Preventing or delaying new attacks.[/list]
GK...do you also have UC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
good blog!
thanks for that M...i really need advice from you guys..so thanks for posting here in my thread..

guys thanks for all of your info..i really appreciate it...it's so good to talk to people who could actually relate to my situation..i would want to introduce to you my sister who has UC so that you could give her info about it and probably you could help her out to accept her situation.It could help her a lot to talk to somebody who could guide her.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:09 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Just another bit of info - people with UC should avoid NSAIDS (Motrin, inbuprofen, Aleve, Advil etc). They can cause colon ulceration.

Interestingly, cigarette smokers with UC have been shown to have a FLARE UP of symptoms when they QUIT!! I'm defintely NOT advocating smoking but explaining why persons with UC may experience worsening symptoms when they quit smoking. There has been research involving the use of other forms of nicotine to assist sufferers of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease which includes both UC and Crohn's) in achieving remission. The risks of smoking far outweigh the benefits but it will be interesting to see how the new research plays out.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Just another bit of info - people with UC should avoid NSAIDS (Motrin, inbuprofen, Aleve, Advil etc). They can cause colon ulceration.

Interestingly, cigarette smokers with UC have been shown to have a FLARE UP of symptoms when they QUIT!! I'm defintely NOT advocating smoking but explaining why persons with UC may experience worsening symptoms when they quit smoking. There has been research involving the use of other forms of nicotine to assist sufferers of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease which includes both UC and Crohn's) in achieving remission. The risks of smoking far outweigh the benefits but it will be interesting to see how the new research plays out.
so,my sister should stay away from these pain relievers and use steroidal pain reliever like mefanamic acid instead???

so what are the sample of these nicotine product that can be use?can you give me sample names of these...

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM

hey guys,i want to share this to you.Ms.Sherry Brescia mailed this to my mom.She also has IBD.
She made researches about foods that could help people with IBD.

We've gotten a great number of questions lately about the
fresh herbs and spices called for in the Great Taste No
Pain recipes.

Many people are under the false impression that eating
them will make their acid reflux, ulcer or hiatal hernia
act up.

But they won't.

With the exception of curry powder and iodized table salt,
ALL herbs and spices (including garlic) are alkaline to the
body...meaning good for you, your pH and your stomach.

The reason herbs and spices have gotten their bad rap is
because our good old standard American diet needed a
scapegoat.

Here's a little history to show what I mean:

Prior to the 20th century, people ate simple meals that
featured fresh foods, most of which was grown on the family
farm or purchased fresh each day from the market.

Processed food arrived on the scene in the year 1900.
Food manufacturers began developing "better living through
chemistry" products like artificial sweeteners (saccharin),
taste additives (MSG), partially hydrogenated vegetable
shortening and margarine.

Also, refined white sugar replaced molasses as the leading
sweetener in the American diet.

In 1911 a grain-milling process was discovered that
stripped away the germ and outer layers of wheat grain
(where the nutrients are). The result was nutrient-poor,
acid-creating white bread and refined white flour.

Each decade that followed brought new "technological
advances" that would further destroy the naturally occuring
nutrients in food, while adding in more chemicals (making
them more acidic and toxic to the body).

Then to makes things worse, in the year 1956 the US
Department of Agriculture began a huge campaign telling
Americans to eat foods from the 4 different food groups at
every meal.

The result of all of this? People began eating horribly
mis-combined and processed foods, then had World War III
going on in their chest or gut afterwards.

Well, most people and medical professionals thought that
it can't possibly be the food--so spices took the blame.

And that old wives' tale has continued to be standard
medical advice for decades--if you've got an ulcer, acid
reflux or hiatal hernia, 99.9% of doctors will still tell
you to avoid herbs and spices.

When in reality what you need to avoid is acid-creating
foods and food combinations (like I teach you how to do in
Great Taste No Pain. http://greattastenopain.com/great.asp

The truth is herbs and spices have been used for thousands
of years for both flavoring and medicinal purposes.

They are used heavily in Ayurvedic medicine, the 3,000-
year old ancient Hindu art of health, medicine and
prolonging life.

Not only are they alkaline to the body, but many have
their own unique health benefits. For example:

- Oregano is a potent antiviral, antibacterial and
antifungal agent.

- Garlic helps protect the heart, has anti-inflammatory
properties and can boost your immune system.

- Cilantro helps move mercury out of the body's tissues.

- Cinnamon has shown to help reduce blood sugar levels in
type II diabetics.

- Cayenne (red) pepper is used to stimulate the
circulatory as well as digestive systems.

- Marjoram helps promote good digestion and relieve
diarrhea, and works on the breathing passages by loosening
mucus.

- Nutmeg helps stimulate the brain, and also works as an
anti-inflammatory.

- Basil has anti-inflammatory properties and is a source
for Vitamin K, iron, calcium, vitamin A, manganese,
magnesium, vitamin C, and potassium.

And that's just a few herbs and spices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness