Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do any of you take blood thinner medicine?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I take 7.5 mgs of Coumadin a day and well be taking this drug for the rest of my life. I take this for a past history of blood clots of lungs. John
My DH had the same problem, and he hated coumadin. After a year on it his lungs were clear, and so he asked for a test to see if he is susceptible to blood clots. He wasn't, so he went off them. He got them from sitting around after surgery. I am so glad that he is off the drug and is moving around more. Now he takes two aspirin a day instead. Of course on Coumadin you can't take aspirin unless your doctor says to do so. Being off coumadin I also suggested ginko and vitamin e. things you can't use while on coumadin, but he doesn't do ginko.

On even low dosages of coumadin my husband was tired, had headaches, couldn't eat well, etc. He had no life in him and felt so horrible he wondered if this was the way it would always be for him. He feels so much better now.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-11-2008 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I don't remember exactly what he said, but my doctor told me that the reason he has me on both Coumadin and 81mg Aspirin is that even though they are both considered "blood thinners", they work on different aspects of the clotting/thinning mechanism.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM

379 posts, read 645,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't remember exactly what he said, but my doctor told me that the reason he has me on both Coumadin and 81mg Aspirin is that even though they are both considered "blood thinners", they work on different aspects of the clotting/thinning mechanism.
That is true. Sometimes its hard for patients to understand it. It is hard for me to explain it so let me know if it doesn't make sense to you. The body has arteries and veins. Arteries carry oxygenated blood from your heart and lungs out to the rest of your body. Arteries are stronger and thicker than veins (you can feel them pulse on your wrist and neck and other areas). The blood in your arteries is bright red and full of oxygen. Veins carry the blood back to the heart once the body has used the oxygen. This blood is darker looking (red/blue). Asprin + plavix work on clots that form in your arteries (PAD, Heart attack, stroke) by making your platelets less sticky, Coumadin works on clots in your veins (clots in lungs and legs(dvt)) by decreasing the amount of clotting ability (clotting factors) the body (spec liver) produces.

Last edited by Burgi; 01-11-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I suggest you discuss this with your physician in light of updated information.
Without going into detail, Aspirin, Ticlid (ticlopidine), and Plavix (clopidogrel) are antiplatelet agents. They act to decrease platelet adhesiveness which reduces their tendency to stick together to begin clot formation. In contrast Coumadin (warfarin) is an anticoagulant which alters the synthesis of blood coagulation factors II (prothrombin), VII (proconvertin), IX (plasma thromboplastin component), and X (Stuart-Prower factor) in the liver by interfering with the action of Vitamin K.

Results of the Warfarin Antiplatelet Vascular Evaluation (WAVE) trial were recently published in New England Jour. Med. 2007;357: 293-296. In this randomized, controlled, trial in patients with peripheral artery disease it was demonstrated that antiplatelet therapy plus an oral anticoagulant was no better at preventing major cardiovascular complications than antiplatelet therapy alone. HOWEVER, the combination therapy was also associated with a significant increase in life-threatening bleeding complications compared with monotherapy.

In summary, you may not have talked with your physician for a few months so he may not have had a chance to read this study. He may also have some unique aspect in your background for continuing this therapy. However, in light of new data I suggest you call your physician to discuss this. Our knowledge base changes constantly, and we have found that what was safe yesterday, may not be today.

PS This forum is interesting, but it grossly oversimplifies clinical pharmacology. At least take comfort in the fact that some of us have spent our entire careers trying to absorb new research data and translate it into safe prescribing practices to protect you.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I suggest you discuss this with your physician in light of updated information.
Without going into detail, Aspirin, Ticlid (ticlopidine), and Plavix (clopidogrel) are antiplatelet agents. They act to decrease platelet adhesiveness which reduces their tendency to stick together to begin clot formation. In contrast Coumadin (warfarin) is an anticoagulant which alters the synthesis of blood coagulation factors II (prothrombin), VII (proconvertin), IX (plasma thromboplastin component), and X (Stuart-Prower factor) in the liver by interfering with the action of Vitamin K.

Results of the Warfarin Antiplatelet Vascular Evaluation (WAVE) trial were recently published in New England Jour. Med. 2007;357: 293-296. In this randomized, controlled, trial in patients with peripheral artery disease it was demonstrated that antiplatelet therapy plus an oral anticoagulant was no better at preventing major cardiovascular complications than antiplatelet therapy alone. HOWEVER, the combination therapy was also associated with a significant increase in life-threatening bleeding complications compared with monotherapy.

In summary, you may not have talked with your physician for a few months so he may not have had a chance to read this study. He may also have some unique aspect in your background for continuing this therapy. However, in light of new data I suggest you call your physician to discuss this. Our knowledge base changes constantly, and we have found that what was safe yesterday, may not be today.

PS This forum is interesting, but it grossly oversimplifies clinical pharmacology. At least take comfort in the fact that some of us have spent our entire careers trying to absorb new research data and translate it into safe prescribing practices to protect you.
good post, thank you.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Wink Follow doctor's orders, but always be informed and ready to ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My mother took Coumadin and after doing a little research on the drug I found that there are too many side effects for it that were bad. Coumadin is or has an ingredient that is used in rat poison! Go figure? Mom died of a stroke which is one of the side effects of Coumadin. You need to trust your doctor but you need to also research on your own just to be safe. I would think that aspirin would be a better choice.
AksarbeN, the stroke your mother probably had while taking Coumadin may have been the result of the dose not being high enough to keep her INR between 2.0 and 3.0 and she had a clot in the brain. Or, it could have been a cerebral hemorrhage which caused bleeding in the brain, thus a stroke.

In either case, it is a sad consequence of Coumadin levels either too high or too low to prevent a brain attack or stroke.

I, too, take Coumadin daily, as well as an 81 mg. enteric aspirin (coated baby aspirin to prevent stomach irritation) AND 500 mg. of plaquenil everyday. All three of these medications act on the blood differently, so depending on your clotting event and the underlying cause, you may well be told by your physician to take more than one med for your blood.

I have Systemic Lupus and unfortunately I produce antibodies that act against my own blood (antiphospholipid antibody sysdrome). As a result, I form clots easily and frequently if my INR drops below 2.2. I must monitor weekly because depending on how active my antibodies are I may need more or less Coumadin from day to day.

NEVER neglect to have your levels monitored and always inform any doctor (even if they have seen you before), dentist or EMT tech that you are taking Plavix, Coumadin, therapeutic aspirin, what-have-you.

If you risk a high chance of developing a clot by stopping your Coumadin before a surgical procedure, you can be admitted to the hospital a few days prior and be put on a heparin drip. This would be discontinued hours before your surgery and without complications, resumed a day or so after until you could take the longer-acting med, Coumadin again.

Never assume that you can stop any medication, particularly a life-saving one such as Plavix or Coumadin because you do not feel good taking it - or because your buddy says that drinking red wine will give you the same results. You are risking your life. Trust your doctor, but do not be afraid to question his judgment at any time.

It has been 12 years since my last mild stroke and I will not give up my meds for any list of scary possible side effects. Even vitamins have severe side effects if misused.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Hi, Here is a website that talks about blood clot problems and other health problems.

Brought to you by the APS Foundation of America

APS Friends & Support Forum ~ Brought to you by the APS Foundation of America

Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
My brother-in-law is on coumadin and was told to take a 325 aspirin a day with it.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
I belong to a forum for people who have been diagnosed with CRVO (central retinal vein occlusion). There is a lot of confusion because, I guess, aspirin doesn't do anything to help with the affected eye (and may make it worse?) but then most members are told to take aspirin, presumably as prophylaxis, and then get confused about the different advice - which again, we've deduced at this point that it must be this distinction between the eye versus the future risk to the person as a whole.

Moderator cut: off topic, orphaned

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-15-2008 at 04:42 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Great clarification, GLS. There should be no doubts at this point what is considered low-dose therapy for one may be too high or too low for another.

Listen to your doctor. If you disagree or are in doubt, second and third opinions are available to any who seek them. This is often the best course with a life-threatening or debilitating illness in the first place. Respect your body and your health. If your car needed some major attention one may seek the advice of a second mechanic. Each individual deserves the same consideration of his illness.

Goldenmom, I would assume that your concern about the clotting in the retinal artery or vein would depend on how much compression is involved and whether or not the individual is prone to clotting.

I know for myself, I try very hard not to cross my legs while sitting for any length of time because of possible compression and clotting. This also applies to any other type of activity that would impede good constant circulation. But, I know that in my circumstance I am at risk of a clot, so I do take extra precaution.

We are each individuals; even with the same symptoms we have different requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness