U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do any of you take blood thinner medicine?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 AM

29,204 posts, read 51,719,487 times

Advertisements

Hi, I take 7.5 mgs of Coumadin a day and well be taking this drug for the rest of my life. I take this for a past history of blood clots of lungs.

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 03:14 PM

70 posts, read 196,342 times
I also have a history of blood clots in my lungs. My hematologist told me I could take aspirin just as easily as the coumadin and get the same results. I tried to take coumadin but had an allergic reaction to it.

I take two aspirin a day (chewable children's aspirin) which are 81mg. each. She stated this would help with the thinning of my blood as well as the coumadin and will cost a heck of a lot less.

I also have to take them at a different time of day from my other medications. Some prescription medicines will affect the amount of aspirin which is absorbed into your system. You might want to check with your doctor if you're taking other medications.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:01 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,896,833 times
My husband takes a baby aspirin and plavix daily, due to a stroke and a subsequent heart surgery. If all goes well, he will not need to take either after this July. He didn't bruise at all when on the aspirin, but he's notice he bruises more easily since the plavix was added on.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM

3,722 posts, read 8,997,577 times
My 84 yr old mother takes Coumadin to prevent clots that could occur due to occasional irregular heart beat.

To anyone who takes blood thinners: The "protime" checks on a regular basis are super important, to make sure your blood is not getting too thin. You should also consider wearing a medical alert bracelet, any medical doctor treating you including dentists need to know you are taking blood thinners.

My mother almost died a couple of years ago when a different doctor (not her cardiologist) prescribed her an antibiotic for an infection on her finger. Trouble is, antibiotics put blood thinners into overdrive. She almost bled out internally. When your doctor tells you that people on blood thinners need to monitor them carefully and ask before taking any other medication (prescribed or over the counter) they are not kidding, you really do need to be careful. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM

13,636 posts, read 23,049,932 times
Dr. wanted me to take lo dose aspirin. I am healthy and see no reason for it. If I get in a serious accident or need surgery, I sure don't want to bleed to death. I believe in "don't fix whats not broke"!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:35 AM

282 posts, read 1,206,768 times
I take aspirin and plavix every day.
I had blocked arteries that were ballooned and stented. Now I take blood thinners as a precaution and the history of coronary artery disease and stroke in my family.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
I take aspirin and plavix every day.
I had blocked arteries that were ballooned and stented. Now I take blood thinners as a precaution and the history of coronary artery disease and stroke in my family.
How's the smoking cessation going - weren't you trying to quit? Will definitely help with your blood! Good luck to you!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 PM

282 posts, read 1,206,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
How's the smoking cessation going - weren't you trying to quit? Will definitely help with your blood! Good luck to you!
Hi mary~

Yes, and I still haven't had one!
Thanx!!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,377,258 times
My second pregnancy ended with a random prenatal stroke in the baby, from, what they believe was, a blood clot in the placenta. Baby is now almost 5

Due to that though, in my 3rd pregnancy, I had to take baby asprin, heparin, and then after wk 13, Lovenox. Twice a day.

Apparently, it's only an issue for me during pregnancy - so I don't believe I need anything for daily life, when not pregnant.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 AM

31,304 posts, read 30,533,940 times
Thumbs down Side effects are not so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I take 7.5 mgs of Coumadin a day and well be taking this drug for the rest of my life. I take this for a past history of blood clots of lungs.

John
My mother took Coumadin and after doing a little research on the drug I found that there are too many side effects for it that were bad. Coumadin is or has an ingredient that is used in rat poison! Go figure? Mom died of a stroke which is one of the side effects of Coumadin. You need to trust your doctor but you need to also research on your own just to be safe. I would think that aspirin would be a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness