U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,061,961 times

Advertisements

Usually when we move to a new town, we are limited to the small local pharmacy available. However, this time we have multiple choices. I'm trying to compare between Walmart, K-Mart, and Walgreens. We get at least 6 scrips a month filled on a regular basis, so it warrants some consideration. Do you have any experience with any of these? How was their service? Did they usually have your medicine in stock? Does the pharmacist talk to you to make sure you know about your medicines? Any input about these pharmacies would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM

1,009 posts, read 3,849,539 times
generic prescription programs

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,035,866 times
I prefer Walgreens for the service, and they always ask if you have any questions for the pharmacist. The bag with your meds includes a printout with extended info on the medication. I can't recall them ever not having my prescription in stock.

I hate Wal-Mart and generally avoid it at all costs, but if your commonly filled prescriptions include meds that are on their $4 generic list it would be worth it to fill those there. I have never used a K-Mart pharmacy.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,138,455 times
The problem I had with Wal Mart was the time the pharmacy closes and I expect K-Mart would be the same.. I called a RX in at WM and the automated system told me it would be ready at 7:30pm.. I arrived at 7 and they were closed and I was leaving the next day for a month. That was the last time I used Wal Mart. I have used Walgreen's and was happy with them. Any national Pharmacy would probably allow you to get a RX filled anywhere they have a store and since I travel for work, I need that option available to me.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM

20 posts, read 57,454 times
Wal Mart and K-Mart do have some good pharmacies ..

Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 AM

19,363 posts, read 27,380,962 times
If it was me, I would not use Walmart.
Reason is that no matter what time of day I shop, the pharmacy always seems to have a line.

I like using the local pharmacy attached to the food store but the service was horrible so I switched to CVS. While not as good as what I'm used to, they're doing ok.

FWIW, you need to check on what you are able to transfer and not.
Some medications can't be transferred, you need a new written script.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM

5,080 posts, read 13,987,351 times
I get most of my regular prescriptions from the K-Mart mail pharmacy.
They have fast service, no shipping fee, and automatically ship prescriptions with refills.
When the refills run out, they fax the doctor and get authorization for more.

If I need a prescription immediately, I use WalMart because we have one in town.
The K-Mart mail pharmacy is over 3,000 miles away in Florida.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM

746 posts, read 2,061,961 times
Thanks folks, we chose K-Mart. We checked out the pharmacy hours and they were slightly better than the local Walgreens. Took some scrips in today and got very friendly service. They even gave me gift cards for each new scrip, up to 4 per family member. I don't know how long that promotion will last, but it is very cool. Up to $25 for each new scrip.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 AM

5,080 posts, read 13,987,351 times
Another thing I like about K-Mart's mail-in pharmacy is they have "personalized service".

I know they probably service hundreds of thousands of people, but several times the pharmacist has called me to check on something or other.

I just submitted a prescription for Tramadol. I had been getting it for $15 for 180 pills. The pharmacist called to tell me that it had recently been removed from the $15 list and now cost $23.00. She wanted to make sure I still wanted it at that price so I wouldn't have any surprises on my credit card.

I told her to go ahead and send it and it came two days later. Even at $23.00 it's still a bargain as most of the "Discount Generic" on-line pharmacies charge around $185.00 for the same thing.

However, I think WalMart may have it on their $15 list and I don't mind standing in the line for a few minutes if I can save $8.00, especially since we will probably already be shopping in the store, but, I will still continue to get whatever prescriptions I can from the K-Mart mail pharmacy because it's a lot easier to walk across the street to the mail box than drive 25 miles to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness