Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

I have GHI insurance. I've been googling and calling up general doctors/internist and Ive been having difficulty choosing one. Is there a great central site for this?

One of my concerns is choosing a doctor who is well-informed and patient. Some of the doctors i've seen lately basically take a while to see and try to rush me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I think "word of mouth" from friends/family is your best bet....but, what works for them may not work for you! Go to several, talk to them, and get a feel for whoever fits you best! That's what we've had to do!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
That's the American health care system now. They're paid to see as many patients as possible in the shortest possible time, and they don't want to hear more than one or two complaints. Many doctors are now being trained in medical school to "tune out" patients who present more than 2 or 3 complaints, partly to save time and partly because they assume they're hypochondriacs. The system is specifically designed to concentrate available resources on patients who are not very sick. The sicker you are, the more difficult it is to get access to resources, particularly in the early stages of your diagnosis and treatment. There is no incentive for GPs to take the extra time needed to thoroughly explore a patient's condition, and in fact they are strongly disincentivized and discouraged from doing so.

My suggestion is to focus on an internist, rather than a GP, because they are more inclined by the very nature of their practice to spend extra time with a patient. When seeing a new physician, I'd also ask the scheduler how much time the doctor typically schedules for a new patient exam. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 AM

373 posts, read 482,368 times
If you don't really have any disease and just want an extra talk time during visit, go see an NP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness