U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM

161 posts, read 706,836 times

Advertisements

If so, I'm interested in learning about your post-surgery experience. I'm schedule to have my right (predominant) hand done next week and I'm getting a little nervous. Mostly because I have a little one. I do have family coming into town for 2 weeks which I understand is very much needed. So, that will help take care of some of the stress.

I'm interested to hear about...

- how you felt after surgery?

- how did you handle bathing, dressing, etc?

- how long did it take before you could start using your hand for minor things like typing, driving, carrying light things, etc?

- were you able to return to work (non-heavy labor) relatively quickly?

- my primary concern is the care of my son after family leaves. If you have children, what limitations did you run into after the first couple of weeks when the stitches/bandages came out? Were you able to change diapers, cook, carry in and out of car seat, etc?

- how long, would you say, it took for relatively decent recovery where you started to feel somewhat normal and could do most everything?

- are you happy with the results?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,069,067 times
- how you felt after surgery?

I had it done on my right hand about 10 yrs ago or so. I do alot of typing in my work life. Procedure took about 30 min. I woke up just groggy. Hand and fingers were numb. That night fingers hurt some as the numbness wore off; nothing major.

- how did you handle bathing, dressing, etc?

[b] I used my left hand as best as I could. You'll be surprised at what you can do when you have to. If you take a shower you have to cover the hand with a plastic bag to keep it dry.[/B

]- how long did it take before you could start using your hand for minor things like typing, driving, carrying light things, etc?

It was a couple of weeks for me. Plus I had to go to one physical therapy appt for them to be sure the hand/fingers were working properly.
I drove the very next day.

- were you able to return to work (non-heavy labor) relatively quickly?

I was off a week; took a week's vacation. I did have typing to do when I got back. I noticed for about a month or so my right hand would get tired while typing.

- my primary concern is the care of my son after family leaves. If you have children, what limitations did you run into after the first couple of weeks when the stitches/bandages came out? Were you able to change diapers, cook, carry in and out of car seat, etc?

I can't advise on that; I'd talk to the doctor about limitations with children, etc. I only had one very small stitch. You'll want to be careful lifting since that hand/wrist will be slightly weaker.

- how long, would you say, it took for relatively decent recovery where you started to feel somewhat normal and could do most everything?

I bounced back pretty quick. After a couple of weeks my hand was fine.

- are you happy with the results?

Yes, very happy. My sister also had this done; anyone who uses their hands in a repeated manner usually develops it. It is not really any big deal, just a small surgical procedure. Good luck.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.[/quote]

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 07-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,562,052 times
My right hand was done in 1993 with the procedure where they cut into your plam. It was done under a local (my choice over twilight sleep) and I could feel that bone deep pain go as soon as he finished cutting the tendon/ligamnet/whatever theyc ut. It never really hurt much but my hand was wrapped for about 10 days-2 weeks until the staples came out. I could do stuff but my hand as completely restricted and I couldn't use my fingers. The hand was more like a club.

Two years ago I had my left hand done, different state, different doc. This time I had to have twilight sleep (conscious sedation) and he went in just above the wrist and tunneled down. It was not painful, I had a smaller bandage, and it healed quicker.

I am estatic that I had them done!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-29-2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-01-2009, 02:41 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,551,025 times
I had it done on my left hand many years ago. The doc wanted to do both. It is a good thing I only had the one done as I lost alot of my strength in the left hand and also now have arthritis in that hand, especially my thumb area.
I still have pain in the hand many years later!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 92,662 times
I am in massage school currently and just learned that a lot can be done to help carpal tunnel with massage and trigger point therapy. Look up a massage therapist that does Trigger Point Therapy and they should be able to help.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 PM

5,632 posts, read 10,362,190 times
Here's food for thought: my DH went on B6 vitamins and no longer suffers from his painful carpal tunnel...he was considering surgery for the pain but decided to try the B6 treatment. He notices the pain comes back, though not as bad, when he forgets to take the B6 for a couple of days...and that reminds him to keep taking it.

His dosage is one B6-100 daily as well as a good multi-vitamin and some flax-oil capsules for more anti-inflammatory benefits.

Here's some info for you:

Prevention's Healing with Vitamins Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,097,254 times
Maybe a bottle of B6 is worth a try: "Pyridoxine (B6) supplementation has been shown to... cure carpal tunnel syndrome and eliminate need for surgery." Ref - www.lef.org (search: carpal tunnel B6)

"In several research studies, vitamin B6 deficiency has been associated with carpal tunnel syndrome." Ref link: Carpal Tunnel Relief - Best Natural Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatments

Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 PM

161 posts, read 386,562 times
i had both wrists done a few weeks apart and really had no trouble after ward. i waited till they healed before doing any lifting and such,
but all in all it was much better than not being able to feel my hands all the time and them going to sleep on me...

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,389,261 times
I had both hands done a couple of months apart several years ago.
No problems, and the numbness in my hands was cured.

My wife had one done a couple of months ago.
Evidently they have improved the procedures because she only had a small incision about half an inch long on her wrist, while I had a large scar about three inches long in the palm of my hand.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM

5,656 posts, read 17,729,521 times
Thanks for all this, I believe I have just developed carpal tunnel. In my pointer and middle fingers from excessively clicking/using the mouse. But from what I understand from reading, it also can be developed from sleeping positions. Which I feel may have contributed.
It has been only about a week where I feel numbness/tingling in those two fingers. So I got a hand brace that says it is specifically for ct and wear it at night. And I have been taking B6 for a couple days now.
Hopefully it will subside. Does the numbness ever subside on its own?

I am taking a seriously hard look at the ergonomics of my desk at work now. I thought I was OK, guess not though.
I heard they give you shots to make it subside too. I am guessing surgery is a last option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness